News:

• May 13, 2024, 03:32:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flyin' on Saturday  (Read 932 times)

Offline Graham Collins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Flyin' on Saturday
« on: August 11, 2009, 08:05:37 PM »
Finally had a chance to get out and get some fun flying in. The RC club I belong to had a bit of fun fly and took along a 1/2a control sport flyer.

The plane is about 20 years old and has had a Cox TD, Norvel 049, Norvel 061, AP061, PAW80 and most recently a CS 061.

The CS 061 has been modified to use the original head as a clamp to clamp my own made turbo plug button head and the needle valve has been replaced with one from an OS Pet .099. Otherwise the engine has only been stripped, given a good cleaning and a good breaking in (although it still not quite broken in after 2 seasons of intermittent use in addition to the bench running and it just keeps getting better).

Using 25% nitro and 21% oil (50/50 synthetic/castor) I get about 18,500 or so rpm on an APC 6x2 prop. This combination seems to be the best so far for this plane. I fly it on .012 x 35' lines and would probably handle 40 to 42' foot lines. I use the .012 as .008 are just to fragile to use on the grass stubble on which I fly.

The plan itself is an enlargement of Walt Mooney's Wittman VW racer peanut design - wingspan is 21" with a 6" chord and all up weight is just over 7 ounces. I has been a good old reliable sport flyer and can do most of stunt pattern - overhead maneuvers are not the prettiest however.

On Saturday I even got some of three of the RC'ers to have a go - they had all flown control line 15 to 20 years ago but not since. We used nearly 3/4'ers of a quart of fuel.  Grand time was had by all and I hope to do it again before too long.

cheers, Graham near Ottawa Canada

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
Re: Flyin' on Saturday
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 10:01:31 PM »

Some R/Cers don't mind admitting they like at least an occasional bout with a control line plane from time to time, Others  Would not say so under  any pressure but when you can say that you burned nearly 3/4'ers of a quart of fuel on a single 1/2A plane in an afternoon that by itself speaks volumes.

Next time, take a picture of each of them after a flight or two holding the plane and note the expression on their face, then let them deny all they want!
Make sure you post the pics here!!!

Good on ya mate! 

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Flyin' on Saturday
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 11:29:04 PM »
Cute plane!  Good show!!!  #^ y1 <= H^^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here