News:

• May 15, 2024, 12:15:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LiPo glow head power  (Read 448 times)

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Flying
    • Revolution Sensor Company
LiPo glow head power
« on: April 28, 2024, 02:07:21 PM »
For the kids to use, I make up sets of glow clip, wire, switch, and two D cells in parallel.

But I often have to make 50 or more starts in one day, and want to know the status of the battery. So I made a LiPo version as shown in the photo.
I bought a DC/DC power supply on Amazon (made by Drok) that has a capability of 4.5A. It has adjustable output current limit and adjustable output voltage.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FL6PBZF?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

With the display, I can always know the voltage of the LiPo, as well as if the glow head clip is making good contact.
I set the output voltage to 1.4V and the current to 2.4A. This covers all of the Cox glow heads. (One of the high performance glow heads is only at 1.2V when it is at 2.4A. If it went up to 1.4V, the glow wire would get too hot, so it will not start because it only oscillates back and forth. So having both current limit and voltage setting makes sure all the glow plugs operate well.)

I use a 1500maH 3S battery that easily lasts all day. The battery is on Velcro, for easy swapping.
The power supply includes its own power switch, but still has some idle current when off, so I added an external SPST switch.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 03:33:11 PM by Dave Nyce »
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 
AMA: L356

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: LiPo glow head power
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2024, 03:23:19 PM »
   Now you jus need to put that in a square battery box with a Ray-O-Vac or Eveready label on it!!. Like the square ones that Cox put in their starter kits years ago. If you have a battery, the outside unwraps and lays flat on a copier!! Apply that to some chipboard and amaze your friends!! What are the details on the power supply? Got an item number or other ID for it? I wonder if that all would fit in the tube I make the faux dry cells out of? Looks great!!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Flying
    • Revolution Sensor Company
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2024, 03:31:45 PM »
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 
AMA: L356

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2024, 07:16:14 PM »
Mr. Dan, all,
Those battery "covers" have been reproduced by enterprising individuals and can be found in the "files and manuals" section in CEF. An account is required to access that content along with manuals for engines, vintage Cox products/planes and other neat 1/2A paraphernalia.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2024, 08:08:19 AM »
Mr. Dan, all,
Those battery "covers" have been reproduced by enterprising individuals and can be found in the "files and manuals" section in CEF. An account is required to access that content along with manuals for engines, vintage Cox products/planes and other neat 1/2A paraphernalia.

Yep, that's where I got mine i think. I had several of the flat batteries so unwrapped those and flattened those out to copy if necessary. It's just fun to pull those out to use from time to time to see what people's reaction is. It's usually "Where did you find those???"   y1 H^^

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here