Building Tips and technical articles. > 1/2 A building.

1/2a Sig Akromaster

<< < (2/3) > >>

kenneth cook:
               Ray, your weight is similar to my Stork. I too found the Cox 5x3 to work well for the Norvel. I thought I had a 5.5x2.5 which you mentioned but it was a 5.5 x 2. That turned out to be a real air beater. It needed more pitch for certain. The shape of the 5.5 x 2.5 is also slightly different but it works quite well for Norvel's. It just gets confusing when ordering as I discovered I had many of the 5.5 x 2's and no 2.5's.

Larry Renger:
I agree that the 5.5x2.5 works really well.

944_Jim:
Wow, the plane looks great!

So the kit was built stock except you are using a 1/2 engine on it? Or did you use the wing parts but built the wing with smaller rib-spacing and scale the rest of the plane down to a more typical side for 1/2A?

With Sig Akros going for around $50 on eBay, this opens up a lot of quick build planes around the .061 engines.

ray copeland:
Sig lists the kit for $31.97. Buy one and you can make more like i did. I only used the ribs, leading edge, spars and wing tips from the kit. It is the full 34 inch wingspan. I don't like the split elevator so i made a full one and put it on the back end with the rudder chopped a little short. I used contest balsa for all the parts i copied from the originals and used 1/16 ply for the doublers. I worried about the weight but the .061 pulls it fine, i believe a norvel .049 would do also. The trailing edge was the hardest part to copy, also used smaller size maple motor mounts, on the next one i need to weigh the difference between bolting the engine on or using blind nuts. This was a fairly easy build and flies great. 

Dan McEntee:
  Am I just not seeing it, or have you not mentioned fuselage construction?  What are some details on the fuselage?
    Thanks a lot,
  Dan McEntee

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version