News:

• May 10, 2024, 03:01:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2A Pathfinder build log  (Read 15457 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
1/2A Pathfinder build log
« on: June 15, 2016, 08:41:46 PM »
I have started to build a Brodak 1/2A Pathfinder.  The kit seem to have good wood.  The only wood missing is the sticks required to do the fuselage and tail feather cutouts.  I did have a few minor problems figuring out how to do certain things.

The first was figuring out where to place the leveling stick that goes under the trailing edge of the ribs. The problem is that the pictures in the instruction book are faded and it is hard to see detail. It soon became obvious that the leveling strip went along the inboard edge of the trailing edge sheeting.  This caused the spar to be at right angle to the building board.  Speaking of the spar, when gluing on the plywood doubler place scrap piece form the wing ribs in several of the wing slots to make sure the notches are aligned.

The next problem was the cutting in half of the short ribs.  I cut them exactly in half. It is best to leave a little of the v notch on the top half of the rib.  This way it is easier to align the rib on the leading edge. Also it is necessary to keep the two halves of  each rib together.  That way they glue back together straight and true.  As you can see in the picture I laid them out on the plans as I cut then in half.

The line slider and wing tips were a little vague.  The 4-40 hardware that came with the slider seemed a little large.  I replaces it with 2-56 hardware.  I made a nut plate from a piece of tin stock with a 2-56 nut soldered to it.  The wing tip that holds the slider has it's center section removed to allow the lead-outs to pass through.  Before installing the wing tip I only cut out about a 75% gap.  Per the plans I then cut the notches for mounting the slider and glued the slider in place.  I then glued the wing tinp in place making certain it was centered.  After the last of the win tip ribs were installed I removed the reaming 25% of the gap. This assured the wing tip held is shape while being installed.

I built a sanding jig to taper the ailerons.  The strip of plywood glued to the base is the same thickness as the un-sanded ailerons.  I mark two sand-to lines on the to-be-thinned part of the ailerons.  The masking tape on the sanding block slides along plywood strip.  When sanding I check often to make sure I am sanding straight and am sanding to the sanding line.  Of course you flip the aileron to remove equal amounts from both sides.  I did not do the cut-out option of the inboard aileron.

The bell crank, aileron hinging, and aileron tips were all per the instructions and plans.  The out board aileron tip is mounted with the provided sheet metal tabs allowing it to be used as a trim tab.

So the wing is ready for it's final sanding and covering.  Next I will build the tail feathers.  I will do the lighting cut-outs and add the stick bracing on these parts.  I prefer a noise heave aircraft to a tail heavy one.  It takes a lot less weight in the tail to achieve the correct CG
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 1/2A Pathfinder build log
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 08:42:54 PM »
More pictures
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 08:43:47 PM »
The last of the wing pictures
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 08:48:52 PM »
OOPS two more pictures
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 04:50:03 AM »
Great job, Thanks!
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is just right!

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 10:10:45 AM »
What power system are you going to use? Nitro? Electric?

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 01:51:40 PM »
What power system are you going to use? Nitro? Electric?

I have on hand a NV AMD 061.  I plan to run it on a balloon tank.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 09:48:59 PM »
John,
I have hundreds of flights on Pathfinder/Norvel Big Mig .061's combos.
Be interested in the performance w/ the AMD as I have two in the drawer.

Roger V.
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 06:30:03 AM »
John,
I have hundreds of flights on Pathfinder/Norvel Big Mig .061's combos.
Be interested in the performance w/ the AMD as I have two in the drawer.

Roger V.

What size tank and is it set up as a uniflow?  I have had good luck with balloon tanks but they require replacing the balloon.  A hard tank would be nice if it works well. 
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 07:48:07 AM »
John,
Tank is 2 oz Sullivan, only two lines , (1) brass feed line and surgical tubing to clunk, (2) fuel fill and "ram air" , line terminates in the "bubble on the tank. Fill by pointing nose down until desired amount of fuel is seen in in the tank or as measured from syringe.
I dont believe this will work w/ the AMD confi guration as they do require more fuel feed pressure than my Pathfinder config. will provide.
They do make a backplate with a pressure tap that I have not tried, might work!
I do use bladders on my 1/2A Barecat. There is a pic of it in the photo gallery section. district 5, 2nd row from bottom, left side (blue and white) Also pic of one of my Pathfinders , 16 rows up from bottom, right side .
Both are very capable performers.
Note: I do a dry assembly of my Pathfinders to get cg location. They normally build nose heavy. I dont like to add weight to a 1/2A if it can be avoided. I normally shorten nose 15/16" and cg is in area of those on plans. Never have added nose or tail weight for balance.   Finished model without fuel normally weighs 11 oz.
Any other questions, please ask
Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 08:19:36 PM »
Tail feathers are ready for shaping and final sanding.  I make cutout templates by copying the plans and use a glue stick to attach plan to part.  I then use a jig saw to cut out the center chunk.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 09:28:42 PM »
I appears I am mistaken on what NV engine I have.  Per a NV blog web sight If you look in the muffler port you can see the inlet ports.  It says the AME will have 3 elongated ports and the BigMig will have 5 round ports.  Mine has the 5 round looking ports.  This blog post talked about an AME and a BigMig.  The current NV web sight lists an AMD and a BigMig.  I wounder what is the difference between the AMD and the AME.  Anyway it looks like I have a BigMig so it should run good as a 1/2A stunt engine on a standard tank.  I have had good luck with a balloon tank and I may use that.

Speaking of mufflers I don't have one for this engine.  NV sells one for this engine.  Would I really want to run a muffler on a 1/2A?
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 12:11:04 AM »
 It's my understanding that the Big Mig is more of a low rpm, bigger prop (relatively) than the AME, which is more of a high rev engine.
If that is correct, you have the better of the two for stunt.
R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 07:03:33 AM »
Chris,
Agree, off to club annual picnic and some flying before it gets toooo hot! Will add more info re my config. tonight.

John,
Sorry I hijacked your "build thread".

Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 08:27:08 AM »
By the way looking at the picture below if I ever build another 1/2A pathfinder I would not cut the short ribs in half.  I would load then onto the spar before I installed the leading edge.  I would not glue them at this time.  When installing the leading edge I would glue the full ribs first and then square up and glue the short ribs last.  Should take less glue and save a little weight.  It would definitely be faster.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2016, 10:02:19 AM »
It's, funny, I was wondering about that with the ribs myself. It would be interesting to hear what the designer had to say about that and why they instruct to do it that way.
I'm happy to read your thread.
Kind regards,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2016, 07:45:35 PM »
I appears I am mistaken on what NV engine I have.  Per a NV blog web sight If you look in the muffler port you can see the inlet ports.  It says the AME will have 3 elongated ports and the BigMig will have 5 round ports.  Mine has the 5 round looking ports.  This blog post talked about an AME and a BigMig.  The current NV web sight lists an AMD and a BigMig.  I wounder what is the difference between the AMD and the AME.  Anyway it looks like I have a BigMig so it should run good as a 1/2A stunt engine on a standard tank.  I have had good luck with a balloon tank and I may use that.

Speaking of mufflers I don't have one for this engine.  NV sells one for this engine.  Would I really want to run a muffler on a 1/2A?

If you remove the head/plug assembly you can see the ports easily.
Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2016, 07:50:39 PM »
By the way looking at the picture below if I ever build another 1/2A pathfinder I would not cut the short ribs in half.  I would load then onto the spar before I installed the leading edge.  I would not glue them at this time.  When installing the leading edge I would glue the full ribs first and then square up and glue the short ribs last.  Should take less glue and save a little weight.  It would definitely be faster.

John,
I've always done it this way. It works!
Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2016, 08:00:17 PM »
Chris,
Agree, off to club annual picnic and some flying before it gets toooo hot! Will add more info re my config. tonight.

John,
Sorry I hijacked your "build thread".

Roger

Great picnic, good food, lots of flying!
My Big Mig .061's use a Galbreth (sp) head, two Norvel head shims, Nelson plug, APC 6x2 prop. Have never seen a need to go above 15% Nitro, power is more than adequate.Engines tach over 24000 on the ground and, if i remember correctly, run at ~26750 in the air (we have access to an audio tach). Lap time w/ 48' x .008 lines is 3.9 - 4.0 seconds..

« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 07:39:32 AM by Roger Vizioli »
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2016, 08:14:59 PM »
I just took the carburetor off my .061 and put on the venturi.
Now all I have to do is finish the 3 molded carbon racing sailplanes (that I install gear for other people in), then finish my 1/2A Stuka.
That's all....
Sigh.

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2016, 08:49:12 PM »
Did the cutout on the fuselage.  Next step is to add plywood doubters and motor mounts.  I have a question.  Is the cowling and spinner ring add anything but good looks?  To save weight I plan to omit them.  Also it permits me to use lock nuts instead of blind nuts for mounting the motor.   
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2016, 07:34:03 AM »
By the way when you do the fuselage cut out you don't have any place to put the push rod flex guide.  Whats the fix for this?   ???
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2016, 08:55:36 AM »
John,
The .080" wire provided in kit will flex without a support.
I have used .10" OD  threaded one end, P'rod wire without flex support, never a problem. Clevis's both ends, one threaded/one slip fit JB welded on final assy. after flap/elev locked at 0 - 0 .
With the "current"  old pic posting problems, dont want to over load Sparky's repair tasks so sending my P'rod pic to your e-mail.

Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2016, 09:46:41 AM »
John,
The .080" wire provided in kit will flex without a support.
I have used .10" OD  threaded one end, P'rod wire without flex support, never a problem. Clevis's both ends, one threaded/one slip fit JB welded on final assy. after flap/elev locked at 0 - 0 .
With the "current"  old pic posting problems, dont want to over load Sparky's repair tasks so sending my P'rod pic to your e-mail.

Roger
Got the picture. The .10 OD is 4-40 rode.  Sound like a the way to go.  Thanks!
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 02:53:08 PM »
its starting to look like a PATHFINDER.  I am covering the pieces separately.  Pictured is the start of a dry fit. As always, my finishes are 10 ft view-able only.   LL~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 01:10:25 PM »
I was hoping for 11 oz.  Looks like it will be around 12 oz.  Should still be a good flyer.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 01:17:58 PM »
Might be better in wind at 12 oz?
What is the wing area??
Looking like maiden flight is drawing near, "YAY"!

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2016, 01:40:54 PM »
Might be better in wind at 12 oz?
What is the wing area??
Looking like maiden flight is drawing near, "YAY"!

R,
Chris

It has 236 sq in.  Nrvel .061 power.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2016, 02:50:34 PM »
I'm going to run the same mill on my 1/2A Baby Stuka...I think the wing area is similar, might be a bit larger in fact.

I think I will need a 1-1/4oz uni-flow tank to be safe to fly a full pattern.
What size tank will you use? Balloon, muffler pressure, or uni-flow?
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2016, 04:29:48 PM »
I'm going to run the same mill on my 1/2A Baby Stuka...I think the wing area is similar, might be a bit larger in fact.

I think I will need a 1-1/4oz uni-flow tank to be safe to fly a full pattern.
What size tank will you use? Balloon, muffler pressure, or uni-flow?

Not sure what tank but I have had good luck with balloon tanks.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2016, 06:03:50 PM »
I was hoping for 11 oz.  Looks like it will be around 12 oz.  Should still be a good flyer.

John,
We have one in our club, never weighed , but i am sure it is 12 +++ oz. Yes, it is a good flyer!!!!    #^

Roger V.
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2016, 05:39:14 PM »
It all comes together.  Installing the wing.  Much checking to make sure it is all squared up.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 06:24:05 AM by John Rist »
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2016, 02:48:40 PM »
I like the transparency.  Beautiful construction. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2016, 04:23:02 PM »
Agreed. Looks great!
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2016, 08:12:04 AM »
I wounder what is the difference between the AMD and the AME. 

I believe none. I think one is Cyrillic alphabet and one is the English translation.

Many fields require it. They work well plus you can tap the muffler pressure if you desire.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2016, 03:33:26 PM »
It's ready for engine test runs and first flight.  Thank is a 2 oz round set up as a uniflow.  Motor is a NV .061 Big Mig.  Finished weight is 12 oz.  I still have to make up a set of lines.  Whats a good starting length for this airplane.  I fly on paved circles that are set up for 70' lines, so space is not a problem.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2016, 03:35:05 PM »
3 more pictures.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2016, 09:16:19 PM »
It's ready for engine test runs and first flight.  Thank is a 2 oz round set up as a uniflow.  Motor is a NV .061 Big Mig.  Finished weight is 12 oz.  I still have to make up a set of lines.  Whats a good starting length for this airplane.  I fly on paved circles that are set up for 70' lines, so space is not a problem.

John, I dont know your flying experience but it s/b good based on your construction pics!!!!!  The plane will fly the full pattern!!
I fly on various lengths of .008" multi strand. (48', 46'). I also have a set of 45' for windy days and first flights. Have not tried the Spiderwire types, as yet.
FYI - with the shortened nose config I mentioned before, if tank is empty it will sit on three wheels and only takes a slight tap on the top of the rudder for the nose to lift and tail to make ground contact. Lap times of 3.95 - 4.1 are common on 48' lines.
Wishing you a great first flight. Please provide info after first flights!  
thx,
Roger v.  
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2016, 07:48:39 AM »
Depending on where the elevator horn is set, you may have more flap throw than elevator. Consider moving the bellcrank to flap clevis down and the elevator drive clevis up.

Otherwise, it is gorgeous!!!  H^^

My electric version weighs about 14 ounces and does a very clean pattern. I think you will be very happy with this model!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2016, 12:47:58 PM »
I like it but think the 2 0z tank will run that Norvel a long long time....grin

beautiful model and good build thread
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2016, 01:20:05 PM »
Depending on where the elevator horn is set, you may have more flap throw than elevator. Consider moving the bellcrank to flap clevis down and the elevator drive clevis up.

Otherwise, it is gorgeous!!!  H^^

My electric version weighs about 14 ounces and does a very clean pattern. I think you will be very happy with this model!

Larry, Would you be kind enough to share your motor / esc / lipo setup?
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is just right!

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2016, 02:32:03 PM »
Larry, Would you be kind enough to share your motor / esc / lipo setup?
and pictures if you would.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2016, 05:37:45 PM »

I checked the elevator to flap throw.  The flap horn is long and the elevator horn is short.  It appears that I have around a 2:1 ratio between the two with the elevator moving the most.  The controls are all set per the Brodak blueprint and instruction book.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2016, 07:20:26 PM »
I started the test run process.  The NV 061 did not have enough suction to run a uniflow tank.  I did get in a test run in by removing the vent plug and running the tank as standard suction tank.  However it seemed that I was getting some variation from full tank to empty tank.  The uniflow tank was a Sullivan 2 oz round tank.  It occurred that this tank could be converted to a balloon tank by inserting a balloon. I have not test run it yet but this setup yielded a tank with a 1 oz capacity.  This should be enough for my needs.  Most of my flying is just sport flying.  I am planing to take a stab at the beginners pattern but I have many full size aircraft for this.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2016, 12:08:47 AM »
Hi John,

Beautiful airplane!

Hard to tell, but it looks to me like the vent tube bends on your tank are nearly collapsed? Could they be limiting the air flow into the tank?

If you want to try muffler pressure I'll look in my tank stash to see if I have one with a pressure nipple. If I have one you can have it as I don't use mufflers on my Norvels. If you want to try pressure, send me your mail address by PM, or email it to the email address listed in my user profile.

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2016, 07:15:42 AM »
Hi John,

Beautiful airplane!

Hard to tell, but it looks to me like the vent tube bends on your tank are nearly collapsed? Could they be limiting the air flow into the tank?

If you want to try muffler pressure I'll look in my tank stash to see if I have one with a pressure nipple. If I have one you can have it as I don't use mufflers on my Norvels. If you want to try pressure, send me your mail address by PM, or email it to the email address listed in my user profile.

Bill

Thanks for the offer.  Let me try the balloon tank set up first.    :!   I had a weird thought.  I have a balloon on the inside of a standard tank.  I bet muffler presser would work.  Vent the presser between the tank and the balloon.  The presser would squeeze the balloon.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2016, 07:50:31 AM »

Thanks for the offer.  Let me try the balloon tank set up first.    :!   I had a weird thought.  I have a balloon on the inside of a standard tank.  I bet muffler presser would work.  Vent the presser between the tank and the balloon.  The presser would squeeze the balloon.

John,
Was it determined that the engine is an AME? If so, it does need pressure. i had a similar setup on a 1/2 A LL Stiletto and it would not run properly. changed to a bladder, problem solved. My Big Mig .061's will draw fuel from the 2 oz cylindrical tank.
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2016, 08:55:49 AM »
The motor is a Turnigy D2826/6 2200kV. 6x4 APC prop, 1800 2s battery. I suspect that the esc is around 35 amps but the marking is buried next to the fuselage, so I can't see it.  H^^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2016, 12:13:23 PM »
Well I finally got an acceptable engine run from my NV 061.  The balloon tank didn't work all that well so I went to a bladder tank.  Starting a bladder tank setup is a bit of a pain, especially if you are alone.  It takes 3 hands, one to hold the airplane, one to hold the starter motor and one to release the fuel clamp. To solve this problem I made a tie down board to hold the airplane.  Once I got it set up and running I had rock steady RPMs till the last drop.  The bladder is inside a 4 oz Sulivan tank.  This is bigger than is necessary but it is what I had on hand and I needed the noise weight for proper CG.  I did have one bladder explode.  Being inside a tank contained the mess.   y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2016, 12:19:57 PM »
Now I wait for the flight reports.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2016, 03:14:15 PM »
                A very easy solution to your bladder is to provide a alligator clip mounted on your fuse directly in front of your tank. You can grind off the teeth, place the tubing in the jaws of the clip to retain the fuel in the bladder. You can now hold and flip operating the clip with your thumb on the same hand. A pinch off can be made with a simple piece of music wire as well mounted to the fuse, slide the fuel line in between, when the engine is running, flip the fuel line out of the pinch off

Jim Roselle

« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2016, 03:30:41 PM »
Are you using the stock needle valve with the bladder?

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2016, 07:18:30 AM »
Are you using the stock needle valve with the bladder?
Yes but is is vert touchey.  I may research a fine thread needle.   Any suggestions?
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2016, 08:26:42 AM »
Yes but is is vert touchey.  I may research a fine thread needle.   Any suggestions?

John,I purchased my fine thread NVA's from Doug Galbraeth years ago. Just checked,  They are not on his web site for Norvels right now, but.......  Suggest you contact him.

Tel:  530-400-3562     Web site:  F*1*C*do*ug@aol.com  <-- remove *'s before using.

fyi, his Norvel heads and Nelson plugs are also recommended. If you purchase same, use two head shims w/15%N for more than adequate performance

Roger Vizioli
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2016, 07:33:04 PM »
John,I purchased my fine thread NVA's from Doug Galbraeth years ago. Just checked,  They are not on his web site for Norvels right now, but.......  Suggest you contact him.

Tel:  530-400-3562     Web site:  F*1*C*do*ug@aol.com  <-- remove *'s before using.

fyi, his Norvel heads and Nelson plugs are also recommended. If you purchase same, use two head shims w/15%N for more than adequate performance

Roger Vizioli

I checked with Doug.  He does not have a NVA that fits the NV 061.  He can supply a Nelson plug because it is the same as a COX.  Texas Timers has a NVA that would work however it is JB welded in place.  SO I think , for now, I will stay with the stock NVA.  I am getting consistent runs with it.  You just have to understand that a 1/4 turn covers the set range.   y1
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 11:59:44 AM by John Rist »
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2016, 08:20:13 PM »
John,
Have a fellow modeler friend who is at the NATS. Will speak to him when he gets home. Might be able to help!

Have fun, keep us posted on your flights!
Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2016, 05:35:07 PM »
              John, depending on which venturi is supplied to that .061, you can use the Texas Timer assembly or find yourself a Cox (red) postage stamp backplate and press out that assembly. The Cox needles are the brass needle with no knob with the black friction sleeve. These are the 128 TPI just like the Texas Timer version. Cut a piece of 5/32 tubing the same width of the venturi even a tad smaller in width and file a hole in the center. This hole is where the hole in the spraybar lines up. The 5/32 tubing is just a sleeve. The tubing can be soldered to the spraybar. Just clean and flux the perimeter this way no solder wicks into the hole in the spraybar. Sometimes the sleeved assembly is rather a tight fit, if not, a touch of JB weld works real well. JB weld can easily be cleaned off using standard rubbing alcohol. If you know anyone who has a Larry Driskill needle, these were a direct replacement and bolt right in.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2016, 07:28:10 PM »
Got in 2 flights today.  It flies great.   SO far all I have done is level flight and a few loops.  It was a little light on the lines and I was afraid to go inverted.  I need to adjust the line guide a little aft and try again.  Take off and landings are quite smooth.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2016, 09:02:31 PM »
Cool deal, John.
Hope your next flight report comes soon.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2016, 09:59:35 AM »
Sounds like you have a winner. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2016, 04:12:11 PM »
Very nice rig you got there.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2016, 10:50:47 PM »
Photo of a ugly fat guy and a good looking Pathfinder at the field.  Second test flight yet to come.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2016, 07:43:47 AM »
Tell your friend that is a great picture, John.

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here