News:

• May 06, 2024, 01:22:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Source for bights.  (Read 1902 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Source for bights.
« on: September 17, 2013, 04:57:46 PM »
Where does one go to get bights for Spectra lines?  Is this a fishing supply house thing?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Source for bights.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 07:01:05 AM »
I must be dumb  ???  what's a bights.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 08:47:51 AM »
A line has an end, a middle, and the rest of the spool.  When tying knots the very end is a "tag" and the middle is a "bight", the rest of the spool (or the stuff at your feet or on the table) is "standing" (don't stand on it). 

So a "bight" is a "bite" of the middle of the line.

The "standing" end is NOT meant to be stood upon.

The "tag" is that short little bit left outside the knot.

"Line" is cable, string, or rope with an assigned purpose.

Phil

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 10:38:14 AM »
I must be dumb  ???  what's a bights.

According to the AMA rule book, a bight is a metal ring that you tie off your lines to.  I can't find that as a definition anywhere else -- Phil's definition seems to be the dictionary one: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bight.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 11:42:54 AM »
I've been around boats all my life. 

The 5-turn uni-knot tied on the bight is perfect for fishing and control lines for good reason- it self tightens and won't slip.  Simply fold about a foot of line over to form a bight, then tie the knot treating this doubled portion as the end of the line. 

I recommend tying the knot using a straight end, around a wire, rod, or screw several times before trying to tie the doubled version. 

Since spectra line is so slippery I like to leave 1/4-3/8 of an inch of the tag end out.  I also use pliers on the 3 ends, at least 1 inch from the knot so the damage gets cut away, and several wraps around a heavy rod for the standing end, to pull the knot tight once it is arranged and snug. 

I have best luck cutting spectra by holding the scissors in place and drawing the line through the point the blades meet.  Good side cutters or nail clippers are my next choice.  Cutting spectra like paper with scissors won't work.

Now...how to mark so your lines end up exactly the same length...I haven't figured that out perfectly yet.  I use a sharpie to mark, and try to tie the knot to include the mark after it is tightened, and this seems to work best. 

Phil

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 11:56:03 AM »
So is this one of those public embarrassment leads to learning things?  "Tied on a bight" is Fisherman for "doubled up before tying?"

And I can just tie the line onto line clips or whatever?

Could someone who speaks both Fisherman and English submit a clarification to the rulebook if so?
AMA 64232

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 12:52:22 PM »
So is this one of those public embarrassment leads to learning things?  "Tied on a bight" is Fisherman for "doubled up before tying?"

And I can just tie the line onto line clips or whatever?

Could someone who speaks both Fisherman and English submit a clarification to the rulebook if so?

The fisherman probably would say "doubled" and the sailor talking about the bight probably isn't going to touch the ends, but instead grab a section of the middle and tie a knot, arranging it so there were no ends other than the standing ends.

I just consulted the CL general rules for '13-'14 (again). The statement of a "bight" really is just a "increase your word power", though it is accurate.

I am unclear if tying directly to clips is permitted.  It would be nice if it were.  I tie to eyelets (thimbles), then install the clips to the eyelets.  I also find that tying to eyelets is easier if a loop is formed of (arbitrary size), the knot is tied, arranged, and snugged.  The line is then wet and the eyelet inserted into the loop, and the loop pulled tight carefully around the eyelet.  The Uni-knot is designed to tie to a wire hook as a direct termination.

Phil

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 01:05:27 PM »
Is there a way to tie that knot so that you end up with two lines the same length?
AMA 64232

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 01:22:22 PM »
Is there a way to tie that knot so that you end up with two lines the same length?

For 1/2a, loop it through the handle.  Perfect every time ;-)

For larger....still working on it.  I mark the lines along side each other with sharpie.  I then tie the knot to include the mark...which sometimes works... as the knot is arranged.  Then I tighten the knot. 

Since the mark is included in the knot the length should be very close to each other, however this is a knot with a lot of turns AND it is a sliding type knot so arranging the knot usually moves it off the mark some.

For lead outs I tie a giant loop so the knot closes it.  I can then pass the "bight" though the tip guide, the control horn, back through the tip guide, over the eyelet, and pull the eyelet to tighten the loop over the control horn to cinch tight.  I tie up 3 lead outs and get 2 that match   ??? so less than perfect even with care.

I have used these loops on a couple open-wing planes, and now 1 closed wing plane.  The leads are pretty long out the wingtip, and it pulls more than line strength.  In theory it should be about 2x line strength since it is doubled over all the way, but I haven't tested to failure.

Phil

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 11:20:49 AM »
My Dad was a Navy man, UDT in '41-'45. He taught me the tying of a Square knot when I was 4.

"The Standing end over the Bitter end, form a bight; The Bitter end over the Standing end, secure the knot."
Haven't encountered any Standing ends of late, but at 70 the 'Bitter End' is almost in sight...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here