News:

• April 23, 2024, 05:36:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2a P-40 stunter cox reed valve new build  (Read 3206 times)

Offline Gary Schrader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
1/2a P-40 stunter cox reed valve new build
« on: September 27, 2013, 07:25:52 PM »
Hi all.

Here are some pics of my almost completed 1/2a P-40 semi scale stunter, own design for Cox reed valve .049. Inspired by Aeromodellers "Kittywasp, which I have wanted to build since i was 12 years old. This is larger but has no flaps. Span 30" with approx. 165 sq." area. Airfoil from Pat Johnson P-40 but no leading edge wing taper. Weight is 8.2 oz. with no fuel tank of color as shown. Need some advice from Design Man:  Set up advice for this combo using standard early white plastic backplate with wire circlip reed retainer. What cylinder and glowhead (bee or TD)? as i Have all types of cylinders and cox type glo heads available. Will this 3 bladed prop be any good? Fuel tank size? How much nitro and lastly line length recomendation. I am at sea level. Many questions I know......

Thanks in advance.
Cheers Gary

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 1/2a P-40 stunter cox reed valve new build
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 09:48:47 PM »
I hear and respond! Wow, what a nifty plane design and build!

The weight and wing area ratio is excellent! You can go with whatever cylinder you want and adjust line length to suit.

The venturi diameter is the real key to performance v/s fuel draw on the reedies. Put on the hottest cylinder and high compression head (extra gaskets may be needed) and start with the 5x3 "rubber duckie" black Cox prop on 40' Spectra lines (lightest available, round, not flat braid).

Handle line spacing about equal to the bellcrank spacing

15% Nitro should be fine, but at least 50% Castor in the fuel. 15/10/10 is a really good fuel for steady performance and long engine life. The Synthetic will keep the engine free of varnish, too!

You are on your own in tuning the mode for even better performance. If the engine is really solid, try the 3 blade prop. Adjust line lenqth to reach a balance of reliable control vs lap time. Nobody can give you the absolute optimum combination but yourself.

My goal is to give you a safe starting combination. But even with that approach the first flights with all due caution.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Jim Roselle

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 10:54:16 PM »
I routinely set up this type of reed valve to run on bladder pressure. You get the dual benefit of being able to drill out the Venturi for maximum performance and still get consistent fuel draw. I am not able to get any significant performance gain with the tee dee cylinder over the #1 black widow, but that's just my experience.

Jim

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 11:05:39 PM »
That is a sweet plane! Very nice!

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 01:12:56 AM »
I routinely set up this type of reed valve to run on bladder pressure. You get the dual benefit of being able to drill out the Venturi for maximum performance and still get consistent fuel draw. I am not able to get any significant performance gain with the tee dee cylinder over the #1 black widow, but that's just my experience.

Jim
That white backplate could very possibly already have the 128tpi fine thread needle you need for bladder pressure. Some of the white ones came with that NV, as did the red postage stamp backplate from the black Stuka. That's a great looking plane, good work, Gary.

Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 01:18:57 AM »
Thats a nice looking model that I think is about the right size...are you using a separate fuel tank to give enough flight time ??

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 09:46:28 AM »
Jim, he's using one of the "product engines" that came in the Cox RTF models.  They have a plastic backplate/reed retainer, but no tank.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here

Advertise Here