News:

• May 08, 2024, 09:40:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stunt plane suggestion for AP .061 Wasp  (Read 4724 times)

Offline Steve Agrella

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
    • Steve Agrella Photography
Stunt plane suggestion for AP .061 Wasp
« on: April 01, 2015, 08:48:39 PM »
I currently have this engine on a baby clown, it is a really nice running engine however it goes like a bat out of hell.

I'm running Sig 25% with added Castor and a 6x3 prop, I recently ordered a 5x3 and 5x4 to see if I can slow the plane town a bit and keep the engine running in its sweet spot.

I'm sort of new to the hobby, so please forgive my ignorance, I believe the engine is too much for the baby clown.

I would like to put this engine on a plane that will slow it down a bit that is capable of doing the pattern, preferably profile with flaps.

I believe I would like a plane that builds fast that can tame this engine suggestions for a plane would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Stunt plane suggestion for AP .061 Wasp
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 09:37:57 PM »
The original Baby Clown, a PDQ kit, was designed for use with an OK Cub .049/.074 or a Wasp .049.  They were NOT meant for current-day .061s.  Suggest you de-tune to something like a Cox Medallion .049...which may still be too much.  If you can find a decent OK .074 you'll be happier.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 09:49:28 PM »
   Out of the current crop of airplane kits out there, you may try the 1/2A Pathfinder, and the Pinto. There may be more but that is all that I can think of right now. A larger model to consider,if built light, is the SIG Akromaster. If you were to substitue 1/4" for the fuselage, and watch the wood everywhere else, I think the new .061 engine will fly that size airplane. That is on my "gotta try it" list also. Lots of smallish designs through the years also. If you can find a copy of the Stunt Model Bibliography that PAMPA put out, you can search that also. Keith Trostle did a neat 1/2A model called the Tercel that was in the magazines also. It's a rudderless design that he suggested to me one could really use a small vertical fin. I have the plans for that model also and it's on the "to do" list. Eric Rule at RSM offers a few kits also I think. Check out as many as you can research, and consider the ones that are the largest.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 09:53:38 PM »
http://www.aeromaniacs.com/Freeplans.htm

If you can find Heman's contact information on that site, drop him a line.  He flies 1/2-A planes seriously good.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Jim Roselle

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 10:16:07 PM »
I have a baby clown with a Tee Dee .049 that goes like hell, I can't imagine how fast yours must go. I would try an apc 6x2 to slow it down.

Jim

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 01:25:53 AM »
Over the years on these forums, I have listed the several designs that have been published that could be described as decent flying 1/2A stunt ships.  One of those listings is from September 2010 and appears as reply No. 6 at:

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,18821.0.html

Most of these were flown with the Cox TD .049 or the Cox Medallion .049.  The AP Wasp .061 or the Norvel .061 Big Mig could also be used, but these 1cc motors could use a bit larger airplane than what most of these earlier designs called for.  Plans for many of these are available from the AMA plans service.  Most of these are in the 180 to 210 sq in range, are built up fuselages and some are equipped with flaps.

One airplane that would be a good match for the .061's would be Bob Baron's Bare Cat. It has no flaps, is a bit unorthodox, but probably the best performing of any of these 1/2A stunt ships.  

I am aware of a 110% Tercel that is being developed/built that would be a good size for the .061's.  We will see how that evolves.  It might end up as a kit in the not too distant future.  The original Tercel won the 1/2A stunt event at the Nats three times.  (It flew better with a vertical tail on it rather than what was published in Model Aviation in 1976.)

In that 2010 listing was the Dick Mathis Pinto.  RSM has a kit for this.  Though a bit small for the .061's, it is still a good capable design.

http://www.rsmdistribution.com/index-2.htm

Keith

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 07:04:08 AM »
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX1505&P=7
6x2

or a 6x3 cox rubber ducky should de tune it a little more.

Alternately, if you have the space, go to 45 ft lines.  The .061 might even pull 50 ft lines around.

Phil

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 08:13:29 AM »
Minnesota Modeler's SkyWriter with a Norvel .061 , balloon tank and a 6x2 apc prop,42 foot lines will do a nice pattern.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Steve Agrella

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 08:21:40 AM »
Thanks very much for all of the replies so far, this little engine can Really pull the baby clown, it is a bit of a novelty with this engine.
1st time I flew it I laughed so hard from the sheer surprise on how fast it flew, I about passed out from the spin lol.
I believe my engine can pull a good size wing, just don't know which one to choose.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 09:48:10 AM »
I saw Heman get almost 500 points with a plane pretty close to the one in the lower left corner of the page whose link I sent you.

Lots to choose from.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
Thanks very much for all of the replies so far, this little engine can Really pull the baby clown, it is a bit of a novelty with this engine.
1st time I flew it I laughed so hard from the sheer surprise on how fast it flew, I about passed out from the spin lol.
I believe my engine can pull a good size wing, just don't know which one to choose.

Cox 049 TD's can easily carry 200 to 200 sq in.  The .061's would be comfortable with at least 250 sq in.

Need to seriously look at the Baron Barecat.  Model Aviatioin, June 1999.  Shows power by a Norvel .049 or .061.  350 sq in.  40" span.  15 oz.  Probably the best 1/2A stunt ship published.  This is a purpose designed airplane that performs.

Keith 

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 11:32:31 AM »
My Pegasus is a 34" wingspan  235 square inch flapped stunter for .061 engines. You can check it out at my web site: www.pdkllc.com

Thanks,  Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Steve Agrella

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 03:11:03 PM »
My Pegasus is a 34" wingspan  235 square inch flapped stunter for .061 engines. You can check it out at my web site: www.pdkllc.com

Thanks,  Pat
Hi Pat I went on your web site with my I pad, went to airplanes picked the engine size cannot see anything, is the site Flash if it is I cannot see any pictures.
Can you post a picture here of your Pegasus

Offline Steve Agrella

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 03:19:01 PM »
Hi Pat I went on your web site with my I pad, went to airplanes picked the engine size cannot see anything, is the site Flash if it is I cannot see any pictures.
Can you post a picture here of your Pegasus
i can see it on my I phone nice looking plane, I'm looking for something a bit more durable that might take a hit off of grass, I'm leaning towards the plane that Tim suggested with the foam wing, I'm doing the research on it.
Thanks for your reply.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 08:00:58 AM »
Jim Thomerson's Cheap Thrill may also be worth considering. he knew a thing or two when it came to smaller ships. AMA have the plans.

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 04:24:20 PM »
Give Eric Rule a call from RSM distro. Ask for his 1/2a magician flapped version. It will do everything under the sun.
Best of luck
Tally ho
Rosie
Richard "Rosie" Rosenau Jr, Yelm WA, USA

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 12:32:32 AM »
With an .061, so will the unflapped version. Trust me, Anton Kephart and Stan Tyler, we know! Anton flew his with a venturi drilled, pressure fed .061 Wasp on 52 foot lines and it flew like a full size stunter. 5+ second laps with great line tension. Amazing!

Jim Silhavey designed a real winner here!   #^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 05:13:17 PM »
It will do everything under the sun.

Rosie

Whoa there!  That is a term not seen for a long while.  And there is a reason for it.  There were a finite number of model airplanes in the universe that could do "everything under the sun".  And they were all used up by 1951.

Just like those airplanes that flew right off of the bench.  Those were used up just before all of those airplanes that could do everything under the sun.

Keith

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 06:23:24 PM »
. . . There were a finite number of model airplanes in the universe that could do "everything under the sun".  And they were all used up by 1951.

Just like those airplanes that flew right off of the bench.  Those were used up just before all of those airplanes that could do everything under the sun.

Keith
=======================================================

Not to mention Sterling's "Steals The Show Wherever You Go".

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline RK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 08:28:52 PM »
I have been reading about the 061 size engine and I would like to know where to find the .061 AP Wasp. How do they compare with the 09 size??

Thanks, RK Flyer   H^^
If you come to a fork in the road,,,,Take it!

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2015, 12:56:38 AM »
I have been reading about the 061 size engine and I would like to know where to find the .061 AP Wasp. How do they compare with the 09 size??

Thanks, RK Flyer   H^^

The .061 size engine is smaller than the .09 size engines.

KT

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2015, 10:01:39 AM »
The Wasp is no longer available on the market, but can be found on e-Bay.  Also, I have a couple of them NIB for sale. $60 + shipping.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here