News:

• April 19, 2024, 10:21:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2A Lineup  (Read 3094 times)

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
1/2A Lineup
« on: November 12, 2016, 11:04:30 AM »
Finally got around to painting my 1/2a Nobler. It was built early this year I believe, jut that I finally got around to painting it. Just cheap Wal-Mart rattle can paint followed by 2 light coats of Minwax in an aeroaol as well. I now just have to get hardware and an engine then it will be ready to go in the spring. Also attached is a picture of my 3 beam mount 1/2a planes. Black Spitfire was built MANY years ago from plans provided by Ron Burns I believe and as well was finished earler this year, unfinished one is a White Lightening all doped and sanded ready for paint, and of course, the 1/2a Nobler.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
Re: 1/2A Lineup
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 11:08:05 AM »
I forgot to add that the Spitfire is all ready to go minus the engine. White Lightening requires all hardware, and Nobler as posted requires hardware as well. Regarding hardware, is there any problems with cutting a 1/2a bellcrank from 1/16" plywood? They will not be for any competition, just fun flying by myself. Thanks for any input.

Offline Tim Soukup

• New Pilot
  • 817-703-1491
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 12:57:56 PM »
For 1/2a, you could try cutting a bellcrank from an un-used CD disc, we all have at least one we could sacrifice, right?  Just use an appropriate drill and some copper or brass bushings and you’re all set.  The material is plenty strong.  You could likely get 3, 3in bellcranks from one disc.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 02:21:49 PM »
I'd recommend 1/16" phenolic sheet, or if you can get it, unused 1/16" FR-4 PC board material.  Aircraft Spruce has the phenolic -- probably tons of it on da bay, if you want it from China.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 02:26:43 PM »
I have a variety of phenolic and G10 sheets in various sizes. If I have 1/16 I can cut you a square large enough for couple bellcranks and send it to you no charge if you are interested.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 06:49:18 PM »
I have a variety of phenolic and G10 sheets in various sizes. If I have 1/16 I can cut you a square large enough for couple bellcranks and send it to you no charge if you are interested.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Wow. Funny this thread got ressurected. Honestly, the planes are all still as they were in the original post! I have only been flying a few times, and those times I had been using a Man-Win trainer and letting others try it out.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 07:02:38 PM »
What's a Man Win trainer?  And when are you going to finish out those planes?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 07:36:26 PM »
Chauncey,
Have you arranged bellcranks for the planes yet? Lots of good ideas presented. I may actually try the method posted in CEF (by Roddie, I think), whereby two-plies of credit card plastic are used to make the bellcrank. A couple of my planes have aluminum for bellcranks. I've also successfully used sheet aluminum to make a control horn that wraps around the hinge line of the elevator, and folds down on the underside of the elevator. I can post a pic if needed.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 08:41:54 AM »
The undersize bellcranks furnished in many 15-size kits are OK for 1/2A.
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 10:12:38 AM »

Do a search using Man-Winn trainer.   It looks like a combat plane using coro-plast material.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 06:22:20 PM »

Man-Win Trainer was locally designed. I flew a similar one many years before designed by a club member. I then fell off to the wayside, but when I returned, I built a few of these things. Easy to build and fly, and may I say durable! I have also given a couple away as they are cheap to make. And it is election year, so I may get some more supplies...

As for when will I finish them... I cannot honestly answer that. I have good intentions, but sometimes I fall off the wagon. I pick up another hobby, then put the others aside to return to later. This past year, I redid my golf care, and got back into playing with small engines (not RC or CL engines), mainly chainsaws. This gives me time to work together with my dad on these, as he likes tinkering, but has no interest in modelling or planes. So that is why these are still where they are at. I would love to finish them up, as that was my intention. Now with a fire lit under my butt, I may get to it!

Link to teh fun Man-Win Trainer
http://www.balsabeavers.com/information/plans/manwin.pdf

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 06:25:42 PM »
Chauncey,
Have you arranged bellcranks for the planes yet? Lots of good ideas presented. I may actually try the method posted in CEF (by Roddie, I think), whereby two-plies of credit card plastic are used to make the bellcrank. A couple of my planes have aluminum for bellcranks. I've also successfully used sheet aluminum to make a control horn that wraps around the hinge line of the elevator, and folds down on the underside of the elevator. I can post a pic if needed.

Hey there Jim. I myself have used the credit card method of laminating two cards with epoxy. I just scuffed them up first and wiped down before gluing together. I have used one only once so far and it was good. I have also made small aluminum ones but was more worried of it cutting through my lines as the eyes are small and not bushed, but I did use wire leadouts here though. I just like to play with and try out different materials if available, just in case one outperforms the other.

Offline goozgog

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 02:47:21 PM »
   Looks like a fun fleet of little planes
Chancey.  So close to being finished !

Just so it doesn't get lost here's the
link to the gift card bell cranks.

https://stunthanger.com/smf/12-a-building/gift-card-bell-cranks/

I experimented with using epoxy to
laminate them together and it was inferior
to regular Cy/a.  Not a lot of forces
trying to separate the layers so epoxy
is probably adequate.

Cheers! - K.

Keith Morgan

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 04:10:38 AM »
Hey Chancey, tell me more about that Spitfire in your collection.

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 11:31:28 AM »
Mr. Kevin,

If Chancey doesn't have templates, I can find mine in a few hours. I got mine from a guy on RCG a few years back. I don't personally know Mr. Burns, but vaguely remember the guy that provides them to me did.
 If I remember correctly, Ron Burns drew this one up for a bunch of students in his school.
I also seem to remember this one is a bit bigger (22" or so) than the classic flat-plate mouse racer (at about 18").

If you like this one, then you should see Hal Karlson's take on flat-plate WWII models (again, mouse racer at about 18"). Scaling an HK model up to about 22" would yield a very similar model as a beginner's RingMaster. Mr. Karlson did have a separate graphics page for the FW-190, but all the others (P-40, Spitfire, Mustang, Hellcat, Zero) had the graphics right on the side view of each plan.
They sure build easy and cute!

Feel free to PM your email so I can get this one and the others to you.

PS Hi Chancey!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here