News:

• June 16, 2024, 05:08:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2A fierce Arrow  (Read 50314 times)

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Re: 1/2A fierce Arrow
« Reply #250 on: February 19, 2007, 03:09:21 AM »
 Looking very nice, Frank.  I'm at about the same stage.  I kinda fought with the cowl fit too; I like your solution of cutting the cowl sides and fuselage sides from the same piece--guarantees a nice fit. 

My question about the tank was, are the upper corners, edges, gonna fit inside the radiused cowl?  I went back and looked closer at your tank pics, and I guess the only question is the hooks themselves, do they protrude too far up and out? I can't tell on your cowl pics if the tank is in there or not.  But I guess the hooks are at least, so they plainly do fit. 

By the way, I sure like how your NV is located right at the joint between side and cowl.  Did you adjust the joint location or is that just the way it came out?  My Norvel needle is gonna require a fairly tall slot or else it'll have to be removed and replaced through the hole each time the cowl is opened up. I may consider raising the fuse sides to NV level and cutting the cowl down to match. 

Note on the plans, an exit hole for cooling air.  You might want to open up the front a little more too, to ensure getting enough air through there to keep from running too hot.  Full cowls are such a pain, but they look so good!  Do you have a mounting system worked out for it yet?
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #251 on: February 19, 2007, 04:04:45 AM »
Thanks Ray------it is a battle fitting the cowl isn't it? When I build "our" Arrow I'm going to make up the fuselage and cowl sides all in one piece, you can count on that.

Yes the tank fits in there very nicely. I took the hooks out and plan to replace them with finer wire, also I'm going to bend them over the top of the tank to avoid jamming them on the cowl. I'll include a drawing here of what I have in mind. The pinch created by the wire is what will secure the tank.

I did indeed adjust the joint in the cowl line to match the NVA location. I feel pretty clever about that one. Yessiree. y1

I'm going to exit the fill tube through the inboard exhaust vent and I plan to open up the whole nose for air intake once I have it in it's final shape.

I'm looking forward to seeing your cowling Ray. I wonder if you used a block or if you built it up.

Roger should have a fairly easy go of this now that you and have I waded through all the tuff stuff. I hope he does anyway. But being a scratch builder he'll probably do things we'll wish we'd have thought of. It's going to be interesting.

The unit weighs 3 oz.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #252 on: February 19, 2007, 06:11:23 AM »
I have high hopes of plans arriving today, soooo-
I'm going out now to shovel snow, oops, , mow the lawn. Sorry guys!    #^  Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #253 on: February 19, 2007, 06:55:30 AM »
I have high hopes of plans arriving today, soooo-
I'm going out now to shovel snow, oops, , mow the lawn. Sorry guys!    #^  Roger

:X :X :X :X :X :X :X :X :X :X :X :X DV^^ DV^^ DV^^ DV^^ DV^^ DV^^ na# na# na# na# na# na# na#
Frank Carlisle

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #254 on: February 19, 2007, 11:51:04 AM »
No plans. No mail.
Presidents Day, Gov't holiday.
Roger 
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #255 on: February 19, 2007, 12:45:43 PM »
No plans. No mail.
Presidents Day, Gov't holiday.
Roger 

Bummer dude!! Maybe tomorrow. But don't worry. You'll get it all tomorrow. And then you can catch up with me and Ray. And in a couple months we'll all be at the circle with exotic little airplanes.
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #256 on: February 19, 2007, 03:58:21 PM »
You've been awful quiet today Ray. y1 How is your Arrow coming along? Any pictures for show and tell?

GOOD NEWS!! <=    I figured a way to hold the cowling on...........

I used a 4-40 X 1 1/2 inch screw and a blind nut. I soldered a piece of 5/32 brass tubing to the blind nut to act as a guide for the screw. Well.................it's long and involved. I'll post pictures and I hope it looks good to you. I can clear up any questions that may arise. It took a few days to figure it out, but only a couple hours to do it. And best of all it actually works. Now I gotta cut out those lading gear. 
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #257 on: February 19, 2007, 04:04:25 PM »
My cowl is a one-piece block; looks like I may have to add a 1/16" or so thick sheet to the center top to fit the fuselage curve. 

so your tank holddown is just spring-loaded arms...very clever, I'm impressed.  And may steal the idea.  I found my oval plastic tank, and it's about 1/4" too long to fit in the space--so I may be the first one to go through former #2! My round cannisters just barely squeeze in, the cowl sides would have to be a thin 1/16" thick at the joint; I don't think so.  But the oval tank holds MAYBE 1 3/4oz., maybe no quite (I need to measure it accurately I guess), so I don't want to shorten it any...only other choice is to make a hole in the former.  I think it would be sufficient to just sort of "notch" it so the lower back corner of the tank protrudes through, only need 1/4" as I say. 

We are off work today, so I've been kept busy with "honeydoo" things...working, between wifey projects, on hollowing out the cowl. 

I just weighed the nose unit with all blocks, tank, alum. gear and wheels...2 1/2 oz.  I'm pretty happy with that, as I have considerably more hollowing out to do; but also need to add some sort of structure for attachment (tank and cowl both) so it probably will end up about the same weight.    You're not talking about weight with engine, are you?  In that case I'm more like 4 1/2 oz.  Please tell me your 3 oz. does NOT include the engine...

I'm certain Roger will add his own touch building his model; I'm looking forward to seeing more things I could have done better!

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #258 on: February 19, 2007, 04:19:01 PM »
Cowl anchoring looks great: Simpler than the Snapper method...the brass tube eliminates the problem of overtightening and splitting the cowl...Located in center, not either end, that's good...think you'll still need alignment pins of some kind?  I'm still impressed...

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #259 on: February 19, 2007, 04:28:26 PM »
That block had to be hard to fit Ray. Make sure you keep the cowl a sixteenth lager than the #2 former so it will match the 1/16 sides.

No springs. That brass tube is a guide to help the screw find it's way to the blind nut. It also acts as a pinch point against the 1/16 ply plate that the screw head snugs up against. When the screw gets tightened down  the ply plate snugs right up against the tube giving it a positive lock. You see this a lot on power tools which occasionally I take apart to fix.
I'm glad you like it.

When do I get to see yours?

Wow. ...that'll be something going through #2 former. I bet you wish you would have known you needed to do it before it got glued to everything else.

The weight with engine, tank, blocks and all is 3 1/4 oz. Of course I still have to add the landing gear. Since mine will be the same as yours I'd like to know how much your LG weighs. I'm pretty sure that once I add those I'll be at 4 1/2 ounces or so also.

So -- how much does your LG weigh?
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #260 on: February 19, 2007, 04:31:46 PM »
Cowl anchoring looks great: Simpler than the Snapper method...the brass tube eliminates the problem of overtightening and splitting the cowl...Located in center, not either end, that's good...think you'll still need alignment pins of some kind?  I'm still impressed...

--Ray

That step in the fuselage side acts as an alignment appliance. When I snug down the screw nothing on the cowl wriggles. shifts. changes position or anything. I think it's good without any additional alignment method.
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #261 on: February 19, 2007, 07:41:38 PM »
Have I gone too far?
Frank Carlisle

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #262 on: February 19, 2007, 07:54:38 PM »
Frank,
Arghhh, I need plans.
   :! Looked at your nose/cowl photos, dont have dimensions, and thought -
You might want to consider adding a small air scoop/chin scoop "under" the engine to provide cooling air to the crankcase, which can also flow upward and out the "vent".
Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #263 on: February 19, 2007, 07:58:02 PM »
Frank,
Arghhh, I need plans.
   :! Looked at your nose/cowl photos, dont have dimensions, and thought -
You might want to consider adding a small air scoop/chin scoop "under" the engine to provide cooling air to the crankcase, which can also flow upward and out the "vent".
Roger

That's a good idea. I'm going to open the inlet quite a bit more too.
Man, I hope you get those plans tomorrow.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #264 on: February 19, 2007, 08:41:52 PM »
WOW, Frank, I'm gonna stop trying to compete with you...that louvered vent is the coolest thing!  I can't do that 'cause my oval tank will stick up too high.

I get the cowl attachment; I meant the tank hold-downs when I called it "spring-loaded".  You spring 'em apart to take the tank in or out, right? 

My LG assembly weighs around 1/2 oz., pretty good I think.  That's with those featherweight hollow plastic wheels.   So if you come out about the same, your whole assembly, w/engine, should be under 4 oz.  Beat me again!  I'm gonna stop...oh, I said that already.

Yeah, I'm aware of the necessary 1/16" oversize at former #2 to accomodate the fuselage skin--already allowed for it in my penciling-in of the contour line.  Glad to hear you caught it too; I was contemplating giving you a heads-up about it also.

No problem getting through former #2; I've got a Dremel I can sand right through it with.  Already hollowed out my bottom block with it.  At the front, I brought the block down to 1 1/4" dia. just in case we wind up with that size spinner; if the 1 1/8" comes through, or we find a 1", or whatever, I can cut it down further pretty easily.  Ditto the cowl, although I'm not as far along shaping it.  I borrowed a page from your book and set about raising the joint betw'n cowl and fuse to better accomodate my NVA.  So here I am waiting for glue to dry again. 

I ain't posting pictures 'til I have something worth looking at. 

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #265 on: February 20, 2007, 12:24:24 AM »
Thanks for the compliment Ray.

I thought the louvers came out pretty cool. Cut them out of 1/32 ply. At first it looked like too much work but it was a breeze. Only 11 little pieces.  I always wanted to do something like that but was afraid. These 1/2As make it easy to try stuff. I don't envy you getting those 35mm cans in the cowl. They're big man. Talk about shoehorning.
I accidentally sanded away my 1/16 reveal at the top of the cowl. I'm going to sand away some of former #2 to get it back. Do you think that'll work out o.k?

I'm still waiting to hear from Jan about the spinner. It must be a real pain in the butt, because he usually makes things pretty fast. I made up a 1 1/8 spinner disc from a paint stick that I'm going to use on the "our" Arrow I build. I think it'll do fine till we get the spinners.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #266 on: February 20, 2007, 01:15:51 AM »
These are gonna be great looking planes, aren't they?!!  Beautiful...

Seems like reducing the radius of former #2 by 1/16" would be a good solution; or you could cut a doubler 1/16" smaller and glue it on the back; give your fuse skin something to butt up against.  You could leave the rest of the formers stock size and let your mod at #2 be part of the general nose taper; just starting a little further back.  Might need to sand the front portion of the cowl a little further down to maintain the line then. 

Say Frank, where do you get paint sticks 1/4" thick?

--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #267 on: February 20, 2007, 05:10:12 AM »
Home Depot has 1/4" paint sticks in the paint department (free). They are for stirring 5 gal. buckets of paint.

I was hoping you'd think it wouldn't matter much if I were to get my 1/16 reveal back by taking it from former #2. I thought so but I wanted to run it by you first.

These really are going to be cool planes. Apparently the construction method was employed in many of the flying wings of that era. I never would have thought of it myself. The fuselage as we have been calling it is actually an engine pod with a wing built around it.

Ray, I'm figuring on cutting ribs pretty soon for the stock Arrow. Do you think the spar notch locations in the plan are accurate?
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #268 on: February 20, 2007, 04:09:33 PM »
Accurate for what?  The spars as called out won't fit the notches as shown...as far as location is concerned, I personally wouldn't trust 'em without some judicial checking of measurements on the plan view. 

It is very interesting construction.  I'm glad we chose this s a project; it's shown me several new things already. 

I sorta had a near-disaster with my cowl:  I was using my Dremel with the little sanding cylinder to shape the head opening, and carelessly let it "grab" inside and jerk the cowl out of my hand.  Of course the Dremel doesn't have a trigger switch, it's a 2-hand operation to turn it on or off...by the time I got it shut off the cowl had tired of pretending to be a prop, and had been slung across the room in 3 pieces.  But the breaks turned out to be in "good" places; no missing splinters; I was able to glue it back together and proceed with my shaping...I think it'll be an invisible repair when finished.  I just didn't have the heart to go get another block and start all over...

I hope your buddy comes through with the 1 1/8" spinners as I have already gone beyond the 1 1/4" mark! 

And I'm finding the Norvel NVA doesn't lend itself easily to building a cowl around--with the angles in 2 planes it makes somewhat of a challenge to locate the holes, and keep both of them on the joint like I want.  Hindsight again; I could easily have put the joints in asymmetric places on each side, to match each end of the NVA.  Oh well.  You might consider that when you build your Norvel-powered FA.

I'd like to have enough engine head protruding to get a kwik-clip on; what are your thoughts on that?

Oh, and I cut through that former to make room for my tank, worked just like I thought--and it fits! Now I gotta thin the cowl out full length to clear it.

Landing gear and bottom block is on and shaped. Looks pretty good.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #269 on: February 20, 2007, 04:43:27 PM »
I'm hoping that the notches in the ribs give proper spar alighnment.

I'm learning things too. Never tried louvers before. Turns out they're too easy to have put it off so long.

Sounds like a scary prospect slinging the cowl across the room. It's always the hardest part to replace that things like that happen too. I'm glad you could save it.

I'll call Jan in the morning and see how it's going. He might have it ready and is waiting for me to call.

Are you looping your fuel line outside your model the way it looks in the magazine pictures?? Thanks for the heads up on the NVA assembly. I might go with one of the older Norvel NVA set ups where it doesn't slant back.

Having enough of the engine head revealed to get a quick-clip on it is the way to go.

So....now I'd like to see a picture of what you have so far. And do you have an idea about how you're going to secure the tank and cowl?
Frank Carlisle

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #270 on: February 20, 2007, 05:44:49 PM »
 j1 j1 j1 No plans in today's mail. Hope they are not on a Jet Blue plane, parked someplace.
re.Head/plug through the cowl
Reminder: The later version "black" Norvel cylinder/fins are non-conductive.
Battery clip has to fit on plug or plug/head. A glow igniter might work if they fit the Nelson plug, if you are using one.

Working from the "small" plan in an earlier post here - had to do something!
Ray, I checked rib spacing on my Barecat, they are at 3" and wing doesnot twist.
Scaling the plan, from this posting, looks like you are out to 4" rib spacing on the revised design with greater distance between rear of LE sheeting and fwd edge of TE sheeting. The diagonal spar should increase torsional strength and I would not eliminate it, if we were considering it. Might also consider vertical sheeting at the TE, between ribs, for additional stiffness.   
Shortening the "flapevators" (new word, wont get through spell check  :)) will allow us to make the outboard aileron an adjustable trim tab.
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #271 on: February 20, 2007, 06:07:18 PM »
That's a bummer about the plans Roger. Hang in there. If you don't have them in a couple days. I'll airmail another set.

I like flapevator---cool word.

Maybe we could reduce the spacing between the ribe to 3". I really think it isn't a good idea to risk structural integrity for a small weight loss.

I'm going to start cutting ribs for my stock Arrow tomorrow. So I'll soon be getting a wing on this one. I decided to go without the 1 1/8 spinner on this one. And I really opened up the air inlet. I'm not sure I like what I've done to it, but that's where it stays. I have enough of the head revealed to get one of those old timey battery clips on it.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #272 on: February 21, 2007, 07:10:23 AM »
HI Frank,

What you have so far looks mighty good.  Remember in your building:  way too many of our planes are "overbuilt"!   At a very light weight, the methods of construction we sometimes use are like we're trying to keep the plane in one piece if it hits nose in on concrete.  No plane needs to be built that strong if we are looking for performance.  Several World Class builders take what some people believe are "short cuts" but the planes don't experience structural failure.

If 1/16th can be used for fuselage sides on 35 size planes and hold up, then we are tending to go overboard when we build some of the smaller designs.

Just my take.

Oh yeah, I did weight my Snapper last night.  Bare airframe waiting on the jap tissue is 2.5 oz.  Might be a bit "porky" even though the rest of the finish might be 1 oz or so.  What do you think?
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #273 on: February 21, 2007, 11:41:45 AM »
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the compliment Bill. Overbuilding is pandemic in our CL community. I get guilty of over building by adding louvers and ply windscreens decorating the model with stuff not necessary for it to function. Crash proof a plane?? I see guys put a load of epoxy on wing joints and bellcranks etc. but they always justify it by saying "I'll end up crashing it anyway". Not me!! I don't crash. Well..........at least it's not an integral part of my program. ::)

I think the Snapper is a great example of not overbuilding a small plane. And speaking of Snappers I'm guessing by the time you're done with yours it'll be within a quarter oz, of what mine and Ray's came out. Our Snppers RTF were around 6 1/2 0z.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #274 on: February 21, 2007, 12:46:03 PM »
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the compliment Bill. Overbuilding is pandemic in our CL community. I get guilty of over building by adding louvers and ply windscreens decorating the model with stuff not necessary for it to function. Crash proof a plane?? I see guys put a load of epoxy on wing joints and bellcranks etc. but they always justify it by saying "I'll end up crashing it anyway". Not me!! I don't crash. Well..........at least it's not an integral part of my program. ::)

I think the Snapper is a great example of not overbuilding a small plane. And speaking of Snappers I'm guessing by the time you're done with yours it'll be within a quarter oz, of what mine and Ray's came out. Our Snppers RTF were around 6 1/2 0z.

I just weighed my Snapper again to refresh my memory...6 oz. even, ready to fly.  Bill, 2.5 oz. in bones sounds right on track.  Figure between 1- 1.5 oz. for finish, 2- 2.5 oz. for engine/tank, and that puts you right in that 6- 6.5 oz. range.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #275 on: February 21, 2007, 01:06:15 PM »
Hello, all, I got several pics for you now:

First, bottom block and gear.  Looks good I think. 

Next several, the cowl--alone and on.

Last few, the tank and installation.  I had to once again back up and re-do; this time a new tank--after all my carving, just couldn't get my oval tank under the cowl.  So I went to a smaller dia. round plastic (the protective container for a syringe). No plumbing yet as you can see; I'll use only 2 lines--fill it through the uniflow; overflow it through the feed line (disconnected from engine of course).  I'll run them out each side at the cowl joint. I'll "goop" the cap on after ithe tubing is in.

Also note the hole in former #2--I needed it after all even with the new tank.  Capacity will be around 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 oz., probably on the low side after I get the plumbing in.

What else?  Whole shebang as it stands weighs right at 4 oz. so I'm feeling a little better about that.  Ya can't hardly see my Dremel accident, can you? 

I will anchor the cowl kinda like yours, Frank--I have enough rooom in front of the tank.  Still figuring what I'll do about air exit holes, and for that matter the exact style of the front entrance. 

I'm working on rib layouts which has slowed me down some; of course the "re-do"s and repairs aren't helping either...

Bill, using the outer end of the flap as a trim tab occurred to me too.  Handy if a guy needs it.

I'm drawing another plan of the wing using 3" rib spacing as suggested, no half-ribs...it will be some simpler, no heavier since it eliminates the half-ribs.  Bill, I definitely intend to use the diagonal spar (s) to help stiffen the wing.  I'll post another picture of the wing as soon as I get it drawn.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #276 on: February 21, 2007, 01:16:27 PM »
Well,
        to steal part of a line (see below) from Frank -

"Hello all. I got several pics for you now...." plans now!#^ #^ o2oP o2oP
Called Frank to say "Thanks!", it was good to speak w/him.  H^^
It is a decent size plane, should be fun.
Now I have to try to catch up, Frank and Ray are blazing a trail.
Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #277 on: February 21, 2007, 01:51:52 PM »
Good for you, Roger...Here's my layout for 3" rib spacing, no half-ribs, on a wing stretched to 34" span.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #278 on: February 21, 2007, 03:39:10 PM »
Been working on the rib patterns...this is a reflex airfoil!  Pretty sophisticated...from what I know of delta wings, that reflex  (washout; reverse curve) on the back portion of the ribs is important for stability...might create a little frustration in covering, though.  Anyhow, I'm incorporating it into my rib patterns. Two down, 5 to go.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #279 on: February 21, 2007, 04:02:14 PM »
                                              :XURGENT NOTICE FOR RAY :X

Ray, Before you read any further in this post, you should have a box of Kleenex within easy reach because I have some news about our project that will surely make you cry. I'm serious man!!

Before I get to the bad news I'd like to say Hi Roger!! HIHI%%  Well I'm glad you finally got your plans. And it was a pleasure talking with you on the phone. I'm looking forward to seeing you at Brodak.

Did you get that Kleenex Ray? You're going to need it!! y1

First before I make you cry Ray----I finally got around to cutting out my landing gear and I mounted them on the pod right where we said we would.  Crying time is getting close Ray. I hope you have that Kleenex nearby.

Well sir, what with having the pod built all the way and with the gear mounted, I cut out a pair of #1 ribs. I tried the ribs for a fit on the pod ( get a Kleenex Ray cause here it comes) Guess what? The gear is in the way!!  HB~> And worse yet--you've glued yours in along with the bottom block. You're screwed man. But we can save it. So go ahead and blow your nose and dry your tears. I'll wait right here.

Here's a good cure Ray. Cut the bottom block just in front of the gear and cut out just the section that is covering the gear. Get the gear out. You'll need to add about a quarter inch of material onto the rails to get the gear up higher (away from the MM rails in this case) I think I'll use a 1/8 piece of balsa and put a piece of 1/8 ply on top of that. Then I'll screw the gear back on and trim the bottom block to fit.

I know it was my idea to put the gear on the rails. I was wrong. Sorry.

Here are pictures. # 3 shows the gear not fitting with R-!.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #280 on: February 21, 2007, 08:09:38 PM »
C'mon Frank, where's your sense of challenge?  Bring that gear right out the LE planking!  You can do it! Cut up those ribs, piece 'em in, work the sheeting around 'em...c'mon, show me how!!!

I guess I'm not really surprised; it's the way this project has been going.  Such unusual approaches to construction, I think we're (anyhow, me) having trouble visualizing how the different elements go together.  That's OK--that's what makes it interesting.  I'm still messing with the cowl; gotta install a holddown yet. 

I knew the gear would interfere with the front of the root ribs; I figured there would be a way to cut around it. Didn't really think about the LE sheeting.  I have confidence, Frank, you'll find a way! And then I can steal that too.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #281 on: February 21, 2007, 08:35:01 PM »
Ray,
Dont steal everything from Frank, leave some for me.
Had some time available to look over the plans, much nicer than the 5"x7" plan I downloaded and was working with.
Comment - the suggested tip weight ~ location is, I believe, too far aft. I normally place tip weight on a span line that goes through/near the cg. On the "stock plan" 1/2A FA, this cg span line is fwd of the LE (in free space) at the outboard rib and means the tip weight could only be located as far fwd as the LE.
Your redrawn, larger, wing would (I believe) place the cg span line just aft of the LE and within the wing structure at the outboard rib.
Special Tip Wt. box design/installation approach is on my "to do list".
Roger 
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #282 on: February 22, 2007, 01:13:25 AM »
Yup, Roger, plans call for 1/4 oz., not much.  Would be good to have a box we could adjust that with.  As far forward as you could make it, inside the LE sheeting.  I think a cute little hatch could be done.

I can't believe nobody has any comments on all my pics above.  Too embarrassed to say anything about my shoddy workmanship, or what? C'mon, I can take it...I thought the hole through former #2 was rather well done; ditto bottom block.  Clever tank.  Nice looking gear.  You can think of something!

--Ray

--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #283 on: February 22, 2007, 03:52:18 AM »
Yup, Roger, plans call for 1/4 oz., not much.  Would be good to have a box we could adjust that with.  As far forward as you could make it, inside the LE sheeting.  I think a cute little hatch could be done.

I can't believe nobody has any comments on all my pics above.  Too embarrassed to say anything about my shoddy workmanship, or what? C'mon, I can take it...I thought the hole through former #2 was rather well done; ditto bottom block.  Clever tank.  Nice looking gear.  You can think of something!

--Ray

Ray, I forgot to comment on your pix because I was concentrating on giving you the bad news about the gear location

For starters ( you said you could take it) I thought the purpose of going to the aluminum gear was so that we could attach them "after" we'd gotten the plane built, rather than having them jutting in the way through the whole construction. Yours are glued in already! What's up with that? It looks good though. Nice fit on everything.
The fuel tank and your solution to get it to fit by going through former two is very creative. Man, talk about thinking outside the box.
I can see where you changed the hatch line to accommodate the NVA and that too is really well thought out and something I'll be stealing from you.
The disc on the nose looks like it worked out well in place of having the actual spinner. BTW I may have a spinner for show and tell this evening. Jan is willing to make a couple more for you guys if you find his price and the product acceptable. He said he is leaning more toward a needle nose because it would be lighter.

Roger, good thinking on the tip weight. Have you cut any wood yet?

NEW BUSINESS.......I got done setting the new position for the gear. I determined that the gear needed to be a quarter inch up more (having a root rib on hand made that clear enough) to get the 1/4 inch I sandwiched a piece of 1/8 balsa and a piece of 1/8 ply. Then I cut it to fit the fuselage width X the LG width, drilled a hole in the middle of it for good measure and glued it to the pod in it's proper location. Then I cut a chunk off the back of the bottom block and matched the bottom block to the gear plate. Then I got a little piece of balsa and shaped it to cover the gear once it was installed at the end of the build.
PICTURE ARE INCLUDED HERE. 

One rule I'm going to live by for the rest of this build is --- never glue part A to part B without first making sure that part C is going to fit. y1

I have a plumbing job scheduled for today so I'll be offline till this afternoon. Duty calls and all that.
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #284 on: February 22, 2007, 05:23:17 AM »
Good for you, Roger...Here's my layout for 3" rib spacing, no half-ribs, on a wing stretched to 34" span.

the layout is looking good Ray. Any idea about how Roger and I can copy it?
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #285 on: February 22, 2007, 07:31:54 AM »
I spose I could send you a CAD drawing of it if you have the means to access that.  I understand quick-print places will print out from a CAD CD--also UPS stores I'm told (!). But I also hear it's kinda pricey, never used 'em myself so I don't know.  Or I could dimension the heck out of it and send you a picture!  Or, worst-case scenario, I could draw the thing twice more and send you guys copies.  I'm nothing if not accomodating.

About that gear, Frank, somehow I missed that rationale of not attaching the gear until after the plane is built.  Makes perfect sense, I'll hafta hang the gear off the table edge for everything I want to do on a flat surface...I like your fix, it'll look good...I've backed up enough times on this project already--I think I can cut around the gear as is and make it work.  We shall see!

--Ray

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #286 on: February 22, 2007, 10:14:05 AM »
How about making just the one copy and having copies made at Kinko's  And mailing us them? We'll pay the costs. Or better yet all we need is the ribs. You could e-mail us them and we could print them out.

About your gear Ray. The simplest thing to do is get your razor saw and cut the bottom block just in front of the gear. Dig out the gear, install the plate, and continue the build. I think you sounded kind of vague about getting it all to work out. Doing the gearectomy is really the shortest and easiest way to correct the problem -trust me. It'll take an hour tops. y1
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 12:34:07 PM by frank carlisle »
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #287 on: February 22, 2007, 02:42:45 PM »
I'm about ready to cut some ribs; I'll wait on the gear operation until I can see for myself how big a problem it'll be.  Remember I'm another one of those old & stubborn guys...I want to do it the way I want, because it's the way I want to do it.

HOWEVER, I may end up eating those words...I'll reserve final call until first-hand experience.

Prints at Kinko's would be the ticket.  As far as the ribs go, after I get them all laid out in CAD, I can print as many copies as we want...only R1 would require overlapping two 8 1/2x11 sheets.

I'm sorta mulling over some alternate TE treatments...the ribs get awfully thin back there, what with that reflex curve; it does need some strength 'cause it holds the ele--what'd we decide to call it? not elevon; flapilator--no; flapevator, that's it!--TE holds the flapevator on.  There's 3 different approaches I can think of right offhand: Solid TE per plans; 2-piece top & bottom sheeting per Frank's sketch; one-piece interior "ribbon" per the LE on plans, with Frank's 1/8" sq. piece behind that. I'm thinking of leaving the ribs 1/8" thick at the TE and running the capstrips over the 1/8" square piece to the back edge.  That would add a little security back there. 

Hmmmm, very unclear--I may have to do a few sketches.  Tell me if it's worthwhile.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #288 on: February 22, 2007, 04:10:20 PM »
The big Fierce Arrow kit I got has standard ribs-- none of that reflex stuff. The minnie Delta flies fine with just a board for a wing. The Bratco Hexdrone has a regular airfoil..........

It's worthwhile Ray--have at it.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #289 on: February 22, 2007, 09:43:22 PM »
Some small progress: Got my tank plumbed and vent outlets cut into the fuse; cowl just about to final shape--my assembly is getting lighter! Now it's a skosh under 4 oz.  I keep carving and sanding, and I guess it's showing up. 

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #290 on: February 22, 2007, 10:32:37 PM »
Frank,
No, not cutting balsa yet, getting close.

Ray,
ref your posts 282/275.
Sorry I did not comment on the pics, workmanship looks great!
Like your tank source, innovative.
Idea - "IF" there is enough length in a new syringe case and the "Goop" joints are reliable, cutting the case for a full cylinder cross section and "Gooping" a fwd and aft closure, without the taper, might give you the additional fuel volume you want.

TE Idea - I am not happy with a solid TE concept. Sketch below shows the TE configuration on a 1/2A P'finder (which doesnot use capstrips, (I will as ribs will not be notched for TE sheeting).  Using this approach and Frank's concept, I "might" extend the TE sheets over the 1/8" sq TE strip ( will require some tapering/shaping of the 1/8* strip before TE sheeting installation). It eliminates a visible glue line spanwise. Area between ribs, at the TE where hinges are installed, can have balsa filler blocks installed to strengthen hinge installation.

New ribs - rib layouts would be enough for me. Can use with existing plans to build the larger wing.
Later,
Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #291 on: February 23, 2007, 04:13:59 AM »
OK there's a fourth style--I'll sketch some possibilities and post a pic; iif we can't settle on one common approach, each can use his own favorite; it won't affect the rib shapes except for  length at the TE end,  and I can show alternative lengths on my layouts easily enough. 

Yeah, Roger, with rib patterns and setting ribs at 3" spacing, it's really all you need, the new wing taper comes automatic.  Only thing I plan to change from stock on the back fuselage/rudder assembly is to eliminate some of the redundant structure--formers #5 & 7, for instance, and some of the diagonal/peripheral bracing shown.  Earlier posts about overbuilding certainly apply here!  That structure doesn't support anything but itself. See my wing layout above for a top view, formers I would eliminate are not drawn in bold.  I'll post a side view pic later this AM.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #292 on: February 23, 2007, 08:36:20 AM »
Fellas, here's my offerings as to Te options:
First pic--as plans, as near as I can tell.
2nd--Frank's idea.
3rd--Roger's idea.
4th--"interior" TE
5th--sort of a combination of several.

Also, a pic of my suggested fuselage/fin mods.  Everything I consider redundant is crossed off. 

Reactions, suggestions?

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #293 on: February 23, 2007, 11:33:40 AM »
Fellas, here's my offerings as to Te options:
First pic--as plans, as near as I can tell.
2nd--Frank's idea.
3rd--Roger's idea.
4th--"interior" TE
5th--sort of a combination of several.

Also, a pic of my suggested fuselage/fin mods.  Everything I consider redundant is crossed off. 

Reactions, suggestions?

--Ray

Ray,
My thoughts on the TE options.
* First, thanks for the great drawings (to nice to call them "sketches").
#1 - Probably the "heaviest" option
#2 - Good concept, but, as mentioned earlier it creates another "seam line". Does lend itself to installing vertical webs at fwd end of TE sheeting. We could install the 1/8 TE and lower TE sheeting. then fit vertical webs, sand to fit and then cap off with upper TE sheeting. Note: Balsa wedges at hinge locations, if used, must be installed before upper TE sheeting applied.
#3 - same as #2 without the visible extra "seam line".
#4 - Does not add (appreciably) any bending strength to wing and requires "finesse" to cut the rib slots. Does support the vertical web approach, balsa blocks at hinge locations (recommended as hinge slot will just about cut away all the 1/16 x 1/2 material) will require two pieces, one above and one below the 1/16 x 1/2 piece). Also, cap strips terminating at aft face of TE do not give a smooth edge (laterally), ie The covering will pull up slightly as it goes from the cap strip to the TE material, adhere to the TE material and then lift from the TE surface to the next cap strip.
#5 - second only to #1 re being heaviest. Cap strip/covering comment from #4 also applies.

Had a thought, for the next build of a FA. IF we could come up with a light, simple design to incorporate removable "flapevators" we would have an additional "flight trim feature".

Have not studied the fuselage mods yet.  Later today.

To all:
While the three of us are doing this, constructive comments from others on the forum are welcome.

Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #294 on: February 23, 2007, 02:41:15 PM »
So basically your vote is for #3.  I prefer it to #2 mostly because of the increased rib height at the front of the TE.  I can just see, using #2, the ribs breaking at that location as one tries to pin the top TE half on. 

I'll wait until Frank chimes in, but I'm leaning toward the 3rd option myself. 

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #295 on: February 23, 2007, 07:34:06 PM »
#3 looks about right Ray. I can build it with just the ribs outlines also.

Earning a living will be slowing me down for a few weeks as far as building goes, but I will try to hang in there and keep up with you guys.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #296 on: February 23, 2007, 08:07:30 PM »
Hmm, with Frank "slowing down" I might have a chance to catch up, a little!
 #^ #^
Made extra copies of plans today for "scribbling ideas".
Note: I believe former #2 was angled, originally, to provide the proper angle for the wire gear mount. I'll do some scribbling here.
Also, an air vent in the lower fuselage block,aft of the engine in vicinity of F-1 would provide an air path for some crankcase cooling and eliminate my "scoop under the spinner idea". More scribbling to do here.
Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #297 on: February 24, 2007, 01:58:39 AM »
We haven't really addressed engine cooling, so that's good Roger that you're turning some attention to it.  One thing in our favor is that the Norvels do tend to run pretty cool, it shouldn't take much.  I hollowed out my bottom block fairly severely so it could serve as an exit-air conduit OK.  I do know from reading after the big guys that there needs to be more exit area than entrance. 

I think you're right about former #2's angle...'course if you straighten it you'll lose vital tank space.  And if you move it aft  to regain that space you'll be adding weight since the MM rails and ply. tank "floor" run all the way back to it...or if you leave them short you'll lose some needed strength in the nose.  As designed, it does help tie everything together. I wouldn't mess with it much.

I'm now working on wing construction methods, maybe incorporating leveling tabs into the ribs, to be trimmed off later.  I hate building in a jig, dunno why...the fact I don't have one and would have to fabricate something to serve may have something to do with it.  Rib height is tapered from root to tip,although not a lot, about 1/4" per surface.  TE is of course straight, so building with it flat on the table, and trim tabs on the ribs of varying heights, should do it.  I'm still drawing.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #298 on: February 24, 2007, 06:35:10 AM »
Ray,
Agree that F-2 is better left alone/with a through hole for tank.
Tabs on ribs a good idea. I could also use a rod jig I have.
Roger 
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #299 on: February 24, 2007, 07:18:16 AM »
You guys sound like professional modelers.
I'm wrapping up the engine pod on my Arrow today. And then I'm going to put more paint on my LA HEAT. It might be a few days before I post any new pictures. I have a little space on the table for cutting out ribs for the Arrow so probably I'll get the ribs cut out over the weekend.

Carry on fellas.
Frank Carlisle

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here