News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:09:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2A Combat Plane ID  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
1/2A Combat Plane ID
« on: October 19, 2020, 06:57:12 PM »
Hi there. Been a while since posting last, but have still been actively reading around here. I had not honestly done much this past season as things were just busy, and whenever I had time to try flying my small stuff it was either too windy, or the bugs were just absolutely insane. I would give a lot up to do away with these mosquitoes and other bugs in exchange for a nice pad in my favorite desert paradise in Nevada....... Anyways, back to the topic at hand.

This past summer, I was given a few 1/2a control line planes from a friend and had kept 2 and passed the rest on with another tote full of my own to a fellow co-worker as he wants to get started. The two I had kept were what I am assuming are 'combat' models, but am unsure as I have never flown or had anything like these before. One is an all sheet balsa 'wing', and the other is built up. The dimensions for teh built up one (orange and blue) are 22 1/2" wingspan with 6" chord. As well to note it is a diamond airfoil. I will also include a picture of teh tail booms as I think that thsi may be one way to help identify it. I had been trying with no luck. This is also why I am thinking it may be a home design.

The second I believe was led to suggest it may have been a magazine plan at one time, but have not found anything out about it either. it is basically 1/8" x 4" sheet balsa wing, 1/8" hardwood booms, and a 1/8" x 3/4" elevator. Also has very lite ply wingtips.

Some here may have seen these posted elsewhere, but now I am cleaning up my model room and these popped back out getting me wanting to hopefully identify them as next year, I do plan on flying more now that I have a buddy wanting to learn to fly. This may be what I needed. Thank you in advance for any and all help, information, and leads.

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: 1/2A Combat Plane ID
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 07:32:11 PM »
Hi Chancey...!
The balsa sheet wing reminds me of  a construction article that a model plane club submitted to one of the magazines. It was for a quick and cheap "Club Combat" design they flew with Black Widows if I remember correctly.
The other plane with the diamond airfoil looks familiar too, but I don't think it was a commercial kit.

Offline Bruce Shipp

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 07:57:37 PM »
The orange and blue diamond airfoil plane looks like a Midwest Lil’ Snip. I built one in the 70s.

Bruce

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 08:08:10 PM »
Thank you both for the help. As for the Midwest Lil Snip, I did not think that is it as mine has a fully moving elevator, and not a two pieces (elevator and horizontal stabilizer) as on the Lil Snip. However, it is not out of the question that it may have been modified as the wintips are also not there. They are just flat.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 06:15:34 AM »
The orange one with the diamond airfoil looks like a smaller version of a Demon but I don't recall a 1/2A version being kitted. The full sized Demon had the diamond airfoil shape.  Yours is scratch built perhaps.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Bruce Shipp

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 11:12:50 AM »
I found a set of lil snip plans on line.  Your model has as you noted a single piece elevator and an extra 1/2 rib bay on each wing.  The snip plan  has 5 ribs on each wing plus a tip.  Yours has 6 ribs, with the last bay being about 1/2 a full bay.  The Snip plans also show a beam mount but they likely showed the option for the tank mount as well.  I could not enlarge the plans with any clarity. Mine had a golden bee I think.  I never built a 1/2a For a TD so...

My guess is a modified Lil Snip.  everything else looks pretty close.

Whatever it is, it’s a neat little retro model.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 03:26:14 PM »
Thank you all for the help and replies. I guess it would be fairest to assume that this was a scratch build, and more than likely based off of the Lil Snip. Either way, I am hoping it will be a nice docile flier so I don't re-kit it on the re-maiden next year...... Now to go look at the Lil Snip plans for a balance point so I can figure out what to bolt to the nose.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 10:40:25 AM »
The yellow and black airplane looks like the "NVCL Dragonfly". It was published in Model Aviation, and AMA has plans.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 03:26:46 PM »
Thank you. Sure looks correct!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here