News:

• May 18, 2024, 12:03:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: pathfinder  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
pathfinder
« on: August 31, 2010, 08:39:51 PM »
has anyone tryed a enya 09 on a pathfinder? I was looking at the wing area and it is just a little less the my acromaster with a old os 15. I have my 10year old girl now flying a skyray. At 65pounds I dont know what plane to get her next. She wants to fly my flite streak with a 20 on it but think it my be a little much. With dad building and buying she is real brave. Any idea out there?

Offline John Crocker

• Commander
Re: pathfinder
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 05:02:22 AM »
First of all, I have not.  But I seem to remember several guys on here saying the power to weight ratio of most .09's is less than what you can get out of a Norvel or AP Wasp .061

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 06:05:10 AM »
I would recommend a Brodak Junior Lightning Streak and also a Circus Prince.  Both are much easier to build than a 1/2A Pathfinder.

I bought plans for a 1/2A Pathfinder and would recommend saving that build for somebody who has learned not to crash.
Paul Smith

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 07:37:08 AM »
I have a Norval .074 RC on a RC fun fly ship.  It has screaming power.  Plain is so fast I can't fly it. Don't know about the Enya.  I do know the Norval 074 is much lighter and stronger than the OS Max 10 I have.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 12:42:17 PM »
The Pathfinder is probably the most complicated model you could choose!  The Miss Ashley from RSM will do every maneuver in the pattern and is dirt simple to build and REPAIR.  Power with a Black Widow or even a Golden Bee.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 01:23:12 PM »
         My daughter is under 60 lbs probably around 53 actually. Initially I felt the same as you did. Her wrists and forearms are quite small and I was very concerned with the line tension. I wasn't so concerned about how hard it pulled but for the entire duration of the flight. She was featured in Control Line World approximately 2 years ago. At the given time we were at a Memorial Day picnic fly so to speak and she just wouldn't have it any other way other than to give it a try. Countless times she didn't want to have anything to do with it but once she tried it , she couldn't fly enough. I had her flying a 1/2 a Spitfire which was a dual ported cylinder equivalent to Black Widow and it was on a tear. I tried everything to slow it down but she preferred it fast. About 2 months ago she said she wanted to fly a Ringmaster as she's quite familiar with all the names. My son held her hand and made sure take off was clear and off it went. I think it was him standing behind her that led her to think she couldn't fly it alone. Thats when I brought out a arf Super Clown I had with a old OS max-30 on it. I put her out in the center all by herself and gave her plenty of instruction. I had to laugh it was if she done this hundreds of times. She never took a plane off from a stand still as I always hand launched the 1/2 a and she landed it no problem. She understood that quick movements aren't the way to go initially and she let the plane take off on its own backing up a bit. I let her fly about 10 more times that afternoon each one seemingly getting better especially the landing. This plane is very timid with little pull and it just made a nice slow pace for her . One of the flights the plane got a little high on takeoff but I yelled out to give a bit of down and she leveled it out quite nicely. I hope to have her out this Labor day weekend. I think this plane and engine made for a good choice. Its not real big and it can maneuver in time of trouble. The one problem with the small stuff is its speed. The Pathfinder flies more like a full size stunter. The plane though has a lot of ribs in it and the wood in the kit is quite light and fragile. I wouldn't associate this plane with a trainer. I don't associate the Super Clown as a trainer it just sufficed for me that day. I think you would want something based on simplicity and durability. I fly my Pathfinder with a Norvel .074 and it flies real well. I just slow it down using low pitched props and slightly longer lines. I would keep the plane of choice small, but not 1/2 a small. Its been said time and time again that a larger plane is slower and reaction times are easier. Another positive quality is its ease of starting. Nothing turns a young one off more than waiting for the start especially if its hot outside. I find the repetitious flights keeps the excitement level up and makes everything else fade into the back ground. I'm sure there are quite a few good choices and everyone will have the answer but the Super Clown worked for me and is still working. I have $60.00 invested in total for plane and engine. That money already paid for itself in enjoyment. Ken

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 02:57:50 PM »
This has definatly taken an unexpected turn. The pathfinder is a complicated build. But I would not say it is a difficult build. It can be built with the help of any adult if a child wished to build it. Well any 8 year old could show an adult what he did wrong in any event.
I have a 1/2 finished pathfinder with an .09 on it. But what has me holding off is that I am in new york city. My mom has alzheimers and I have little room to work and few supplies here. The chance that I will get to go fly is even more unlikely.
But I believe the .09 when set up right will make a good enging for this model.
Granted I will not be flying it full out. Most likely it will be flown richer than neccessary and never leaned out fully.
You will need to move the wing forward some to balance the plane and shim the wing joint to make for a nice fit.

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 05:56:59 AM »
Thank for all the help. I will look in to something different

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 06:57:32 AM »
Black Hawk Models line of American Classic (AC) models has several models in that size and the models are meant to take a beating.  Most other kits lean toward contest flying, we make kits for the Sport Flier.
Try the Custom Special or the Night Hawk for an intermeidate plane with a .09 engine.
Larry
WWW.BLACKHAWKMODELS.COM

Offline Jay

• Commander
  • 1 Cross +3 Nails= 4 Given
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 08:07:44 PM »
The hardest part about building the Pathfinder is the spar.  You need to cut and notch your own spar.  Also need yor own lite ply to hold the spar together.  It's a hard plane to build but sure looks good in bare bone.  Ask me I know I had mine for 2 years now waiting for covering.

Jay
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
Albert Einstein

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 09:52:28 AM »
Jay,
You probably just like to admire the work and this why you have not covered it....
John
John Paris

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 10:06:03 AM »
Yours did not have the plywood doubler ?
Mine came with it but you do need to make the notches and trim the ends to shape..
It was suggested to use a pair of hack saw blades taped together to make the notches and that worked real well.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 01:26:26 AM »
HI Steve,

Black Hawk's Custom Special (Scientific kit) or Brodak's Circus Prince (PDQ kit) would be fine with the Enya.  Both are designs from the old days and are sized decent enough for the Enya not to overpower it if it goes lean or you use too much pitch.   A touch stronger engine could be used for really doing a lot of stunting, but the .09 would be good enough for simple stunts.

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 08:13:43 PM »
Steve,

I would suggest the Enya .09 on a Junior Flite Streak.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 09:02:17 AM »
has anyone tryed a enya 09 on a pathfinder? I was looking at the wing area and it is just a little less the my acromaster with a old os 15. I have my 10year old girl now flying a skyray. At 65pounds I dont know what plane to get her next. She wants to fly my flite streak with a 20 on it but think it my be a little much. With dad building and buying she is real brave. Any idea out there?

HI Steve,

It has been a couple weeks, but I thought of something in the mean time! LL~

Put a 2oz. to 3 oz. R/C style plastic clunk tank on the Flite Streak!  You can short tank it to limit flying time and see how she does.  She will definitely grow into it, ether way, so it will not be a lost cause. 

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here