News:

• April 17, 2024, 10:34:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2A Challenger  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
1/2A Challenger
« on: March 15, 2022, 03:11:05 AM »
I just came across a set of plans to a 1/2A Challenger, designed by Bill Noyes. It is a jet-styled profile with a 213 in^2 wing with fixed flaps. A bit angular for my taste, but simple to build with no spars and no cap strips....  It does have wing-mounted gear, so perhaps some aspirations of stunt stardom?

Has anyone built and flown one of these? How capable is it? What did you use for power?

I understand that there were larger size Challengers, too. But I'm curious about the little one.

Dave

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: 1/2A Challenger
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 06:30:44 AM »
No answers but what I would do is compare specs with a 1/2a Pathfinder with Norvel .061.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 05:22:57 PM »
John Wright flies a 1/2A Challenger. Norvel .061 power.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 07:38:07 PM »
Ahhh. Thanks, Larry. I wondered about that. I've launched the thing multiple times at our 1/2A contest, so I should have figured this out. Probably just never heard of a 1/2A Challenger before. (Launchers beware: the wing gear on this piece of the Wright Stuff is pretty soft and pretty short and the prop is pretty long....)

As I recall, John's plane hits about Mach 3 late in the pattern. No way my reflexes are going to keep that off'n the asphalt. But mebbe it'd be just the ticket for that PAW dieselly thing I bought from you a while or two back?

So this kind of gets to my point with this post:  while I understand that perhaps the 1/2A Pathfinder might be considered a known high-performance choice, what I saw in the Challenger is something that can be built m-u-c-h quicker. That might make it worthwhile for me, bogged down in way too many projects already.... What do you think of that possible combination?

Dave

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 07:31:08 AM »
A PAW should work nicely except for the big prop you will need.

DesignMan

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2022, 12:50:51 AM »
Larry,

Are we talking about something in the 7x4 range for the PAW? I have not run it yet so I really have no idea what it might like.

The plans scale 3-1/2" between the thrust line and the undeflected wheels. The gear attachment is not real impressive, so I'd likely change that. And add at least another half inch of ground clearance. And put a tailwheel on the thing, too.

Dave

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2022, 08:01:59 AM »
Yes, a 7-4 should be a good starting point.

DesignMan

Online Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 07:11:00 AM »
Okay,  I have no idea of what we are discussing here.  A picture of the plane or plans?

Mark

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2022, 08:45:14 PM »
Yeah, what Mark said.... D>K
Oh, and pretty please?

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2022, 09:03:40 PM »
Maybe like this

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/challenger-15-done-and-rtf/msg545565/#msg545565

There are several Challenger threads on SH, but not specifically 1/2A.
Fred

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2022, 02:55:15 AM »
The name "Challenger" appears to be pretty popular with modelers. Seems like everyone's brother has a design with that name....

But the subject of my earlier questions was a Bill Noyes 1/2A Challenger, which is apparently it's own thing, although perhaps is scaled from a larger Noyes Challenger? I don't have plans for those, so I couldn't tell you.

The 1/2A job is super simple, based on all straight lines, constant chord, etc. I took a picture of the plans so you guys can get an idea. It is a bit too angular for my tastes, but that could be mitigated by a "busy" paint scheme I suppose. At this point, I'd probably build another copy of my circa 1980 "Spring Break Special" instead. Built, flown, and crashed in one week back in college....  It is not much more complicated but I like the wing design better. It also has flaps, but that's debatable whether the extra effort there pays off in flying capability.

Dave

Online Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2022, 10:46:26 PM »
Okay, I see now.  That's close to what I had in my drive.  I have one of those 1/2A pattern plans by Dick Sarpolus.  It's also called a Challenger, and does look similar, kinda like his .35 sized Challenger designed around the SIG Mustang wing.  Or maybe it was the SIG Chipmunk wing. I don't remember anymore.

Mark

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here