News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:22:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2 A expanded  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
1/2 A expanded
« on: March 18, 2021, 08:01:17 PM »

Guy's I am thinking about "expanding" a Sig model up to 125% of its kit size it is a 1/2A Sig Sky Ray.

I am thing about going to a 30" wing span with the rest of it increased by the 125% factor also..

I am looking for some advice/suggestions, and couldn't think of a better place to ask, much obliged... H^^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Re: 1/2 A expanded
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 09:02:32 PM »
Have you checked with John Miller for design advice?
He’s a regular on hangouts and is quite knowledgeable about such things.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 08:48:11 AM »
That would be a 56% increase in area. Might be a bit much unless you are going to use an 061.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 12:36:09 PM »

Larry, I am not well versed in math, what would you suggest and why?  I am thinking about the 30" wing span with approate size increases to keep in fly ably with a B Widow 2 port cyl or a Golden Bee set up the same.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.. H^^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 01:33:39 AM »
Larry,

Can you share the info on the Big Flattie that I have seen over at the Narrows? Seems like a relevant comparison here. I just can't remember any details....  It might have been painted silver?

The Divot

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 05:34:28 PM »
My sheet wing Skyfire was about the size he is considering at 230 sq. in., but it had a spruce spar and a tapered wing. Even so, there was some flutter problem and eventually I cut the span down 4”.

Also, it was 061 power.  I had a Skyray with a Black Widow, and it was just fine as is. If it was to be enlarged, it would have to some how be made much lighter.

If I were to mess with it, perhaps a 5% upsize, go for a 1/16” thick wing with a spruce spar and carbon veil covering, a hollowed, laminated fuselage, and lightening holes in the tail surfaces. Nose moment adjusted to eliminate need for ballast, of course.

Or, on second thought, why bother. Buy a Cox Medallion and build an PINTO from an RSM kit and have a really superb model.

Or, I modestly offer, an 061 and my own RSM kit SkySport.

Either of these will do a 500 point pattern in the right hands (not mine, sadly to say).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 05:53:18 PM by Larry Renger »
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 08:44:15 AM »
             Mark Mc who recently posted on his needle conversion made some beautiful Skyray stunters a year or two ago. Mark has a exceptional talent for building multiple models at a time. I believe he did upscale the Skyray with a built up wing which I would highly recommend. His models were all designed with one thing in mind which was to keep flying in the event of a accident. I also believe they were Medallion powered but my memory could be wrong. I hope he sees this post and offers the pictures as they were impeccable.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 11:24:51 PM »
Sorry to take so long to notice this, Ken.  Yes, I did a built up wing 1/2A Skyray.  I did not upscale the plane.  I just took a copy of the full size Skyray 35 wing rib and reduced it to 53% of original size so that the chord was the same as a sheet wing Skyray.  All other dimensions/aspects of the fuselage/tail surfaces are identical to the 1/2A Skyray except the motor mount.  I built it for a Medallion/TD .049 engine rather than a Bee engine.  I did do a build thread and post it here back in August of 2017, but that thread seems to have lost all its pictures.  I'll copy and clean up the build posts from the CEF thread and re-post here.

Mark

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here