News:

• May 26, 2024, 05:53:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cubs aren't a competition engine - who'da thought?  (Read 813 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Cubs aren't a competition engine - who'da thought?
« on: May 01, 2010, 07:08:03 PM »
I have just been flying with a Cub .049 that has been carressed, cared for, tweaked and optimised.  A Babe Bee could steal it's lunch money!  Sorry gang, I tried.  With less than 50% Nitro and Propyline oxide, the babys just don't put out.

This particular engine is the Cub X which has the 2 bolt mounting that matches the Atwoods and Hollands.  I cleaned up the crank port, balance and all the bypass entries.  I pulled the head and after trial and error, ended up with a Hot, long reach plug with 3 gaskets ( best match to the cylinder head ).  The needle system was replaced by a Texas Timers fine thread needle unit.  (The Cub system is about the worst concievable!!!)

For a Cub, it is really good.  Otherwise, it is, at best, a trainer or sport FF ( Dakota? ) engine.  I managed figure eights with difficulty on a plane that an Atwood Shriek will haul around with authority.  I can also sub a Holland Hornet   VD~
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline philip metzner

• chevyiron420
  • Lieutenant
Re: Cubs aren't a competition engine - who'da thought?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 01:36:13 AM »
I have a cub "A" model that uses a glow head. I have also been told it is a "H" model?? With a drop in merlin plug it will almost run with a black widow.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 08:05:17 AM »
Many, many years ago when I didn't know any better, the OK Cub .049A was the engine I had.  I literally wore it out flying in my back yard(folks had 5 acre place).  But, before it wore out an older club member kept razzing me that his Babe Bee would fly circles around the  Cub.  So the race was on, 100 laps.  Can't remember who flew for me as I wanted to pit my own airplane.  Needless to say I won by a cosiderable margin as he couldn't get the Babe Bee restarted.  He also had it leaned out as he was passing me.  The old Cub usually took a few flips to start, even hot.  Even after I got a Babe Bee the Cub was still my favorite engine.  To me it is one of the better sport engines like the old Fox .35 Stunt.  With care they were great for sport flying. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 06:18:30 PM »
A couple of things that turned some folks away from cub are that they really should have a decent break in, and some left the factory with almost no taper on the needle, causing it to go from full rich to full lean in about half a turn.

I like Cubs.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 08:00:01 PM »
About 1969  one one of those lazy days when you have nothing to do and you really shouldn't be idle because your a 20 something ,a few of us decided to try an experiment.In the late 40's a fellow by the name of Leo Yobb had rigged up a small cylinder of Oxygen to his model and had rigged it to inject the 02 when the model got airborne. He probably wasn't the first one to do this.
We decided to repeat this experiment but not wanting to waste a perfectly good engine a lowly Cub 074 was selected for the experiment.
We rigged a small dribble tube to the stand and had it close to the venturi and fired it up after adjustment to proper rpm we cracked the cylinder open. Now I'm not going to say how much better that cub ran because it still remains the only small cub engine that ran fast enough and built up enough pressure to actually rupture the cylinder. It made 50% nitro look like flat soda. Needless to say we then knew why there is a provision in the aMA rules against gasseous boost to model engines.

Dennis

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here