News:

• May 26, 2024, 06:47:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Full Fuselage, built up wing  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Dennis_Langworthy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Full Fuselage, built up wing
« on: September 29, 2010, 08:48:50 PM »
Y'all have heard my story before, loved flying as a youngster and flash forward 30 plus years.  I'm trying to regain my youth and want to fly again.  Dug out my box of Cox engines from my folks basement and been working on them to get them back into top shape.  Now I'm ready to find a plane to put one of them on.  Looking for a kit with a full fuselage and built up wing and can't seem to find many.  Sorta like the Snapper from Minnesota Models, but have found nothing else.  LIke some of the Blackhawk Models, but don't want a solid wing, didn't like them years ago when I was learning to fly inverted don't think I'd be to happy with one now.  Can anyone point me towards what I am looking for?  Has anyone had good luck converting a 1/2a RC model to control line.  I'll probally end up designing and building my own planes, but want to use a kit for the first couple till I get back into the swing of things.  Yeah I know theres nothing wrong with a profile model, just not what I want to fly

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
Re: Full Fuselage, built up wing
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 09:15:38 PM »
FULL FUSE BUILT UP WING 1/2a.
hUNTER STUNTER/PINTO/THE LEGENDS (NOT KITTED)
LIL PAPOOSE I THINK.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 10:00:20 PM »
You could take a profile model with built-up wing and design a full fuse for it.

Check Blackhawk models -- I think they have a few kits that meet your requirements.

Most 1/2A RC planes are just too big -- maybe something that was originally for an 020.

What engines do you have?  Bees?  Black Widows?  Medallions?  Tee-Dees?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dennis_Langworthy

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 10:34:34 PM »
I'll have to go back and check Blackhawk , I didn't see any thing with a built up wing.  I am planning on using old version of the Black Widow or TD's.  I am also putting together a custom engine that should be a real screamer

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 11:17:35 PM »
For a Tee Dee, the Pinto or Hunter Stunter will fill the bill.  Totally competitive pattern models!  And RSM's kits have lovely laser cutting.

The Snapper is one of my all-time favorites, and I have Ray's kit, it is magnificent.  Let him know what engine you will use so he can set up the firewall position correctly.  The stock setup works a treat with old Atwood and Holland and even the backplate mounted Cubs.  For the Black Widow, you want the firewall moved back about an inch.

If you could succumb to the temptation of a profile, the choices open up drastically!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 07:45:45 AM »
The best such plane that meets those specs, was the Cadet, by Scientific.  I built two, both flew great. Machined balsa LE &TE, nice airfoil. no spars, box fuse made of 1/16" balsa.

As always, forget the vacuum-formed cowl and upside down engine
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 07:20:53 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 07:53:59 PM »
If you are looking for a 1/2A design that is capable of doing the pattern, there are a number of designs that have been published over the years.  Most of these would be suitable for either the Cox TD .049 or the Cox Medallian .049.   In many cases, the Medallian is the better choice.  Plans for most of these are available from one or several sources.  Most of these designs have flaps.  All have built up fuselages except the Magician listed below.

Several of these designs were the outgrowth of the unofficial 1/2A stunt events that were started in the mid 70's.

Pinto by Dick Mathis.  Flying Models, Dec 72.  This is a very good airplane.  Sort of a miniaturized Oriental.

Baby Bird by Tom Dixon. Model Aviation, Nov 86.

Barecat by Bob Baron. Model Aviation, Jun 99.  This is perhaps the best performing 1/2A stunt ship published.  No flaps.

Cheap thrill by Jim Thomerson. Model Aviation, Dec 98.

1/2A Fierce Arrow by Allen Brickhaus and Gerry Ruschke.  Flying Models, Sep 01.  A 1/2A version of Bill Netzeband's Fierce Arrow. 

freedom Fighter by Dick Byron.  Flying Models, April 81

Gremlin by Tom Dixon.  Model Builder, May 75

Half A Magician by Larry Renger.  Flying Models, Jan 00.  Profile but a good performer.

1/2A Mirage by Lou Wolgast.  Flying Models, Aug 80.  A very capable design.

Stuka Stunt by Barry Baxter.  Model Aviation, Sep 90.  A rather large bu impressive semiscale of the Stuka.

Sunspot by Chris Lella.  Model Airplane News, Oct 77.  Good numbers for stunt.

Tercel by Trostle.  Model Aviation, Sep 76.  This model has placed 1st at several of the Nats unofficial 1/2A stunt events.

This is not an exhaustive list, but is representative of the several designs that appeared after the mid 70's that are capable of performing the entire stunt pattern.  There are others, as well as a number of profiles and a few models that were published in the British Aeromodeller magazine.

Keith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here