News:

• May 08, 2024, 12:19:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: .010-.020 "stunters"  (Read 4072 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
.010-.020 "stunters"
« on: December 31, 2010, 06:09:39 PM »
Ok, I am on a "FUN" kick lately, running with ideas of different planes that don't fit the CLPA full blown stunter mold. 

A rough guess is needed on my part for sizes and weights that would work for a TD .010 profile and built up, plus Pee Wee .020 planes (don't have any TD .020s).

The old Goldberg Racer profiles (Shoestring, Cosmic Wind, Buster) all had small scale drawings of the models on the plans.  Maybe 1/4 scale of the full size models.  Been wanting to throw together some of those (starting with the Cosmic Wind) and use one of the above type engines.

I mainly need some rough ideas as stated above to see which way to go from any of you guys who have flown some of th e.010 and .020 planes as C/L.

Thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: .010-.020 "stunters"
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 07:40:37 PM »
        Bill, I have had a real blast with my Scarinzi designed Queen Bee. The plane is fast and very maneuverable. It uses a Pee Wee.020 and I surely wish the tank was larger as this could surely use it. As for stunters though I have a copy from a magazine for a .010 tee dee full body stunter called the Wee One. It claims a Pee Wee .020 would work well also. The plane as mentioned is full bodied with flaps. I want to dig these out and find them as I always wanted to build this plane. This is something that you just don't see on a regular basis. Ken

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 08:48:04 PM »
        Bill, I have had a real blast with my Scarinzi designed Queen Bee. The plane is fast and very maneuverable. It uses a Pee Wee.020 and I surely wish the tank was larger as this could surely use it. As for stunters though I have a copy from a magazine for a .010 tee dee full body stunter called the Wee One. It claims a Pee Wee .020 would work well also. The plane as mentioned is full bodied with flaps. I want to dig these out and find them as I always wanted to build this plane. This is something that you just don't see on a regular basis. Ken

HI Ken,

Thanks!  And your post reminded me that I *think* I have the Wee One plans!  Never have had the Queen Bee, but would love to find those plans.

I am going to experiment with a Comic Wind profile from the small drawings on the Goldberg plans and see how it goes.  Just a tiny version of the Goldberg Cosmic Wind.  Will try the TD .010 first. 

I need something to do while Aaron's engine cools between flights! LOL!!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 10:02:50 PM »
Bill,
I kit the following airplanes for the Cox TD010: Micro Ringmaster(1/4 scale Ringmaster), Micro Flite Streak (1/4 scale Streak), Micro Ringmaster Bipe (1/2 scale Beginners Ringmaster Bipe), Micro Fokker Dr1 (1/24 scale),Micro Sopwith Camel (1/24 scale), F82 Twin Mustang (1/32 scale). All are sheet wing airplanes, all are profile. The Micro Ringmaster weighs 1.3 oz. with the two pennies required to balance it. I don't know that any are stunt airplanes, but I do sell laser cut kits. I have sold more than 50 of the Micro Ringmaster kits. The picture is the Micro Ringmaster and the Micro Ringmaster Bipe sitting on the wings of my now deceased S1A.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 11:28:35 PM »
Hi Pat,

Looking forward to the DR-1 and Camel!

For anyone out there that doesn't know it, Pat makes some awesome kits, very reasonably priced, and I highly recommend them!  They are some of the very few kits I actually have!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 11:34:14 PM »
Pat, those little babies are just too precious!!! If i ever come across a .010 or .020 engine you will hear from me!  y1
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 06:43:52 AM »
You can pick up a kit of Scarinzi's Queen Bee from me.

My Baby SkyWriter, profile with built-up wing, flies great with .020 or .010 too.

the ShedDoor, shrunken version of my BarnDoor, is a lotta fun also.

--Ray
Minnesotamodeler
http://snipurl.com/9igp
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 08:21:17 AM »
There is a full body Knight Twister plan in an old American Modeller magazine for the .010. I think it had a semi-flat bottom airfoil but that is easy enough to change. I've always wanted to build one.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Dennis_Langworthy

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 10:20:50 AM »
Pat

What is your company name? or where do we find a list of the kits you sell?

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 10:53:18 AM »
Pat

What is your company name? or where do we find a list of the kits you sell?

Hi Dennis,

Pat is listed as :  "PDK LLC"  in the Vendor's Corner.  I just set him up there a couple days ago. ;D

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 11:47:57 AM »
See my Pee Wee stunter down a few threads.  The OTS Frank Ehling "Easy" comes in seven sizes from Campus A-100 CO2 to 60.  I think the 1/2A size one might fly OK with a PeeWee.  I have a miniature Drone .033 diesel which I plan to put into one of the smaller Easys.

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 12:18:14 PM »
I will get a list of plans and kits posted in the next few days. The plans could be had as a kit or short kit if someone really wanted them that way. The only one I will not kit is the Flite Streak, I will not cut into Brodak's kit sales. I do give away a file of the plans that can be printed and scratch built. Some of the plans will need to be re-engineered slightly for them to be produced as a kit. Once I get the plans finished for the Flying Fool, I will re-design the wings on the Ringmaster Bipe to use the same construction as the Ringmaster Jr. and the Jr. Flash. The Jr. Flash prototype is under construction now. #^ #^ #^

Thanks,  Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 12:34:40 PM »
Never have had the Queen Bee, but would love to find those plans....

Bill

Bill-

I have the article upstairs. Should you decide to build one and need a scaling factor, the span is 11 1/16". The article says that they flew on 10' - 15' lines and aimed for a weight of 1.4 oz, engine included. The finished model was flexible, and covered with Japanese tissue, with 2-4 coats of thinned dope.  Leading and trailing edges were medium/soft balsa. Silkspan would require denser wood. As can be seen, the fuselage keys into both wings. The photos are third generation - original scans lost, but images copied from newsletter file.

SK

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 01:09:25 PM »
Well, I'll make the point again, just because...I tried 12' lines with my first 1/4A and promptly threw them away, went to 15', still 'way too short, things just happened too fast (and I'm an old Fast Combater)--I now use 20' minimum, up to the old 1/2A standard of 27', and that's none too long...even for my .010.  Go ahead and try the 10' lines but don't say I didn't warn you!

but, these 1/4As are a blast.  Build 'em out of your scrap box, they're not heavy enough to break when they crash, just pick 'em up and go again.  I used the ShedDoor in the pic (reply #6) for a flight trainer for a 10-year-old, using the "sink-or-swim" method--put him on the handle by himself, start and launch (repeat as needed), shout encouragement and instruction from the sidelines.  he must have crashed it 30 times--still hanging on my wall ready to go again.

Yeah, I know, there's better ways to teach, but this kid was cocky, thought it couldn't be that hard.  It was a good humbling experience.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 03:48:59 PM »
Hi Ray,

Don't really know what to say, except "I am sorry!'  Didn't mean to upset you with my story of Dan's Mini Slob.  Like I said, going on memory and saw him fly it a couple times in the "tent area."  Don't know the actual length of the line (I can find out from Dan if he actually measured them, I doubt it), but they were short, and it wasn't "that fast".  It just "buzzed around" cocked out abut 45* from the control lines.

My original question was:

A rough guess is needed on my part for sizes and weights that would work for a TD .010 profile and built up, plus Pee Wee .020 planes (don't have any TD .020s).

And truth be know, I have enjoyed all the other posts, but the original question was never really answered.

I'm not meaning to be offensive.  I leave no doubt if and when I am trying to be.

THANKS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 09:14:29 PM »
Bill

Back to your original post.  There was an interesting exchange about small stunters on Stuka Stunt in 2002.  You could do a search on 1/4A Stunt and find it.  I posted on that thread several times to list the 1/2A stunt ships that have been published over the years, and then a separate list of the small stuff for .010 engines.  Here is some of the informtion (slightly edited) from what I wrote at that time.

My file on 1/2A stunt ships has more than 60 construction articles that have been published over the years. This does not include all of the Aeromodeller designs that provided full size plans with the magazine. There are at least another dozen or so of these. Some of those Aeromodeller designs for .049's would fly fairly well.

In that collection are several designs for the TD .010 engine.

Little Bit, Model Builder, Jan 79, by Randy Heydon, for Cox .010., 24 in span, 90 sq in. no flaps

This "Little Bit" is for the TD .010. The plans published in the magazine were a little larger than 1/2 full size. The article describes flying it on 22 to 35 foot lines and claims to be able to do the whole pattern. It is a fairly high aspect ratio wing, fully sheeted with 1/32 in balsa with no flaps. It looks to be one of the more practicle .010 CL designs published that can probably get through some semblance of the pattern.

Chubby, Aeromodeller. This is a 13 inch biplane with a built-up profile fuselage that might be a bit heavy for the .010, but is an interesting airplane.

Lil Stingray by Harold Price, Nov/Dec 64 American Modeller. This is not a bad looking airplane. Flew on 20 foot lines. Could do consecutive loops that were three feet in diameter. Could wind fly (dead engine) and perform loops. 18 inch span, 3/4 oz total weight,built up wing with a 20% section, no flaps.

Mercuian Mite, Jul 55 Aeromodeller. A 7 inch diameter flying saucer.

And of course, there is the Scarinzi Queen Bee,  Jun 60 Model Airplane News.  This was for the .020.  This has been discussed in previous posts on his thread and the magazine plans ae shown aove.

This is what I have for these smaller airplanes in my file of published designs.  There may be more and I have not intentionally omitted any.  I could go through the Aeromodeller plans I have to see if there is anything there that is practicle, but for the .010 or .020 engines, I do not think there is much there if my memory serves me.

One thing that prevails in all of this is that the things are all extremely light.  If you do not have access to any of these articles, and you re interested, let me know and I can copy or send you measurements.

Hope this helps.

Keith

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 09:33:15 PM »
Thanks, Keith!  An overall idea of the measurements is what I am looking for.  I want to use the old pencil and paper to draw up some ideas.

I forgot the Lil' Stingray by Harold.  I have that issue of American Modeler tucked away!  Didn't Charles Mackey have a "Liberty Bell", also?  A sheet wing actually in the shape of the Liberty Bell.  Could have been for a Babe Bee .049, I can't remember, but I saw the article a good while ago looking through old magazines.

Thanks, I'll email you.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 10:54:36 PM »
  Didn't Charles Mackey have a "Liberty Bell", also?  A sheet wing actually in the shape of the Liberty Bell.  Could have been for a Babe Bee .049, I can't remember, but I saw the article a good while ago looking through old magazines.

Thanks, I'll email you.

Bill

The Mackey Liberty Bell was for an .010.   American Modeler, Sep 67.  15-20 foot lines.  Engine is offset by close to 45 degrees.  All 3/32 sheet.  The scale is not given, but based on the prop shown on the plans, the span is about 13 inches,  Length, including the engine is about 12 inches.  Can do the stunts, but Charlie writes that squares are a bit of a challenge on 15 foot lines.  Can do a "sabre dance".  We were at the Mackey Open recently and he is still doing strange things, this time with "foamy" electric RC stuff where the top profile shape is the same as the side profile shape.    These can do some remarkable stuff.

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 11:41:06 PM »
Bill,
The Micro ringmaster has a 10 1/2" wingspan, 23.8 square inches. With engine and balancing weight it weighs 1.3 ounces. That is a profile with 3/32 sheet wing and 3/16 fuselage. The airplane needs about 20' lines, or a speed flyer on the handle. One of the guys said he tried his on 12' lines and "screwed himself into the ground".

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 09:52:36 PM »
Hi Ray,

Don't really know what to say, except "I am sorry!'  Didn't mean to upset you with my story of Dan's Mini Slob.  Like I said, going on memory and saw him fly it a couple times in the "tent area."  Don't know the actual length of the line (I can find out from Dan if he actually measured them, I doubt it), but they were short, and it wasn't "that fast".  It just "buzzed around" cocked out abut 45* from the control lines.

Bill

Bill, I wasn't upset, and am sorry I left that impression...just trying to be sorta facetious about the short lines.  I need to make use of those emoticons I guess, they leave no doubt about mood. 

Re: your original question: 
My baby SkyWriter is 21" span, 5" chord, = a little over 100 s.i. area (lose a little in the tips); 15" long from rudder to prop; 2.75 oz. RTF, currently with the .010 on it.  Last time I flew it, I used 27' lines.

My ShedDoor is 18" span, around 90 s.i. area, 12.5" long, 3.5 oz. RTF(a little porky); .020 PeeWee.

The QB, my version, is 11" span, 3" chord (x2) = 65 s.i. or so; 9" long, 2 oz. RTF. Currently equipped with a PeeWee .020 but was last flown with the .010. 

Hope this helps, as some typical examples of 1/4A-sized planes.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 03:53:15 AM »
     Bill if you think the .010 bi-slob was something you should see the new bi-slob. Dan's .010 bi slob is no longer with us. The wing strut construction was problematic and kept breaking. This was probably due to its lightweight balsa more than anything. The other problem was the Jap tissue was so fragile on the open bays. He made the coolest little .010 piper cub. He inked checkerboards on the stab and the typical lightning like bolt insignia down the side of the fuse. I must say its a cool model. The new slob though is using a Supertigre-3000 for power. Its quite impressive to say the least. Ken

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 02:38:38 PM »
The Mackey Liberty Bell was for an .010.   American Modeler, Sep 67.  15-20 foot lines.  Engine is offset by close to 45 degrees.  All 3/32 sheet.  The scale is not given, but based on the prop shown on the plans, the span is about 13 inches,  Length, including the engine is about 12 inches.  Can do the stunts, but Charlie writes that squares are a bit of a challenge on 15 foot lines.  Can do a "sabre dance".  We were at the Mackey Open recently and he is still doing strange things, this time with "foamy" electric RC stuff where the top profile shape is the same as the side profile shape.    These can do some remarkable stuff.

Dang it you guys .. you've "forced" me to build a Tinker Bell. The Sabre Dance thing was the final straw.  ;D
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 04:04:31 PM »
Don't you think you need a little more offset on that engine????
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 05:19:59 PM »
Don't you think you need a little more offset on that engine????

Yes I do believe that if lots is good, more should be better.  S?P S?P LL~ LL~

Actually, Charles Mackey used severe engine offset to advantage in several of his published designs - Liberty Bell, Redwing & Monster. There may be more as he was a rather prolific designer.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 05:57:55 PM »
     Bill if you think the .010 bi-slob was something you should see the new bi-slob. Dan's .010 bi slob is no longer with us. The wing strut construction was problematic and kept breaking. This was probably due to its lightweight balsa more than anything. The other problem was the Jap tissue was so fragile on the open bays. He made the coolest little .010 piper cub. He inked checkerboards on the stab and the typical lightning like bolt insignia down the side of the fuse. I must say its a cool model. The new slob though is using a Supertigre-3000 for power. Its quite impressive to say the least. Ken

ST 3000????????? insane,......... but then Dan IS insane.......... LL~ LL~ LL~
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 10:17:36 AM »
Dennis-

Very nice workmanship, as always! For any non-believers...

SK

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here