News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:40:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Wanted : Firebaby parts"  (Read 719 times)

Offline Steve Ehlers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
"Wanted : Firebaby parts"
« on: July 28, 2010, 08:56:52 PM »

Hello ,
I have wanted a Firebaby for years to collect .I had one as a kid for 3 seconds after my dad let it go on my first flight when I was about 6 years old in the very early 1960's .It went straight up and down into the concrete parking lot ! I was pretty scared I think ,and Now mad ,I didn't get to learn U Control with it then .Of course I did later and really was good at it .Then Dad taught me to fly R/C as an early teen .Got back into flying R/C about 17 years ago when I started my family .I have bid on ebay for many of these over the years and have never been able to afford what they went for .

Does anybody have parts or incomplete kits that I can make a plane with ?
I had the plastic fuse design but would possibly consider the early version made of balsa .Plans anyone to scratch out an Early version ??
Thanks for any help or direction in my quest .
Steve

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
Re: "Wanted : Firebaby parts"
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 01:59:54 PM »
Hi Steve,

In the early 50's I taught myself and several friends how to fly, with a Firebaby and McCoy 049 diesel engine. We replaced wings and other parts as they broke, or became fuel soaked, but finally wore it out. Always wanted another one, but like you was put off by the prices.

Frank Macy was an honorary life member of our Fireballs club, here in the Portland Oregon area where Jim Walker had his company. Talked to Frank several times about getting an original Firebaby kit, but he only had the plastic fuselage version for sale at the time. There were no full size plans with the original kit if I recall, just an exploded view to help with assembly.

Gil Coughlin was another friend who had a great collection of Firebaby kits and assembled airplanes, that he displayed every year at the Seattle area Model Expo. Here is a link, to the Flying Lines article on both gentleman (Frank is on the left in the picture).

http://flyinglines.org/obit.coughlinmacy.html

Sadly, both are gone now, and I've no idea where one might find any of their kits, or models.

I'd love to see Brodak clone the Firebaby kits, but I seriously doubt there is a big enough market to make that profitable.

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 01:21:11 PM »
There is quite a bit about the Firebaby on RCGroups. Just do a google search for AJ Firebaby. Somebody posted a picture of parts and some dimension info. I scaled it up. It probably is good enough to build from
John

Offline Steve Ehlers

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 08:15:39 PM »
Hey Bill and John ,
 Sorry for not thanking you for your time to reply ,but I just found your replies today .Thanks for the comments and links .
Somebody is shipping me something this week ,of which I don't know what it is yet .I have now been contacted by a few
with NOS kits and a few parts ,so I'm thankful for the internet and it's ability to search out the nostalgic items of our past .
Thanks to all that have helped me so far !

Regards ,
Steve Ehlers

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here