News:

• May 19, 2024, 04:00:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Joey's Dad builds a Tom Perry Design  (Read 869 times)

Offline Tom Perry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Joey's Dad builds a Tom Perry Design
« on: February 25, 2008, 07:37:39 AM »
Bob Mathison put this together.  The wing is about 135 square inches.  Fuselage is 13 1/4 inches long.  Wing is 1 inch thick at high point and has a 4 1/2 cord sans flaps with a 24" span not including wing tips.

The leading edge is made up from 3/16 square balsa and sanded to form the curved leading edge.  The trailing edge is is 1/4 inch balsa and is tapered to fit the 3/16" flaps.

The fuselage is 1/4 inch balsa with a front end made from 1/4" plywood.  The ply is shown in red in the diagram.

The plane was designed for use with a cox baby bee.  If a golden bee or black widow is to be used the fuse front end should be shortened by 1/4".

The model was designed to be used as a trainer for my triplet grand children, hence the rugged construction.

Bob and I plan to modify the front end for use with cox production engines and the big mig .049.  I've been ill for the past year and I thank bob for his help in completing the first one.  The wing tips, vertical stab and canopy were left to the builder.

If the thing flys I will publish a set of plans and offer them here for free.  :)

Edited to add that there are 1/32" inch ply doublers on each side that run from the fire wall to the back of the wing.  Remember I built it to be rugged. LOL
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 06:14:05 PM by Tom Perry »
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
Re: Joey's Dad builds a Tom Perry Design
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 12:08:34 PM »
Great looking thanks TOM can't wait for a flight report. Looks like it will fly great how much does it weight. What kind of covering. I see it has cloth hinges. y1 (PE**)
You don't stop flying cause your get OLD
You get OLD cause you stopped flying
St Peter MN
Present Master of the Figure 9

Offline Robert Mathison

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 01:28:27 PM »

I went out in the work area to check the weight and it came to 200 GRAMS, and it is covered with silk span.

BOB

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 03:58:14 PM »
Great looking thanks TOM can't wait for a flight report. Looks like it will fly great how much does it weight. What kind of covering. I see it has cloth hinges. y1 (PE**)

Mike,

Bob sent me a note and said it weighed 206 grams.  This works out to about 7 1/4 oz.  I calculate a wing loading of 7.73 oz. per sq. ft. not bad for a trainer.  LL~

The finish is dope and silk span.  I pre-assembled the horz. stab and elevator and used nylon ribbon purchased from th LHS.  I think either Dubro or Carl Goldburg packaged them.  They were applied using testors fast dry cement.

Bob and I have talked about building one with moving flaps but I want to see how this one flys first.  Note that since the flaps are so large the movable portion may not be full width.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 08:45:36 AM by Tom Perry »
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here