News:

• May 17, 2024, 07:53:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: rustoleum  (Read 982 times)

Offline Dennis_Langworthy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
rustoleum
« on: October 25, 2010, 06:11:49 PM »
I've been out of modeling for years and can't seem to find a good selection localy of fuel proof dope.  Don't seem to have the colors that I am looking for.  I have read under the painting  and finishing section here that people are using rustoleum, but also read that  they are only good for up to 10% or 15% nitro.  I plan on spraying a test strip, but would like to hear what results others have had on 1/2a's with higher nitro.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: rustoleum
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 07:34:23 PM »
I drizzled some 35% nitro on a test strip of Rustoleum -- but it had sat for over a month.  Further, it was yellow and I've heard rumors that darker colors aren't as fuel proof.  Further yet, I've heard that you have to use the gloss "protective enamel".  Certainly the "flat black" that I used for the canopy of the plane got soft from fuel, although it seems to not be as bad now as it was originally.

So if you point it with yellow "protective enamel", and you paint yourself a good-sized test strip, and you test against the test strip before you fly, then eventually it ought to work.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 07:48:07 PM »
      Dennis, I would highly suggest trying Nelson Hobby paints. I've stated this more than once on here and there is no other paint that will hold up to the high nitro fuels next to something like K&B Poxy or Klass Kote paints. Nelson paints are water based  and it requires a bit of patience at first to get used to it.  I use it with 40% nitro and it holds up pretty darn good.  Its far more fuel proof than dope. It gives a pretty good shine when you use the clear that Jerry Nelson offers. I use a foam brush to apply it. It can be sprayed, but I never tried it. Its a bit pricy but a little goes a long way. It has low toxicity and virtually no smell. Ken

Offline Dennis_Langworthy

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 08:14:12 PM »
Thank you Kenneth.  I hadn't heard of Nelsons Paint, but it seems to be perfect for me since my work area is in a spare bedroom.  I just visited his web site and found out that he is just a few miles from me so dropped him a email to see if I could swing by and pick some up.  He had the colors that I wanted in stock.  I plan on spraying the finish and will let you know how it turns out

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 03:22:04 PM »
where to buy nelsons paint?

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 04:21:31 PM »
Here is Nelson Paint:  http://www.nelsonhobby.com/paint.html 

Information previously posted about Rustoleum suggests that clear and metalics are not fuel proof. Most suggest letting it set for a couple of weeks before subjecting it to nitro.

I have not used Rustoleum nor Nelson paint. I prefer Brodak dope, or SIG dope. Brodak covers in fewer coats and dries faster, but both work great for me.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 06:37:19 PM »
I have used Nelson's paint for an old RC electric, and was nothing but pleased with it (although obviously Nitro didn't enter into the equation).  Maybe I should think about using it again.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here