News:

• May 20, 2024, 06:24:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bladder tank?  (Read 1168 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Bladder tank?
« on: October 24, 2013, 08:17:57 PM »
Can I a bladder tank be set up without placing it in a 35mm film canister.  I would just like to loosely tie it to the side of the airplane.  I have the bladder tank makings from Texas Timers.  I built a tank and when loaded with a 1/2 oz of fuel it isn't that big.  Is the weight and drag of the film canister necessary?  This is going on a Baby Ringmaster and a film canister doesn't fit all that well.

PS I do have a TD with a fine thread needle.  I think it is Ace brand.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Dan Berry

• Admiral
Re: Bladder tank?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 10:06:06 PM »
You need to keep the bladder from thrashing around. The canister would control it. It also cuts down on fuel spraying you face and everything else when it bursts. Which it will.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 01:16:52 PM »
Ed Bryz in Detroit flies full size combat foamies with the bladder outside the wing. He puts a rubber band on the back of the bladder and secures it to the fuse at the trailing edge. I see no reason this would not work on a 1/2a model.  Mike
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 03:24:28 PM »

DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 05:29:00 AM »

What is that "hair net" lookin thing around the bladder, that ought to work well..??
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 06:16:37 AM »
 What is that "hair net" lookin thing around the bladder, that ought to work well..??
I bought a power washer from Lowes a few years ago and that black mesh was an accessory bag with fittings. It's strong stuff with no stretch. I just fold a square of it in half on a piece of paper and dab a bead of epoxy on the edge. When it hardens I cut the paper away except for a quarter inch along the edge. It's easy to thread zip ties through for securing the bladder fitting to the fuel tube and filter, and the anchor string to the fuse. Since it has no stretch you have to make sure it's big enough around so as not to constrict the bladder. Once I made one only slightly too tight and after 15 laps or so, the pressure on the outside of the bladder would be relieved and the engine would go lean and die. And if the bladder bursts it keeps the spray from flying in your face... assuming you're being careful already.

After using bladders, I see no reason to ever go back to a hard tank.. Once you find your needle setting, it only ever changes slightly with weather or different fuel. After flying I pump alcohol in and out a few times and squeeze it dry and they last a good while. I took my Li'l Satan out last week after it was hanging in the shop since last winter and took a chance on the old bladder that was still on it. It worked fine. I'd forgotten what a badass little plane it was with a Tee Dee .049. Talk about burning some fast laps! I put an ounce and a half in it. Thank goodness for lazy 8s.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Jim Roselle

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 06:55:42 AM »

The bladder is tied to a rubber band , the rubber band goes around the wing. Ditto what Rusty said about never going back to a tank.

Jim

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 09:56:15 PM »
I just make a little container with balsa ends and a piece of manial folder cardboard wrapped around it.  The completed container is monokoted.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here