News:

• April 30, 2024, 03:42:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Shaved" Tee Dee cylinder.  (Read 1426 times)

Jim Roselle

• Trade Count: (0)
"Shaved" Tee Dee cylinder.
« on: November 04, 2013, 03:52:39 PM »
Came across this awhile ago:

The ridge on the glow plug mating surface of this #4 cylinder has been machined off. Piston fit is super tight.
I installed it on a tee dee with a timing shim between the cylinder and case and five glow head washers. Could not get it to start so I tried it on reed valve with a spring starter and only got mid 17k out of it with 18% nitro and a cox 5x3. Any advice on how to get the best performance out of this thing would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Jim
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 04:27:34 PM by Jim Roselle »

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: "Shaved" Tee Dee cylinder.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 11:41:51 PM »
Tee Dees and all Cox engines, after about 1950, seal at the bottom of the plug, not in the area you see as shaved. It should have NO effect on the engine.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 03:22:59 AM »
That's right. The super tight piston is a clue though. Unless the piston crown rises past the head landing, that timing shim isn't helping anything. Is another piston super tight? If so, then the cylinder must be out of round, assuming it's not a burr in the exhaust port, but I know you know that.

Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Jim Roselle

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 05:24:26 AM »
Tee Dees and all Cox engines, after about 1950, seal at the bottom of the plug, not in the area you see as shaved. It should have NO effect on the engine.
You're right, I wonder why the top of the cylinder was milled then?

Jim

Jim Roselle

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 05:36:57 AM »
That's right. The super tight piston is a clue though. Unless the piston crown rises past the head landing, that timing shim isn't helping anything. Is another piston super tight? If so, then the cylinder must be out of round, assuming it's not a burr in the exhaust port, but I know you know that.

Rusty
It's not overly tight, just a good snug fit.  I never put it back on the Tee Dee after I loosened things up on the reedie. I will have to give it another go on the Tee Dee.

Jim

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 06:56:16 AM »
It's not overly tight, just a good snug fit.  I never put it back on the Tee Dee after I loosened things up on the reedie. I will have to give it another go on the Tee Dee.

Jim

Is it tight all the way up the barrel or just an unusually tight pinch at the top? I came into the Tee Dees late in life(how unfortunate for me), and have only seen two brand new #4s in the Cox package, so that puts me completely in guessing territory now. I think some later ones are not even tapered. Now I'm just curious as to what you figure out about it.

I think Bernie's Tee Dee .049 replacements are pretty good if the fit is right, but I have yet to try one. I'd also love to have a spare #5, as I suppose a lot of people would. Like you, Jim I love to fly mine, not just look at them.

Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Jim Roselle

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 08:04:19 AM »
Is it tight all the way up the barrel or just an unusually tight pinch at the top? I came into the Tee Dees late in life(how unfortunate for me), and have only seen two brand new #4s in the Cox package, so that puts me completely in guessing territory now. I think some later ones are not even tapered. Now I'm just curious as to what you figure out about it.

I think Bernie's Tee Dee .049 replacements are pretty good if the fit is right, but I have yet to try one. I'd also love to have a spare #5, as I suppose a lot of people would. Like you, Jim I love to fly mine, not just look at them.

Rusty
Just a really tight pinch at the top. I matched up a set yesterday that was pinched so tight it wouldn't start without a timing shim to keep the piston from going all the way up. Ran 2 rich extra castor ounces through like that to loosen up the piston then ran it without the shim, rich and oily. Going to fly it today, should be a real screamer.

Jim

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here