News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:13:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "mini-gician" by Southridge CNC  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Ken Keller

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
"mini-gician" by Southridge CNC
« on: April 01, 2015, 08:17:31 AM »
 I'm a long time member,but usually don't post. I just enjoy building and reading others ideas and comments. Anyway, I met Greg the other week at a swap meet and purchased 2 of his "mini-gician" kits. I finally got to open them today. I can't say enough good things about the quality of the wood, the plans or the instruction booklet! Parts look like they'll just fall together. I actually just ordered 2 Mark 2's from Brodak's  for these 2 kits. Now to find the time to build them!!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: "mini-gician" by Southridge CNC
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 09:38:05 AM »
I would love to see photos of this design, as it is new to me.  H^^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 10:08:20 AM »
Here's the pics Greg put up in the vendors corner ad..

Offline Ken Keller

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 12:41:04 PM »
Larry, I'm not able to post pictures (no cell phone by choice and digital camera on loan to son). I can tell you specs, however. Wing span 26", area 132 sq. in. length is 26". Looks like nice kit, He makes kit either beam mount or radial for black widow or babe bee. I don't know yet how it will build, been too busy planting seeds for garden and general clean up of yard. Hopefully will be able to start build end of next week. With the way kit looks and quality of CNC'd parts it shouldn't take more than 4 or 5 hrs. to build. Dope ,silk, and sanding will take much longer.

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 04:26:06 PM »
That is a really cute reed magician! Two thumbs up!!!
Tally ho
Rosie
Richard "Rosie" Rosenau Jr, Yelm WA, USA

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 12:26:24 AM »
On that small a model, I strongly suggest covering with a park flyer weight film or Coverlite. Either is available from Hobby People or Tower Hobbies. Silk is out of the question due to weight considerations!

I usually have a minimum of 150 sq.in. for a Black Widow.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 09:44:08 AM »
I'm with Mr. Renger on this one. The coverlite is awesome light weight iron on synthetic tissue... Econokote is also a light option. And because of the lower shrink heat, easy to put on a 1/2A wing without warping.

Offline Ken Keller

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 06:54:18 AM »
Gentlemen, Sorry for the long delay in responding but honeydo list gets in the way of everything! ( happy wife , happy life ) Most of you know how that goes!Anyway, yesterday I simply disappeared into garage and never came out. "mini-gician" took approx. 5hrs to build using ca glue. Haven't covered it yet though. While I know there's lighter and easier ways to cover plane, I'm old school all the way. Dope and silk on everything I build. Over the last 40 some years I've tried most everything and keep returning to dope and silk. Don't know why, Maybee the fumes clear my head or it's just nostalgia. Besides on a 1/2a plane it only adds maybe an ounce to an ounce and a half over modern finishes and the way I fly it doesn't matter. My motto is; be safe , have fun and don't take myself too seriously. The Brodak mk2's that I bought were also broken in yesterday. Sig 35/20 with additional caster added(love the smell).At first couldn't get them to fire by hand flipping prop , so I modified a Norvel spring starter and guess what? They fired up first time I used it! After 5 short runs on each with a 5-3 m. a. prop, I switched to a rev up 6-3 and both are singing along happily tacked at 14,000 rpm,+ or- approx. 150 rpm! Was really surprised at that. They easily start with 2 or 3 hand flips now. Seems like a good motor for the $. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here