News:

• May 02, 2024, 07:52:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Little Bit" is for the TD .010  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Carl Mataratzo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
"Little Bit" is for the TD .010
« on: October 07, 2011, 08:52:05 PM »

Little Bit, Model Builder, Jan 79, by Randy Heydon, for Cox .010., 24 in span, 90 sq in. no flaps

This "Little Bit" is for the TD .010. The plans published in the magazine were a little larger than 1/2 full size. The article describes flying it on 22 to 35 foot lines and claims to be able to do the whole pattern. It is a fairly high aspect ratio wing, fully sheeted with 1/32 in balsa with no flaps. It looks to be one of the more practicle .010 CL designs published that can probably get through some semblance of the pattern.

Keith

Can someone post a picture or the plans for this plane? what were the dimensions?

CM

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: "Little Bit" is for the TD .010
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 04:56:39 AM »
         Carl, another interesting .010 project is the "Wee One". I've had this on the back burner for some time now. A full body stunter with flaps. The plans state .010 or Pee Wee .020.

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 06:05:30 AM »
Plan for the Wee One can be found at:
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1021
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Carl Mataratzo

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 06:52:18 AM »
thank you for posting that, it looks like it would fly really well.

honestly, this started as a project searching for something to fly in the parking lot at work. I was looking at the Hobby King Gee Bee 3d and thinking of converting to control line, then I found a thread where kieth trostle was talking about 1/4a plans... I may be hooked.

is anyone doing these as electrics?

cm

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 07:05:24 AM »
Electric...
I suppose it could work if you find a suitable setup.

There's a plan for an indoor foamy Gee Bee R3 (sorta) at
http://www.jpaeromodels.com/planosvuelocircular/Electricos.htm

Designed by Euro Champ Igor Burger. If you search Youtube for Igor Burger, you can find videos of him flying it in a gym. I believe it is shown in some thread(s) here too.

That plan PDF is not really printer-friendly, but you should be able to print the relevant sections from Adobe Reader by printing "Current View" without any resizing.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 10:15:49 AM »
           In addition Dan Banjock of the Philly Fliers has made a .010 Bi-slob. It was surely a cool little plane. Covered in Jap tissue red, white fuse, blue trim it had a great look to it. I'm going flying with Dan today and will find out any additional information for those interested. The Bi-slob met its fate when it flew into the circle after doing several successive loops. One problem with these small planes is the weight gain after several repairs. He also made a Piper Cub which is truly a work of art. It has inked checker boards on the tips and rudder. It stunts fairly well but I think he may be favoring this one due to its awesome paint work. Ken

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 02:44:45 PM »
Another good choice would be Larry Scarinzi's "Queen Bee" profile biplane for the Pee Wee .020. It's a very cute little airplane, and an easy build.

Plans are available, and Ray Stone was kitting it at one time. It was published in FM, but I don't remember the issue date. I can look it up if you are interested.

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 03:04:10 PM »
Queen Bee plans and article are out there to download.

http://www.starcadplans.net/index.php/downloads/doc_details/162-queen-bee.html

A few more pages at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17978436&postcount=3328

(files are too large to post here)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 11:47:07 PM »
The Little Bit was designed by Randy Heydon.  This evening, at our club meeting, I told him of the interest in the model and perhaps he will come and chat!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Randy Heydon

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 05:50:47 PM »
Carl

The Little Bit was the last in a series of .010 Stunters. I built two of them. The first one first one was finished in clear dope, with just a little colored trim, and weighed 2 ½ ounces. The second one, pictured in the magazine, was fully painted and weighed 3 ½ ounces. The first one clearly flew better until it met its demise while wind flying it at Torry Pines. I was a low time pattern flyer but could easily get through the pattern with it. No pattern I flew looked very good at the time. Lap times were fairly short which led to trying longer lines. Twenty-five foot sewing thread, and thirty foot .004” wire were the most commonly used lines. In good weather, and using some finesse, thirty-five foot line could be used. I found the .010 to be most happy using a bored out venturi, a bladder tank, and high nitro.

I notice you are a beginner flyer. The Little Bit may not be the best bang for you buck and efforts. A simple all sheet plane, 1/8” fuse and 1/16” surfaces, may be more practical.

I can post scans of the magazine planes if that OK to do.

Thanks for your interest.

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here