News:

• May 04, 2024, 02:17:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2a handle vs bellcrank  (Read 2107 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
1/2a handle vs bellcrank
« on: April 03, 2015, 12:20:42 AM »
I often here that people recommend making the line separation very close on 1/2a handles and wonder if just using a larger bellcrank and different setting on the bellcrank and control horn might be used instead to allow a more consistant feel on the handle.

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 1/2a handle vs bellcrank
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 12:38:36 AM »
Yes.

KT

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 08:31:26 AM »

the bellcrank is the last part of the equation..u can get the lines so close that u wont have enough control.
  i built a profile Nobler and put all the newest and greatest controls in it , i could not get it to where it was comfertble to fly .got the handle so close that i couldnt keep up with it .i finally bit the bullit and cut into the wing and moved the pushrod to the inside most hole .that made all the diff. .i could move the handle spacing back out and not over control it now it is fun to fly  .i think a 3 in spacing is a good start for 1/2 A
rad racer

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 11:23:52 AM »
I had a similar issue with my flapped 1/2 a magician. I ended up with a handle spacing of 1 3/8th to be the best. Then I changed my flap horn and elevator horn locations and went back to my standard 3 inch handles..  I need to find a new sweat spot again but I know the plane has one and I will find it again .  Just do not give up. The answer is out here... Guys where did we put the magic answers again? Was it on Harry Potter's railroad platform 9 3/4th or was in the elevator that goes left to right and not up or down.

The truth is out there. Good luck
Tally ho
Rosie
Richard "Rosie" Rosenau Jr, Yelm WA, USA

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 12:52:31 AM »
Getting the correct CG and control sensitivity are 90% of the battle. Once you have them tuned in you can begin to trim the rest of the plane for tip weight, leadout location and trim tab settings.

Control surface throw at full handle deflection should be about 20 deg. with the handle spacing about the same as the size of the bellcrank.Then, what I do, is fly the model with my handle immobilized against my chest. It should track exactly where the handle is aimed without oscillation. Also, be sure that the lines trail out exactly at right angle to the handle. Bias up or down will cause inside and outside maneuvers to be different. Adjust the CG foreward or back until the model is just smooth. Now you have a good base to work from.

Yes, it is that simple. For more sophisticated trim advice, search Brett Buck on trim.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:05:46 AM by Larry Renger »
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 08:48:01 PM »
I will try that one. Something new or old that I have not tried is always welcome  in my tool box. Thank you.o
Richard "Rosie" Rosenau Jr, Yelm WA, USA

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 07:02:37 AM »
The handle and the bellcrank are a team that needs to work together.

The bellcrank is the receiver.  It needs to receive enough input to move 45 degrees each way from center.  The size of the bellcrank will convert this 90 degrees of total travel to a  solution in inches of input.

Your own personal wrist technique is different from everybody else.  So you need to find a handle size that converts your degrees of wrist travel in inches of line travel equal to what the bellcrank needs. 

But if you use an oversize handle you will transmit too much travel and hang the plane on one line.  This is bad.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here