News:

• March 29, 2024, 05:32:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: blown flap system  (Read 3982 times)

Offline tom creasey

• 1st. Lieutenant
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
blown flap system
« on: December 22, 2015, 09:21:18 PM »
I don't know were to post my build, so I put my build in a couple of spots. This is Sherry Beth my P40- Warhawk and build from scratch except the wing is from a Twister kit and the fuselage is from a Midwest P-40 kit from which I built in 1976. My paint scheme is WWII 80th fighter group. Feel free to comment
Tom
AMA 1073788

Offline tom creasey

• 1st. Lieutenant
  • Lieutenant
Re: blown flap system
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 09:34:41 PM »
   Anybody wants to build the blown flap system PM me
Tom
AMA 1073788

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 07:25:18 AM »
Hello Tom,
Looks very interesting, have you tried the system on other models? If so, how did it turn out? I don't claim to understand how this works, have you an explanation for a layman?

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 01:11:53 PM »
Is it truly blown, or is it just directing airflow?
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 01:46:49 PM »
It's just directing airflow.  This is a matter of definition.  In the airplane industry, we define blown flaps as flaps getting air from a power source other than the airstream: from engine bleed air in the case of the F-4.  We'd call Wes's system "slotted flaps".  Here's a piece on slotted flaps: http://cafefoundation.org/v2/pdf_tech/High.Lift/Elsevier.Prog.AS.HighLift.vDam.02.pdf .  On the scale of misuse of technical terms by the stunt community, this is a very minor offense. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline beercamel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 04:43:46 PM »
It's just directing airflow.  This is a matter of definition.  In the airplane industry, we define blown flaps as flaps getting air from a power source other than the airstream: from engine bleed air in the case of the F-4.  We'd call Wes's system "slotted flaps".  Here's a piece on slotted flaps: http://cafefoundation.org/v2/pdf_tech/High.Lift/Elsevier.Prog.AS.HighLift.vDam.02.pdf .  On the scale of misuse of technical terms by the stunt community, this is a very minor offense. 

The system in the F-4 was called BLC, Boundary Layer Control.. It worked OK..  but it also has some serious negatives..  The USN F-4's and the USAF F-4C's and F-4D's had it.. It was abandoned in the F-4E..
ALL AIRSPEED and NO HEADING is how most people plan their lives..   PICK a HEADING!.. And you eventually get to where you want to go!

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 04:51:32 PM »
What advantage do these style flaps offer? They seem rather complicated to execute.
Thanks in advance.
Happy New Year.
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline tom creasey

• 1st. Lieutenant
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 07:50:20 AM »
What advantage do these style flaps offer? They seem rather complicated to execute.
Thanks in advance.
Happy New Year.
Chris

The advantage is you have no mushing in the turns and less drag on the wing load when flaps move up or down. Your maneuvers are better performed. It is not really complicated once you build your first flap system. To me it is all in fun.
Tom
AMA 1073788

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 09:37:07 AM »
I know what you mean by all in fun, Tom. I like to build also.
Thanks for the response and Happy New Year.
Regards,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here