News:

• April 16, 2024, 03:03:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: photos?  (Read 3497 times)

Offline Bob Wiegand

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
photos?
« on: January 20, 2017, 12:37:08 AM »
All of you seasoned racers out there might think about show and tell for newcomers who may be interested but feel overwhelmed by the chatter I see on here.

I you want to increase the number of flyers in these events, pictures of planes with good descriptions might go a long way toward educating some new blood.  Heck they might even be interested enough to try it!

How about it?  I know I would like to see them, and maybe then discussions about strategy would make more sense.

Not a rant, just stirring the pot a little.  My two cents.   S?P

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: photos?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 06:10:49 AM »
Are you interested in racing or speed? "racers" and "strategy" makes me think you might be talking about racing, with multiple pilots and pit stops. If so, visit nclra.org, the web site of the National Control Line Racing Association. If you are indeed interested in speed, visit the North American Speed Society web site. clspeed.com.

Offline Bob Wiegand

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 08:39:10 AM »
Thanks for reply Bill.

I have been to the NCLRA site and it is great, but it doesn't use the same language that speed guys and racers use.  Have not been to the speed site because I did not know it was out there.

There are several speed events where Fox .35s are used (Thanks St. Louis guys for the video posted earlier).  At least one anyway, but I think that some racers, having gone "fast" might be interested in trying speed, but don't have the knowledge or friends they can ask for specifics.

I am not asking for speed secrets, but perhaps some insight into some of the different events like "Perky" and Fox racing  which seem to be events that would enter-able for non speed racing type folks. Every here bemoans the fact the speed is dying.  This might be a chance to do something about that.

Oh well, it was just a thought  Thanks anyway.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 09:15:36 AM »
I was never really involved in speed but was a member of NASS for years.  I believe Tom Wilk has a CD with all of the Speed Times issues on it.

Bill Bischoff did a great article on his Margaret June sport goodyear.  
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 09:54:31 AM »
have a look at Flying lines under the "speed" section
http://flyinglines.org/

there you will find many new speed events that were developed in the N.W. They include Sport Jet, F2D proto speed, C speed, and N.W. B proto speed. You will find a set of rules for each under "Rules"

Enjoy.

Ken

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 10:20:13 AM »
have a look at Flying lines under the "speed" section
http://flyinglines.org/

there you will find many new speed events that were developed in the N.W. They include Sport Jet, F2D proto speed, C speed, and N.W. B proto speed. You will find a set of rules for each under "Rules"

Enjoy.

Ken

So, any pictures on how to set up a Geezer Speed plane for two lines?  Cuz -- I wanna know.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 11:14:07 AM »
I don't have a lot of pics, but here's my sport jet speed entry. Been flying it a season and a half. Really nice Bolton kit. He has 7 kits ready now for sale.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 11:38:09 AM »
I don't have a lot of pics, but here's my sport jet speed entry. Been flying it a season and a half. Really nice Bolton kit. He has 7 kits ready now for sale.

Thanks Dane.  That's what I was going to do if I couldn't figure out anything else.  Is the bellcrank phenolic?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 11:55:25 AM »
Negative sir. Steel with little rotating buttons. Marty Higgs, speed hippie sells them

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 02:33:17 PM »
Negative sir. Steel with little rotating buttons. Marty Higgs, speed hippie sells them

Sell?  That implies buying, which means spending money in lieu of having fun in the shop.  Hmm.  Gotta think about that...

How do you get the lines through the leadout guide?
AMA 64232

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 03:02:58 PM »
Sell?  That implies buying, which means spending money in lieu of having fun in the shop.  Hmm.  Gotta think about that...

How do you get the lines through the leadout guide?

The tip guide just has two screws. Pull one and rotate it. I have two, and that's just the way everyone else did it. I'm a follower in that regard.

Surprisingly in speed, there's no rush to get the airplane ready....

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 03:07:54 PM »

I've noticed that.  It's like you guys are there to gossip all day, not get down to it.
AMA 64232

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 03:12:33 PM »
"speed is the slowest event in AMA" ~ Mike Hazel

I only use Fast Hippie speed parts. Would show my new Pink Lady for the Boris project, but lousy photo editor in my win 10 won't resize.

K

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 03:20:09 PM »
I know it's not the shortest road to winning, but half of the fun for me is fabricating as much of the aircraft as I can.
AMA 64232

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 03:36:01 PM »
Here is the D ship just out of the paint booth. The Torque unit is Fast Hippy as is the control horn and skid-o on the nose.

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 03:39:21 PM »
dang.....let's try it again. The airplane is a Pink Lady plan set from Partner Products.

Offline Bob Wiegand

• Ensign
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 03:53:24 PM »
The tip guide just has two screws. Pull one and rotate it. I have two, and that's just the way everyone else did it. I'm a follower in that regard.

Now that's funny.  And here all thought you guys were all serious and secretive.   LL~  Thanks for that!  Makes me feel more like participating.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 04:54:53 PM »

How big is the bellcrank?  2"?
AMA 64232

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 06:32:22 AM »
I left for work today at 4 instead of 330.... because of the rush I forgot to check for you. It might be smaller. The one going in my F40 pink lady is like 1.5"

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 11:36:35 AM »
I used a Perfect aluminum bellcrank drilled at 2 1/4.  Probably not the best but the pull test on a 19 ounce Slingshot isn't much and the controls are exposed so I can keep an eye out for any problems. The airplane only goes about 100 mph so the pull isn't much in flight.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 12:13:42 PM »
agreed, Perfect bellcranks are weak. If you can't find a Fox, make one that is beefy. (1 1/2- 2" in a more triangular shape) There are some steel ones made just for speed, but even these will bend ....like in a jet. The strongest I know of are Fast Hippie.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 12:17:19 PM »
Yep yep. Jets seem to be hard on bell cranks. My jet is heavy ( I think it's heavy.  31oz ). It's got a 1.75" steel bell crank.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2017, 12:24:19 PM »

Now that's funny.  And here all thought you guys were all serious and secretive.   LL~  Thanks for that!  Makes me feel more like participating.

As we get older, it takes us longer to remember the next bullet point, thereby slowing down our speech. Often, this is confused with being devisive. That is typically translated into us being secretive. We're just methodical.....  8)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here