News:

• March 29, 2024, 02:57:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vintage N number location  (Read 7120 times)

Jim Roselle

• Trade Count: (0)
Vintage N number location
« on: September 27, 2016, 09:00:22 PM »
I'm starting the finish on the Chambers R-1 I'm building for the "Tuscon" 1/2a scale contest. I can't find any photos showing the bottom of the wing. Would the N and race number be on the bottom of the wing as well?

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Vintage N number location
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 10:44:05 PM »
Yes.

Try to get your lettering correct. nice aircraft to model!  H^^

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 08:27:45 AM »
The race number on the lower wing is in question. It doesn't show in any photos I have been able to locate. The N number is most likely there, but no photos show the lower left wing. Also, there is a dash between the 5 and the Y in the N number. Unfortunately the plane had a very brief career, as did Mr. Chambers.

P.S. Notice that the size of the N number shown on your scale line drawing isn't correct. Trust the photos.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 08:53:00 AM »
The tail lettering was changed during the time the racer was at Cleveland. It appears that Chambers had to add bracing wires to the tail assembly and do a quick paint touch-up.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Jim Roselle

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 10:36:08 AM »
Thanks guys,

Bob, those photos are excellent. I've not seen them before. What publication are they from?

Jim

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 10:46:45 AM »
Thanks guys,

Bob, those photos are excellent. I've not seen them before. What publication are they from?

Jim

Aircraft of Air Racing's Golden Age Part II by Robert Hirsch and Ross Hirsch. It's a 2 volume slip case set with a lot of information. There are some minor glitches but overall well worth adding to your library. I believe the Hirsch family still has some available.

P.S. $40 + postage    https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0976196026/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1475081256&sr=1-1
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 12:27:28 PM »
Cool ship, nice book set, I ordered mine immediately. Thanks Bob.

Jim, typical and legal registration on civil US airplanes up until 1960 or so are small numbers on the tail and big numbers on the top right and bottom left. Once vintage airplanes were starting to become a movement in the country, the law was changed to allow 30 year old airplanes to use the old positioning instead of 12 inch profile numbers. The rules were later changed to allow any airplane 2 inch profile numbers.

Racing planes turned left usually so the racing number was positioned on the bottom of the right wing but not always. In the post war Bendix some years a 6 foot number on the bottom oriented top at leading edge was required so observers could allegedly site the numbers as they progressed past certain city checkpoints. During the 70's Mojave hosted right turning races so some airplanes reversed their number positions from one race to the other. When I raced at Reno I only had 36 inch numbers on the sides of the airplane and none on the wings. I've also helped people change their number colors, fonts and positioning during the event because the contest committee required it owing to timing and scoring not being able to read it.

Photos are the best source and luckily our rules consider both for documentation.

Chris...

Jim Roselle

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 01:44:34 AM »
Just about there. I decided I didn't want to do ink lines, every line on the 3-view is represented by a contour on the model.

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 06:04:47 AM »
Slick! Well done.

Just curious, what is the wing area and weight so far?
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 06:50:03 PM »
Looks great, Jim.
Chris...

Jim Roselle

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 06:38:49 AM »

Just curious, what is the wing area and weight so far?

As it sits now, sans tank and controls, 10.3oz.  74 square inches. Should be interesting.

Jim

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 02:36:57 PM »
Outstanding!   H^^
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Jim Roselle

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 12:57:38 PM »
Here's video of today's test flight. I need to plumb a uniflow tank snd it should be good to go.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 01:17:18 PM by Jim Roselle »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 04:32:23 PM »
Looks good in the air and I like the 40 point landing. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here