News:

• April 23, 2024, 12:13:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: carved scale models  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
carved scale models
« on: June 16, 2016, 03:30:09 PM »

I remember as a youngster 8-9 yrs old) some solid wooden WW  2 models that had templates to carve the fuse and other parts correctl, I don't remember the mfg's but Strombecker was probably one of them.

Any body else    willing to "age" themselves with these memories???
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: carved scale models
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 10:01:58 PM »
Hi, Gil -

Sounds like Hawk models.  Being of balsa, they used templates...needed carving & shaping.  The StromBecker kits were of white pine and already shaped for the most part....just needed clean-up & some sanding.

Actually, there were any number of solids back then, most of which required templates & carving, but the HAWK name stands out in my mind for some reason (mostly negative, ha-ha).
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 11:22:38 PM »
I don't remember the kit names, but all during WWII, I built many of them as part of my scout career (Cub, and Boy Scout).   They were all pine, and only partly shaped, but not rounded in any way.

We were encouraged to follow the shapes carefully and to paint them all flat black.  They were then given to the local Civil Defense Headquarters to be used to train US Army Air Corps cadets in aircraft recognition.

We were also encouraged to concentrate on several Japanese types, both fighters and bombers, and also Mustangs and Spitfires.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 10:01:57 AM »
There were a lot of companies . here is a good site on the topic http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 06:09:28 PM »
Wow! Many mfrs. is right! I found my F86 Sabre kit there, I built it in '52. (maybe '51)
Ace Whitman had a slew of solid body race cars! Love those...Now I can build some from plans.
Miller front wheel drive car, Offenhauser pavement car, 'Privateer Special' Dirt track car.

Thanks for posting!

Offline Ed Carlaw

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 08:00:09 PM »
Some of the ones that come to mind, and some of these I still have kits of, Ray Models with the Ray-Rings, Enterprise, Consolidated, and Cavacraft. Some were challenging and some were just fun builds. Ed.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here