News:

• April 19, 2024, 03:58:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: C124 Globemaster  (Read 5949 times)

Offline Steven Kientz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
C124 Globemaster
« on: July 20, 2016, 08:08:49 PM »
The Indy Sportliners fly in Pioneer Park in Mooresville, Indiana. One of the Park board members was at the field tonite with a picture on his phone. His father owned a hobby shop in Pinellas Park, Fla. late  50's early 60's. The  picture(magazine cover) was of the son and a female model holding a C-124. We are trying to find out what magazine  it was, when and if someone could scan the cover and article(if there is one). He said the C-124, along with a TWA Constellation and B-36(not completed) made the trip to Mooresville from Florida. they were left in a garage during a move.
Thanks in advance
Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
Re: C124 Globemaster
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 05:26:50 AM »
I was sent a copy of the picture. The man's  last name was Taylor.
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 07:34:24 AM »
No laser cutting of wood back then, or CAD.

Outstanding!

Thanks for the photo.

Got a photo of the Connie?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 08:30:03 AM »
Nope, just the C-124.
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 04:22:31 PM »
Forget the C-124.  Find the girl in the pitcher.
Paul Smith

Offline Gary Alspaugh

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 06:18:28 PM »
Seeing that was somewhere around 1960 I'm not sure I would want to find her.

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 04:44:25 AM »
                 Dan Banjok has the c-124 sitting currently in clear. It's in need of a lot of work to get it completed. He had asked me if I was interested in finishing the model. Those models are truly amazing. The size and the cool factor is very pleasing. Dan has four older OS .25's slated for the nacelles. I would really like to see this in the air. While these models do really nothing more than fly round and round, I love to watch this stuff fly and land. I can only imagine what the Connie must be like. I believe it was Larry Richards who had one on his site. Ken

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 06:30:01 AM »
                 Dan Banjok has the c-124 sitting currently in clear. It's in need of a lot of work to get it completed. He had asked me if I was interested in finishing the model. Those models are truly amazing. The size and the cool factor is very pleasing. Dan has four older OS .25's slated for the nacelles. I would really like to see this in the air. While these models do really nothing more than fly round and round, I love to watch this stuff fly and land. I can only imagine what the Connie must be like. I believe it was Larry Richards who had one on his site. Ken

Ken,

I wouldn't mind seeing a set of plans that someone used to build a Connie. Any that you know of?

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 09:19:07 AM »
I was talking with Ed Mason at the Nats this year and he said his C-124,Connie,ect were built from kits that he copied the parts from.He may have the plans and templates from all of his beautiful ships.Unfortunately I don't have his contact info.
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 10:12:56 AM »
I was talking with Ed Mason at the Nats this year and he said his C-124,Connie,ect were built from kits that he copied the parts from.He may have the plans and templates from all of his beautiful ships.Unfortunately I don't have his contact info.

Jeff,

OK. The people that ran the Nats should have his contact info. Plus, there has to be someone in the forum with his info?

What was the size of his Connie? His my well be larger than what I have interest in?

I don't think big any more.

Charles

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 01:46:28 PM »
Charles,The Connie has 4 OS 25's on it and is quite large.There are a couple pics in the scale thread about"Large scale models at Brodak".Allen Goff was the CD or try Fred.They may be of help with contact info.Trax
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 07:19:42 AM »
Charles,The Connie has 4 OS 25's on it and is quite large.There are a couple pics in the scale thread about"Large scale models at Brodak".Allen Goff was the CD or try Fred.They may be of help with contact info.Trax

Jeff,

Thanks for thr reply.

Four 25's is a bunch of engines, so the Connie must be bigger than my interest. I'd be more interested in 15's max and that's stretching it.

Plans can be scaled down.

I'd still like to see what was used as plans for that Connie?

I'll see what shows up with replies before I contact anyone.

Allen is in here from time to time.

Charles

Offline 11290

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 10:52:03 PM »
Jeff,

Thanks for thr reply.

Four 25's is a bunch of engines, so the Connie must be bigger than my interest. I'd be more interested in 15's max and that's stretching it.

Plans can be scaled down.

I'd still like to see what was used as plans for that Connie?

I'll see what shows up with replies before I contact anyone.

Allen is in here from time to time.

Charles

61" span Lockheed Super Constellation plans on OuterZone.  Shows as an electric RC or slope soaring so would likely have to have some structural mod's for CL I would think.  Still a decent set of plans.  Thought it had an abundance of dihedral but after looking at 3 views of the 1:1 scale, might be fairly accurate.
Evansville, IN & Orlando, FL

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 11:52:12 AM »
61" span Lockheed Super Constellation plans on OuterZone.  Shows as an electric RC or slope soaring so would likely have to have some structural mod's for CL I would think.  Still a decent set of plans.  Thought it had an abundance of dihedral but after looking at 3 views of the 1:1 scale, might be fairly accurate.

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate that lead, I went there and typed in Super Constellation but the search came up empty.

Sometimes, with accurate outlines of an aircraft, it's easier to draw the construction from scratch rather than draw over plan lines you won't be using.

I would consider building a Connie, I had a plastic kit as a kid, so the interest is there. Conversations with those that have actually built one is a good start, but that doesn't always happen. Buying one from someone is a really good start, but that doesn't always happen either, but it's a thought.

Anyone tired of their Connie? Anyone got a tired Connie that needs a retro?

Having four engines of the required size, in my posession, would be an asset.

Knowing the required engine size is a good beginning.  LL~

I'm guessing .09 to .15. NIB times four.

I guess if you wanted a stunt-Connie, you could pump that up a bit.  ;D

I don't know what the length would be at 61" in span but the length is a factor also. Wing would have to be removable because I have limited space and a fake SUV, a Tucson.

I would also have to sell stuff to finance a Connie project. Anyone want to buy stuff?

The Connie is a great aircraft to model, plenty of schemes to choose from.

Charles

Offline Jim Dincau

• Lieutenant
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time.

Offline 11290

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 12:47:07 PM »
Jim beat me to it.
Evansville, IN & Orlando, FL

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 01:13:08 PM »
Thank you guys, but...

I downloaded the plan and a PDF file opened.

For some reason I couldn't save it because the "save as" wasn't active. Windows XP?

All I could do is print out two sheets, 8.5 x 11.

Plans aren't bad and there is enough info for a start. Having them full size would be much better.

ANYBODY GOT A SET OF CONNIE PLANS FULL SIZE!  LL~

Like I don't have enough going already.

Thanks again.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 02:38:00 PM »
I took a few minutes to draw this up.

Not suitable to use as plans because I scanned the image in a low resolution and the line art was so thin that some of it didn't show up with the scan. So the accuracy isn't really all that correct but close. I wanted a small file.

I don't really need this drawing to build from, but it can be used to scale the model for span, length, tire size and determining areas, moments and wing loading. Plus, the placement of the bellcrank, leadouts and control HDWE and other stuff.

What you see is in my drawing program, spans 60" and the length is 59". Nacelle width is 3.18 and the prop size at this scale would be 7.5".

Everything is give and take on measurements, but they are really close.

A start, now all I need is a great set of plans.

I'm not drawing a Connie from scratch.

Charles

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 03:18:23 PM »
Charles,
 I found a source  for Super Connie plans and laser cut parts. us.trapletshop.com. Plans  and wood  pack $262. 88" ws elec powered.
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 04:16:20 PM »
Charles,
 I found a source  for Super Connie plans and laser cut parts. us.trapletshop.com. Plans  and wood  pack $262. 88" ws elec powered.

Steven,

That monster is 88" in span, it'll pull me out of the circle, I weigh only 165 lbs.  n~

I'm thinking 60" to 72" max. Cost is an issue. Small engines and less of everything.

Here's the link for anyone interested.

http://us.trapletshop.com/copy-of-lockheed-super-constellation

Thanks for the lead.

Charles

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 07:25:16 PM »
The C-124 that Ed Flies has the OS-25's for power and it needs it because it the wing is very small for the size of the model, and has to fly fast. If I was building the C-124 I would put it on a diet with lighter wood to get the weight down. Very few parts need to be plywood.

The Connie that Ed flies was built from a Dare kit that he got from Brodak, but I can't find it on this website. You might have to call Brodak and find where it is hiding. The connie flies very well  and again uses the 25's for power.

Remember you can put in an adjustable line guide to move the lines forward to reduce the line tension.

Send me an e-mail at clscale7@gmail.com to request Ed's contact information

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2016, 02:00:19 PM »
Steven,

That monster is 88" in span, it'll pull me out of the circle, I weigh only 165 lbs.  n~

I'm thinking 60" to 72" max. Cost is an issue. Small engines and less of everything.

Hate to disagree with you but I think you may be overestimating it or underestimating yourself!  As you know, I've completed and successfully flown my 8.17 pound, 83" wingspan KYO B-29 replica of "Doc".  I'm using 4 ea throttle controlled, OS MAX .25 r/c's for power and at full throttle, yes, it pulls but it's no worse that a .60 stunt ship on a pipe!  Actually, I think it's rather moderate and I'm a sort'a skinny 67 year old pilot wannabe who fights gravity on a fairly regular basis!! 

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 05:39:38 AM »
Flying Large CL scale models requires trimming to reduce the line tension.

The #1 reason for high line tension is speed for any model, since velocity is squared the tension climbs quickly. The typical CL scale model will do a 7-9 sec lap time, I don't fly with a 5.5 sec lap time like they do in Stunt.

Weight is proportional. I have flown an 18 lb 1/4 scale model (Morrisey Bravo) with a .91 and a 87" span. The 13.5 lb B-29 that I fly has a 96" span and it pulls around 40 lbs during flight. But I also don't fly it very fast, maybe a 9 second lap time if I am going fast. Grant flew his 1/3 scale Spacewalker with a 103" span and it came in at 19 lbs.

Push the line guide forward to reduce the line tension and build light as possible. If you put the leadouts thru the wing don't put the leadouts where the plans tell you to without the ability to move them around. I put 2-3 degrees of line rake for the starting point and move the line guide until the tension becomes reasonable.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 05:51:22 AM »
Hate to disagree with you but I think you may be overestimating it or underestimating yourself!  As you know, I've completed and successfully flown my 8.17 pound, 83" wingspan KYO B-29 replica of "Doc".  I'm using 4 ea throttle controlled, OS MAX .25 r/c's for power and at full throttle, yes, it pulls but it's no worse that a .60 stunt ship on a pipe!  Actually, I think it's rather moderate and I'm a sort'a skinny 67 year old pilot wannabe who fights gravity on a fairly regular basis!! 

Jim,
I was trying to be funny.

My interest is a smaller model as I mentioned, I have limited space where I live. Besides, my large model building days are long gone along with my interest in R/C.

Your B-29 is really a nice looking model.  H^^

I guess scale models are getting bigger and heavier? Easier to do detailing on larger models.

I do have a few 80.5" span Staudachers framed but still NIB, two actually, that could be converted to CL and they are scale models if you are interested? I'd love to get rid of these I could use the money and I have absolutely no use for the models.

Plenty of schemes to choose from also.

Charles

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 07:09:28 AM »
Piston engines tend to drop off the market when a single big production run comes to an end.  If you are serious about a four engine project, buy six engines when they go on sale.  That way you will have spares in hand.  It's likely that the engine will go off the market before you get the plane done.

Paul Smith

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2016, 10:07:48 AM »

Jim,
I was trying to be funny. ....  I do have a few 80.5" span Staudachers framed but still NIB, two actually, that could be converted to CL and they are scale models if you are interested? I'd love to get rid of these I could use the money and I have absolutely no use for the models.
Charles

No problem ;D!  I figured you were just joking considering the incredible skill with which you build.  Yes, the Staudachers look like they would be wonderful conversions projects  :) and I'd love to try my hand but your offer uses a word I seldom see ???, understand ??? or get to hold  ?? :'( .... money  :o!!  LL~ LL~

Offline Gary Alspaugh

• New Pilot
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2016, 02:58:12 PM »
I received the magazine today with the C-124 on the cover. It was the March 1960 issue of American Modeler. The builder was Guy Taylor who was the president of the Gulf Hawks club of St. Petersburg FL. The model weighed 13.5 pounds and was powered by two Fox 25's and two 19's. It pulled about 80 pounds on the lines and flew around 65 mph. It had four individual tanks and a one-pint auxiliary fuselage tank. The big tank is used during testing and tuning then turned off during flight. Guy managed the "Fun Shop" in St. Pete. It took him about 12 months to complete the model. Nice to finally find out the details. Our club is going to present the magazine to his son who is a park board member that has been a supporter of our club flying in the park in Mooresville IN.  Gary Alspaugh.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2016, 06:22:18 AM »
I received the magazine today with the C-124 on the cover. It was the March 1960 issue of American Modeler. The builder was Guy Taylor who was the president of the Gulf Hawks club of St. Petersburg FL. The model weighed 13.5 pounds and was powered by two Fox 25's and two 19's. It pulled about 80 pounds on the lines and flew around 65 mph. It had four individual tanks and a one-pint auxiliary fuselage tank. The big tank is used during testing and tuning then turned off during flight. Guy managed the "Fun Shop" in St. Pete. It took him about 12 months to complete the model. Nice to finally find out the details. Our club is going to present the magazine to his son who is a park board member that has been a supporter of our club flying in the park in Mooresville IN.  Gary Alspaugh.

THAT is a great find, and will surely help in your on-going relationship building with the Park board - WELL DONE sir!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2016, 11:05:53 AM »
This airplane looks like a real challenge for CL due to the huge body and thin little wings.

I noticed some wing failures on the 124 at The Brodak and The Nats. 
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here