News:

• April 19, 2024, 02:49:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spanner & Piddlefoot .  (Read 25780 times)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Spanner & Piddlefoot .
« on: August 07, 2015, 09:51:17 PM »
Well . . . ; its a Ginny , ( here ) and Miss Dara ( next ) actually .  :-\

Super Tigre 15 and Eta 15 .

Wings are 1/4 & Fuse is 1/2 .Bout the 6th Ginny & third Miss Dara ive built , or will be the b3rd & first ! of them Ive Flown .
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 10:10:36 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: Spanner & Piddlefoot .
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 09:53:41 PM »
Bit of a ' Dont Panic ' , as theres a meeting next weekend , so three guessses .

If anyone can tell me how to vacum bag fibreglass a wing in two minutes for tuppace with no fibreglass & no vacume Id be pleased to know  :P
Will likely use the old Aryldite ( on hot , scraped out thin ) over tissue finish , coloured tissue numbers & trim . As its all ive got .

Finally replaced the drill presses last week , so can drill a few holes in things , which'll help .

Just for the old ' diesel slow Goodyear ' here in Aus . Much to Do , but airframes were only about 10 hours - so press on regardless . H^^

« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 10:15:45 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 05:34:50 PM »
1/4" is too thin for the wing, use 3/8" and carve a nice airfoil.

You can paint 1/2oz fiberglass on with superpoxy after you fill the wood.

MM

Online qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 07:17:14 PM »
Bit of a ' Dont Panic ' , as theres a meeting next weekend , so three guessses .

If anyone can tell me how to vacum bag fibreglass a wing in two minutes for tuppace with no fibreglass & no vacume Id be pleased to know  :P
Will likely use the old Aryldite ( on hot , scraped out thin ) over tissue finish , coloured tissue numbers & trim . As its all ive got .

Finally replaced the drill presses last week , so can drill a few holes in things , which'll help .

Just for the old ' diesel slow Goodyear ' here in Aus . Much to Do , but airframes were only about 10 hours - so press on regardless . H^^

Good work Matt, for an excellent article on Vacuum Bagging solid wings see: http://www.controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/vbone.php

Regrettably it's not easily organised six days before the competition. I'd go with the Araldite epoxy spread over the tissue.

I've just clear coated our new L'll Quickie for the same event. I find that 1/4" wings are just fine for Diesel Goodyear which has a speed limit of 27 sec/10 laps anyway.

Pics to follow.

Ray
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 10:03:38 PM by qaz049 »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 11:05:14 PM »
Cheers ,

5 hours  >:(with plane  , sanding block , 60 Wt.  :o , 80 & 100 , the Wings are shaped Fuse's just the rear top .
Two thick coats of Sig Nitrate . The Ginnys 165 grammes , wots shown .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 11:06:07 PM »
The Miss Dara is 170 odd  grammes .

The Second Ginny ran the 1/4 wing , with a tweaked G-15 Goodyear , one of the early ones .
Taipan Black 7 x 6 itd accelerate for three laps ( about 20 Oz. Id guess ) , then settle in for
another three to about 22.000 where itd start to nibble its slipsteam and climb up it to
about 23500 . IN STILL AIR .Thats at 60 Ft of .015 single strand . About 2.2 a lap .

Then a piece of the big end would go through the transfer
and chew up EVERYTHING , as it had been used for combat .
Full tit downhill to a dead stop . Instantaeneous . At 20.000 plus , will do that to a conrod .  :(

Trying to do a Loop , it'd do the Seagull act . The tips would stay in the groove and frighten the pilot .
Releasing up , the tips'd stay in the groove , and the fuse would go up and down a few times ,
This'd put the motor off song . The reduced airspeed Itd then Do A Loop .  ;D or half one ,
and tear around inverted on a full tank , if you put the fuel tube outside the shut off .
First few goes it'd shut off - though we'd tried it before itd gone full speed , like in a lap or so from release .

The Taranaki crowd bludged it and threw in a G 20  D . and reported it was aerobatic .  >:D :P

I prefer the Stocton Jehlic big dual elevator set up , and It had about 45 Degrees up & down .
On a Two Inch racing handle you only got about 20 degrees , which was enough to stop it inside a lap , easy .
Fwd. Wheel for our grass .

« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 11:25:52 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 11:42:54 PM »
1/4" is too thin for the wing, use 3/8" and carve a nice airfoil.

You can paint 1/2oz fiberglass on with superpoxy after you fill the wood.

MM

Cheers , Im Doing a Shoestring 74 , for the OS 21 M for open here , so I'll have to fly it in RAT , whichll put to thick a line on it . >:(
The 21 Mount pattern fits the Uctam 15 D , OS 25 FSR , G21  :)  Maybe the H29R OS , almost . ETC .  >:D so maybe it'll work .

N.Z. has OPEN ( 3.5 cc Good Year ) but here in Aus. its .15 .

Ive got a bit of the Glass Clooth , will be a First Time .  :-\ :-[:o .
Dont think they have the superpoxy here , so intend to try EPIGLASS .
This is a Marine Product . The Paters Boats were Epiglass Finished .
Used AEROLITE structurally , though Alf Pinkers 40 Ft. Dual 350 Chev offshore  race boat / cruiser used Aryldite .
Dozens of One Gallon CANS of it .  LL~
Kim Webys Chinese Gooseberry ( Kiwi Fruit ! ) Aeotearoa Teal Green & White suckers finshed with Epiglass two pack paint .
Reconed it took days to rub back , as its fairly hard .Maybe the Shoestrig'll get this ,I want to use the Gulf Oil Orange & Blue on that .

Wondering About using Carbon Vail on that , as potentially itd should go to fast to do loops !
Ive used good 5/16 wood for that wing , will taper it to 3/16 at the tips . ( theseare 1/4 all thru ) .
Have to find some Carbon Monofillament , so ' a trip to town ' is in the pipeline for supplies .

Ive Used the Hustead & Roy ' SPEED ' airfoil , as it seems to go o.k.  ;)

Online qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 03:01:25 AM »
Nice work Matt.

Here's a few pics of our new L'll Quickie, not quite finished yet but will be for Sunday. Needs a shutoff, pushrod etc. Tank, fuel valve etc are already made.

Power is a shiny new Parra T-3, a Rothwell R-250 clone.

Turns an APC 7x6 at low 17K on the bench so it's not as "hot" as your ST G15.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 05:05:14 AM by qaz049 »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 11:00:59 PM »
My Fast G-15 is 50 Ft. Down in the Mangawhai Tip . ( note for horders & archeoligists .  ;) )

running a RVD in the Ginny or a G20G with a Radu Head . ETA 15 for the Dara . so don't expect anything to exciting .
Ive put this on so other mugs can elicit the spirit of improviseation & press on Rewardless .
Often Solutions Jump Out as you progress - as necessary. One tends to get mentally bogged down in a mired of concepts .
' Pull your Finger out ' as the R.A.F. opined - and youre on youre way .

Got some fresh Aryldite from the building supplies . Now $ 61 for 200 Mls. Was $ 20 in N.Z. in 96 .  ???
Raided there SKIP . a pile of 5 & 6 in dressed short planks , a few rough sawn , and a thick 2 x 10 with a brokwen corner ,
For HITTING THINGS on . a Timber Anvill even . this is all Dunage / Scrap .

pressing on .The Nuts .

Ive used 2mm steel ( from the adjacent debri there  :P :-[) as Ive Found the 1.6 gutter Iron bends & the nuts misalign when overwound .
The soldering Iron didn't blow up . Aryldited to 1 / 16 lite ply doublers .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 11:03:56 PM »
The Plan .

This Ive scribbled 96  :-\ on . possible . scaled from Jim Kloth aeromuddler Article . might post photos of that.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 11:05:18 PM »
Plan 'B' .

this dates from 75 or 6 , from ' Galaxie Hobbie Supplies ' who bludged it off me . Must Copie & return to young Richard .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 11:06:29 PM »
etc

WELL , Just AS WELL ,

the wings were stood on end in buckets overnight .
The Highly Thinned DARA T.E. got a bit Nautical .  :(( all Awavey ) .
So a quite panic resulted on recommencing , and the Dunnage was Sawn & Engaged - along with CLAMPS & suchlike & a bit of paper so the wing dosnt end up two inches Thick.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 11:08:03 PM »
& C.

Did a quick clamp first on the Dara , And it held STRAIGHT when I had evolved the more refined assembly .

Wouldve been up the creek without those boards- so don't kick providence in the teeth .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 11:59:21 PM »
My perseption is its ' Profile SCALE Racing . 'out for a race . WaHoo etc . Not Out to Win .
If nobody entered the New York ( etc ) Marathon unless the thought theyed win , it woudnt be much or a marathon .

unfortunately with the Time sedule , at the moment ', it wont be much of a scale paint scheme , etc . But at least it SHOULD GO . We Hope .
we'll know when it does , as it'll be going .  VD~

Going to let the wings harden up in the clamps overnight , thatll put things back , but its not as if theres not other things need doing .
Tanks & Controls to make , undercarrage & mounts etc .

Cant afford the fancey paint ( priorities at the moment ). Its a bit of a Home Built . but should be seaworthy and ship shape . Aeronautically .

Airmanship
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airmanship

AND , havnt weighed the Wings Uncovered or covered . But by a process of calculus & deduction ( weigh the fuselages & deduct ! ) ,
we calculte they were 75 Grames ea. , near enough . in the pics earlyer . So i shall endevour to see what weight the finish at this stage
has added.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 04:49:47 PM »
Hope she gets finished and does what you want her to do.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 09:13:21 PM »
Hope she gets finished and does what you want her to do.

No Worries John . I just found a extra day . Sundays on Sunday , Not Saturday .Just as well , too . been burning the midnight oil .
the scorches sanded off .

Naked Flame and Doped Balsa DONT mix . Always have a bucket or water & a Fire Extinguisher in your aeroplane workshop .
You can put you fingers in it if you burn them , too .  LL~ S?P H^^

Well , Friday Lunchtime picture .

Had light snow 7 pm Wednesday , Nice day today , wont metion hailstorms , fires & pestilance .  :D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:48:41 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 09:17:07 PM »
She's all Tissue / epoxy coated , bar tailplane & elevators ,

Ram Air C'Case cooling & Cold Air Induction . can tape em up and see if theres a iota of differance .

passes the time , anyway . And the cheek cowl can earn its living .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 09:21:39 PM »
The ginnys On Hold for the moment . WHO said they take Ten Hours . knactually , Bar Undoped Airframe was , back in the schooldays .

Finishing and knick knacks are extra .  >:(

few pictures of pre last two pic progress , before the Hail & Snow .

Tread ( press Lightly . can gouge but timbers usually got a ' favourable direction ' , particularly with Planes ( flat long spokeshave things )
Now I realise I have No spokeshave .  >:(

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:50:40 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 09:26:50 PM »
a

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 09:31:05 PM »
will chuck these on as in centuries to come , if someones wondering what to do with a bit of Balsa . It might give em a few clues .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 09:32:44 PM »
c

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 09:34:57 PM »
d

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 09:36:37 PM »
e

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2015, 09:40:14 PM »
Just confirmed racings SUNDAY not Saturday . :P Will be able to FINISH the Dara slightly better , better finish the Ginny a good deal better ,
for ' another day ' then theres the Shoestring & maybe a Swee Pee / skybaby , and a Pitts thingo . perhaps .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2015, 09:41:58 PM »
x

;D

Till Post Sunday then ,  H^^ D>K D>K D>K D>K :P ;)

Online qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2015, 02:37:28 AM »

Matt,

nice to see it nearly finished, but do you have a diesel? It is called Diesel Goodyear after all.

Nice bright sunny days here on the coast. I spent the afternoon making up new lines, wiring up the cutoff etc.

The forecast is for showers on Sunday. After lunch hopefully.

:-)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2015, 11:52:57 PM »
Well .This is after the second race & a dogfight !. as I thought for a moment . U/C out and youll notice our new single bladed prop . one ' bullet hole ' ( 1/8 in. ) in the outer wing ,
slight gouge underneath the fuse .
the Aryldite / tissue finish ( reinforcing ) held up well . freebees Inc. a can of silver lacquer . that & the Black I have look like itll be a N.Z. colour scheme .  Temporary N.ers on it. There .

Looks Like RAY didn't get there . a fair ? turnout. 1/2 a dozen teams . We came 2nd . . . . last . on Heat Times . 7.49 I think . Had about three test hops ; roped Geoff potter into pilotage
which he said He enjoyed , and reported it Grooves  and behaves , bar wheels a little aft and a bit light on takeoff . Just as well I threw 10 grammes of lead in the outer tip < so Wt.s are - 10g.

Problems were a harsh Vibration - likely from the drilled prop - taipan 7x6 Glass nylon . and Comp backing off . So motor swap saw prop fouling . Phil Pool donated a APC 7x5  ( mono blade there  :-[)
test run and we were underway into the call   for the race . First saw foul starts and restarts ,and a bit off exercise chasing the landings ,   then the front tank mount parted . Lacking rubber bands
luckily a strip torn off the flannel rag had it airborne through to the finish @ 7.49 .  :( LL~

Next Race with the hot motor & a good start things looked good until at lap. 20 Geoff took on Steve in a Dogfight , for a few loops and a belly landing .  :o
a ' click ' He'd felt Earlier proved to be the pushrod washer . The notch & copper wire / washer retainer didn't . Rear Horn washer had departed too . . .
Mustve been the brain fade in the shed .
Bit of a gouge under & a 1/8 ( bullet  LL~) hole in the wing ( from the Landing Gear Wire - which tore out ) means she's in for paint & prep. Next . We Wont Rush This .

Was on the pace ( 27 sec. for Ten Laps ) straight off - and handled well . Still havnt been on the handle on one . Loops were sub. 45 degree , so looks like itd troop around on 60s for clowning .
Thought the low aspect ratio would get it mushing about . Glide wasn't marvellous .Over a lap out at shut off gets it short of the pitman .
 though I figure the 75cc tanks half the drag of the aeroplane . Rebateing it on any ' next ' ones if that big .

Not a Total Disaster , give it 2 / 10 . Geoffs pleased with the flight , so it'll do me. Still in 99/100 piece & cleaned , will ruback and spray a 21st century Black with Silver Kiwi colours Paint Job ,
And tidy up a few details . A bolt   through the belcrank arm to a 16G pushrod will sort that . Told Diesels Don't Tolerate soldered pushrod fixings . Was 3/32 wire . a bit heavy .

No harm done , but a ' shake down ' rather than a 10000 Pt.  effort , so far . Nice warm sunny day in the thriveing metropolous , will stall the return to the Siberian Climate . & see the seaside .
Largest There .

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 12:32:01 AM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2015, 11:56:59 PM »
A few of the competition .  . Finished (? still needs paint )
at 12;30 last night  , off at 1;30 60 mile trip , 3;am arrival , up at 7. the crowds in at 9;00 .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2015, 11:59:20 PM »
another.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2015, 12:00:41 AM »
Think these next, are 1st thru 3rd .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2015, 12:02:59 AM »
etc

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2015, 12:03:56 AM »
 so on .

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2015, 04:07:22 PM »
Wellyou are getting there.  At least you tried.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2015, 07:33:21 PM »
Wellyou are getting there.  At least you tried.

I think I asked for it . One needs to be carefull what one asks for !

Been Saying , ' need to do a few loops or a few laps of inverted , to liven it up ' , for some time !
We got that .  %^@

My handle got a few of the nervous too . She did one big loop to the top of the circle over to my right , then a
moderate and a sub schedule  :## over port , skidding on the bottom .

Geoff asked " Does the SHUT OFF work of the Elevator Horn " . mustve been tryn to hit the cut during the drama .
Got them on their toes and they enyoyed the ' action ' as it didn't lead to tears or a brawl .

The Cut Off was at 25 Deg. Down . with the ' up - down - up ' 7 the biggish elevators I think we lost 30 mph
hitting the cut off . Was thinking it was the big tank kicking the nose up , but the interruption in the momentum
likely throws it out of whack . So the glide has to ' start ' rather than being a continuation of the trip.

will set it on 10 or 15 Deg in future .

Id used less epoxy on the center ply lamination with the leg , so it wouldn't take the rest out , if it went .
Will have to set it up with a few bolts , as originally intended , couldn't figure If I was making it detachable ( bolted )
at the centre or on the cheek. As Id already notched the center ( fuse ) that was where it went .

Found a 1/2 x 3/6 carbon tube rectangular North Sails yacht Sail Batten , should be a good Fuse reinforcing strip , I should say.
for the Shoestring . Will gettum the ones building done. If I start any more , we'll never get the ones underway done .

Matt.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 06:23:18 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2015, 06:30:32 PM »
You can see where it tore out , and gouged it further back . Then where it  mustve hit . Bellied in in the bottom of a loop , sans pushrod - Trailing giving various elevator settings .

The Arylidite Epoxied H'wt. tissue maybe what held the show together .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2015, 06:35:33 PM »
An inspie ational  :-\ one of the moring sunshine through the C'case & carb ducts . Will tape over & report on effects .
Figureing my big outboard tank ( 75 cc ) & oversize filler equal Ea. other out , so not getting a richer ground setting .
Will do a 30 cc tank , maybe tucked between engine & wing . Have to get a few fancy filler valves etc ,

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2016, 06:55:21 PM »
Current state of the play . Id done the T.E. ' knife edge ' and it'd go all wobbly . So replaced with 5 x 1.5 bass .
The cut through the fuse went quite clean , Decided to leave as ' one length ' ( no join ) . Aryldide wiped &
masking tape over while it set seems to have it reasonably faired in . Have block sanded prior to epoxy,
Id pva'd it on , first . Your Rustoleum Primer , at this stage .
Gotta do a decent , removeable, undercarrage mount . Got some 3/16 mag alloy from choped Merc. engine covers
for the retaining plate . Pushrod & tank to do yet . Bolt thru the bellcrank now , loop & bush in pushrod end .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2016, 06:56:54 PM »
Top . Is a ETA Elite mk II in it there .

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2016, 09:51:46 AM »
I had one of the Eta's with Steve Helmick when we were kids.....we never finished the team racer but we had the engine!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here