News:

• April 24, 2024, 05:42:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ringmaster Racing  (Read 1589 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Ringmaster Racing
« on: October 03, 2016, 11:24:41 AM »
Just finished reading the latest issue of Torque Roll.   Mention was mentioned about using them for racing which the Wichihawks allowed years ago when they came up with the Shoestring Racing.  Of course the person had to come up with a Shoestring if he/she wanted to keep racing the class.   But through the years they allowed the other Goldberg kits to compete.   The problem I had was getting the Fox 1 ounce tank they required.  Now the event is now what was started.   I was flying my Ringmaster this weekend with the new Fox .25BB.  Finally settled on the APC 9-4 prop trying to tame it down for stunting the Ringmaster.  Didn't have some one to time me but I think it was flying faster than my Shoestring and was not really leaned out for racing.  I stated something about grass roots racing using the Ringmaster and thought I was going to be asked to leave.  Since Topeka no longer has a paved circle we can't fly our racing planes other than the Goldberg & Ringmaster planes. 

By the way I did get the Ring back to the pit area a few times.  No shut off and only 40 cc's of fuel.   If speeds were kept down I can make a race with three up.   Much over 65 mph I start having trouble.  But, yes it is racing and we should go as fast as possible, but with the decline of participants I think a one prop rule should be used as well as non racing engines.  Also they should be stock.  Ebay is loaded at times with .25 size engines.   Also using the Ringmaster Old Time pattern can be flown with a change I fuel tank and by passing the fuel shut which I also believe should be required for racing.  Just my thoughts from an old aging modeler that still likes racing.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
Re: Ringmaster Racing
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 02:44:54 PM »
Doc,

The O.S. 25LA with stock muffler puts the speed of a Sport Racer right where you want it. Plus keeps the noise down quite acceptably.
This combo works super...but I've noted that there is still is no interest in racing this in the Pacific Northwest... ???

Cheers, Paul

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 03:19:14 PM »
Brodak allows the three Goldbergs + Flite Streak & Lightning Streak.

It wouldn't hurt to add the Ringmaster. 

With 3 Brodak "Foxbergs" and 5 LA-25 Sport Racers in hand, I'm not motivated to jump on a new class that does pretty much the same thing.
Paul Smith

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 03:27:16 PM »
didn't you lose the bet to Louie regarding the muffled 25? I do believe that was in the NW. Tungberg was on the losing end of all that when the fox .35 had an extra pit and was beaten by the la .25....with muffler no less.
Paul is right though, not too much interest in racing.....geezers a-plenty though, with much-o bench racing-o.

K

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here