News:

• April 25, 2024, 03:34:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Walter Umland Kits - Stiletto 660  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Walter Umland Kits - Stiletto 660
« on: March 25, 2010, 02:50:01 PM »
I've heard some people call kits "too good to build".

Well, I found one that's too good not to build.

Walter Umland recently offered a Stiletto 660 kit.  I remember seeing Walter's offering and not paying much attention to it originally. I don't know why, since the Stiletto is one of my favorite designs, and for some reason, I've always been incredibly fascinated by the Stiletto that Les McDonald flew at the 1978 World Championships.

Anyway, my dad Keith ordered one. The kit was inadvertently delivered to my house instead - not really surprising, since my dad and I have both ordered kits from Walter in the past. But having the Stiletto kit unexpectedly sitting on my front step, I realized two things:

1) A PA. 40 Ultralite would fit in great in the Stiletto's deep underbelly, and
2) I really wanted to build one of these planes.

So, I got a Stiletto 660 kit of my own.

Walter's kits are outstanding world-class stuff. The laser cutting is perfect, the wood is all the appropriate weight and grain, and everything's very well thought out.  And the Stiletto 660 is no exception to this. Based on the provided components, there's not a darn thing I can complain about.

I've started building the kit, if you want to call it that - the laser fits are so good, it's really more like putting together a 3-D jigsaw puzzle. I'll being taking pictures of the build, and posting them elsewhere on this site. I also hope to start a thread on the build, and maybe write up a more in-depth review of the overall process as things progress.

But for right now, I wanted to call people's attention to one of the best kits - and kit makers - on the market.

So thanks to Walter for offering such a marvelous kit, and thanks to Les McDonald for graciously allowing the design to be kitted.

It's a great time to be a stunt flyer.   ;D

For those unfamiliar, Walter's site can be found here: http://www.builtrightflyright.com/welcome1.htm

Advertise Here

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?

Advertise Here