News:

• April 19, 2024, 03:12:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The RED WING  (Read 2970 times)

Offline pat king

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
The RED WING
« on: August 21, 2016, 01:28:31 PM »
In the December 1963/January 1964 issue of Flying Models, Charles Mackey published the RED WING. Ten years ago I did a set of CAD plans for my Aussie mate Bob Allan. The airplane is big, bold, and will stay at the end of long lines. She has a 33 ¼” wingspan and 324 square inches of wing area. The airplane is for any good beam mount .049 to .099 engines. The files have been updated for laser cut production. Build her straight and don’t warp her with the covering. Keep the airplane light. The laser cut balsa parts and sheet wood are contest balsa. The CAD plans show all parts full size. The kit includes all the laser cut parts, the sheet and stick wood to build the airplane as well as the bellcrank, horn, music wire for the pushrod, and screw to mount the bellcrank. The kits will sell for $44.00 plus shipping. Full size .pdf file of the plans is $5.00 delivered to your in box.
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
Re: The RED WING
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 06:21:52 PM »
Pat,

If you have a FROG 049 diesel you can be 100% authentic with the design. I built one of those when published as I had the engine. It was a ball to fly and I had obtained a copy of the plans from a gentleman in Australia whose name escapes me at the moment.

Dennis

Offline pat king

• Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 08:30:32 PM »
Dennis,
Let me know if you want a copy of the original article. The Red Wing is so different I decided to update my CAD file and release the design. The Red Wing was the inspiration for the Delta LTS. The Delta is a completely new design with almost the same shape. The Delta LTS has a lot of structure that the 1/2A airplane lacks. The lack of stucture is not a problem with a 1/2A engine. With a 35 or 40 an enlarged Red Wing structure would be totally unsatisfactory.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 11:33:26 PM »
Dennis,
Let me know if you want a copy of the original article. The Red Wing is so different I decided to update my CAD file and release the design. The Red Wing was the inspiration for the Delta LTS. The Delta is a completely new design with almost the same shape. The Delta LTS has a lot of structure that the 1/2A airplane lacks. The lack of stucture is not a problem with a 1/2A engine. With a 35 or 40 an enlarged Red Wing structure would be totally unsatisfactory.

Pat
[/quote

Pat,

Actually the Red Wing did morph into a 40 sized model shortly after. It was published in one
of the modelling mags. Saw it listed for years but as usual my failing memory has forgotten where.

Offline pat king

• Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 04:17:55 PM »
Bump to the top.
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 04:34:41 PM »
Pat,

Interesting design.

I see the lead outs exit about 60% up the wing. Guess there's no issues with that?

Would that work with other similar designs with that type of wing?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline pat king

• Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 08:03:15 PM »
Charles,
The Red Wing is reported to fly very well. Check out the Delta LTS design, a .35 size airplane that is based on The Red Wing.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 10:59:11 AM »
Charles,
The Red Wing is reported to fly very well. Check out the Delta LTS design, a .35 size airplane that is based on The Red Wing.

Pat

Pat,
I think that the larger version of the Red Wing was in FM and there was one called the Monster with the same layout but with a small fuselage on it.

Dennis

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 12:36:07 PM »
Charles,

Pat

Pat, thank you!

I did some digging but couldn't come up with a plan view, just photos?

My interest is where the lead outs exit on the LE based on the CG location.

Be nice if someone has a scan or photo of the Delta LTS design plans. I would have what I needed.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 03:15:14 PM »
Check Pat's vendor site for the plans. They are in there probably 2nd page but you will find a lot of interesting designs.

Dennis

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here