News:

• May 10, 2024, 07:09:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spray equipment  (Read 2813 times)

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Spray equipment
« on: February 09, 2016, 04:25:22 PM »
I don't have a ton of money to spend on spray paint equipment but what would be a reasonably priced system to buy?  I do not own a compressor or gun so I really don't know where to start with this.  What would be a good entry level system?

Thank you
Mike

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Spray equipment
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 04:41:02 PM »
Mike, I have written a bunch of responses on this topic on here, ( as have others)  I do not have time to rewrite it since I am at work now, but its out there on the search function,, Have you tried that?

and what is "not much money", for me 300$ for a spray gun is cheap,, what are you wanting to spray,, dope urethane, primer, sealer?
I could literaly write 10 pages in response, but depending on what you are after,, 9 of those pages would be meaningless

For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Richard Logston

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 05:15:33 PM »
I am in the same boat about spraying. I used to own a nice spray outfit when I was building and painting my Starduster homebuilt, however I sold it figuring I no longer needed it. Got back into model airplanes now wish I still had it. I have been finishing my airplanes lately by covering wings with Ultracote and painting the fuselage with Rustoleum. Thought I would try the Preval gun from hardware stores. I'm using nitrate dope as a build up and silkspan on the wings. Fuselage is covered with tissue. So I loaded up the bottle with 50/50 butyrate dope and tried to spray on a small hatch to start. Glad I did as the dope came out with little lumpy specks. So sanded that off and thinned the dope to a more watery substance and it sprayed great. It works the same as an aerosol spray paint can. but has a jar that attaches so you can spray different colors without buying several cans. I know that this post will turn a cocked eye to the professional painter, but you were seeking the most economical way to spray paint. Mark pretty well summed it up by advising a search regarding this matter. Also allot depends on what type airplane and what you intend to do with it. For general sport flying and a clean airplane you do not need to spend much money. Hope this helps or encourages you in some way. Richard358430

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 05:29:33 PM »
Would a airbrush work or is it to small?  I will do a search on here and see what I can find.

Thank you

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 05:33:33 PM »
Mike, what are you painting, 1/2 a? full sized stunters,, do you compete, are you trying to get a sevicable finish or s show stopper,, so so many variables,,

Richard,
as to the Preval sprayer, not a direction I would go, in fact you are the second person I have heard that made it work,, good for you,, but Not my reccomendation
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 05:37:40 PM »
a coupel threads  found with the search for "spray guns"

just to help
http://stunthanger.com/smf/paint-and-finishing/paint-spray-guns/

http://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/hvlp-and-compressors-i-need-some-help/

http://stunthanger.com/smf/paint-and-finishing/gravity-feed-spray-guns/

http://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/spray-guns/

http://stunthanger.com/smf/paint-and-finishing/

just a smattering, I did not proof any for content, just searched copied and pasted,,

Like me pappy told me,, when you know what you want to know, ask me a  question I can answer,,

n~ H^^ D>K

In other words,, decide what you are trying to accomplish, then ask a question that gets the answer which applies
Hope that doesnt come across as stuffy or asshole,, but as you can see LOTS written on this topic
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 05:38:11 PM »
I use two sizes of Finex guns. One with a 1.4 tip for color, one with a 1.8 tip for clear. I airbrush trim colors. My compressor is a Craftsman 50 gal, 1.5hp with 20 feet of hose. There is a moisture trap on the outlet of the compressor and a pressure regulator at the gun end. Total spent was probably around $400 and worth every penny.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 08:35:15 PM »
Mike, what are you painting, 1/2 a? full sized stunters,, do you compete, are you trying to get a sevicable finish or s show stopper,, so so many variables,,

Richard,
as to the Preval sprayer, not a direction I would go, in fact you are the second person I have heard that made it work,, good for you,, but Not my reccomendation

Hi Mark, finally got some time to sit down and give you a better idea of what I am looking for.

I do not compete anymore and am not looking for a front row finish.  I don't want to spend weeks finishing a model.  I want a serviceable finish that looks respectable and will be fuel proof as I still have some engines I want to use.  I want a compressor that gives me adequate pressure to spray with.  I want to be able to spray color and topcoats.  I do not use color dope but do use clear butyrate and nitrate which I have always brushed on.  Mark I guess I am looking for something easy to use that will produce a decent finish and I really don't want to spend over $250.00 total.  Thank you for the links .  I appreciate it.

PS. I don't build small models.  About the smallest thing I build is a Ringmaster.

Does this help?

Mike
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 08:46:44 AM by Mike Griffin »

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 11:33:25 PM »
It is not air pressure you are looking for, but CFM.  If CFM is too low the compressor will run a lot.  I bought a used Sears Craftsman 30 gallon, 8 CFM on Craig's list for $100.00.  I've been using it for 5 years with no problems.  An inexpensive
HVLP gun from $30.00 (Harbor Freight) to a more expensive one for around $130.00 (Warwick) will be plenty adequate.  Air brushes don't work well over a large area.  An inexpensive Paasche air brush however, is nice to have.  I've just told you pretty much everything that I use.
Mike

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 08:48:27 AM »
It is not air pressure you are looking for, but CFM.  If CFM is too low the compressor will run a lot.  I bought a used Sears Craftsman 30 gallon, 8 CFM on Craig's list for $100.00.  I've been using it for 5 years with no problems.  An inexpensive
HVLP gun from $30.00 (Harbor Freight) to a more expensive one for around $130.00 (Warwick) will be plenty adequate.  Air brushes don't work well over a large area.  An inexpensive Paasche air brush however, is nice to have.  I've just told you pretty much everything that I use.

Thank you Mike

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 09:02:19 AM »
I havent heard of warwick guns, I will have to check them out
I heard that Finex guns have been discontinued which is a major dissapointment, they were a fantastic mid price option (made by Sharpe)
but I see that TCP Global still has them
http://www.tcpglobal.com/SHA289222_2.html?sc=120&category=2669214#.Vrte3eaaJ-c

EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here