News:

• April 23, 2024, 04:06:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Silver Final Coat...Sand?  (Read 5641 times)

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
Silver Final Coat...Sand?
« on: April 02, 2017, 09:20:11 PM »
On my Tutor I am on my final silver coats on smaller surfaces.
Can't seem to find the definitive answer........do you light sand final silver coat before spraying color?
Appreciate any intel here.
Thankee,
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Re: Silver Final Coat...Sand?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 10:46:11 PM »
If you are satisfied with the way your silver undercoat looks just lightly sand to remove overspray and then apply color. The idea is to have a solid, consistent undercoat as any variations will show through the color coats, more with some colors than others.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 07:42:53 AM »
On my Tutor I am on my final silver coats on smaller surfaces.
Can't seem to find the definitive answer........do you light sand final silver coat before spraying color?
Appreciate any intel here.
Thankee,
Shug
Yes but a very light sanding with 400~600 grit.  I think the trend is away from silver as a primer/filler coat because of low adhesion.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 08:35:55 AM »
I agree w/ above post. Next project mix some silver with polar grey or better yet, polar grey and some white to make a lighter color primer. If looking for a filler/primer put in some of Randy's zinc sterate powder. Not too much so it will still spray easily. I also seal the primer/filler w/ a spray coat of clear to lock everything in. Others have different techniques, experiment until you find one that works for you.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Astropuppy

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 12:19:48 PM »
Shug,
Are you spraying KlassKote? If you are I would mist the silver with white just prior to spraying yellow. No sanding in-between coats, just keep within the re-coat period listed in the instructions.  Step on the white with thinner to keep the weight down. The white is a dry coat in the areas receiving red or yellow. KlassKote white is high solids, it doesn't take much to turn the silver white.
Astropuppy

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 02:44:07 PM »
Shug,
Are you spraying KlassKote? If you are I would mist the silver with white just prior to spraying yellow. No sanding in-between coats, just keep within the re-coat period listed in the instructions.  Step on the white with thinner to keep the weight down. The white is a dry coat in the areas receiving red or yellow. KlassKote white is high solids, it doesn't take much to turn the silver white.
Using all Brodak dope on this project. I am going white on fuse and wings instead of silver. Thanks.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 06:50:36 PM »
Yes but a very light sanding with 400~600 grit.  I think the trend is away from silver as a primer/filler coat because of low adhesion.

Light sanding, yes, but 800~1000 is more like it.  Maybe just my opinion but 400 seems pretty stout when it comes to that part of the process.
Mike

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 01:19:16 PM »
I never touch silver, that is going to show as part of the finish, with sandpaper. Period.

Derek

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 05:23:11 PM »
I don't think he is using it for finish, just the traditional base for fixing the flaws.  Yes, it shows scratches of any size if sanded.  400 grit leaves sizable scratches that aren't easily hidden and can't be hidden if clear coated.  Silver looks great if done correctly, Derek has done it.
Mike

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 06:13:52 AM »
Thanks everybody.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Mark Knight

• New Pilot
  • Flight is one of mans true adventures
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 07:05:23 AM »
 I'm using Klasskote for the first time.  I,ve got my base color down and noticed a slight bit of orange peel. 
Can this product be wet sanded for a smoother finish?  I don't want to start sanding and ruin what I've laid down so far.  I plan on using 800, then 2000 grit
wet/dry 3M Imperial paper.

Offline Astropuppy

• Ensign
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 07:16:37 AM »
I'm using Klasskote for the first time.  I,ve got my base color down and noticed a slight bit of orange peel. 
Can this product be wet sanded for a smoother finish?  I don't want to start sanding and ruin what I've laid down so far.  I plan on using 800, then 2000 grit

Yes it wet sands beautifully.  I use 800 only if its going to be overcoated and has dried more then 24 hours. After 24hrs succeeding coats need a tooth. under 24 they will chemically bond.

Typically, I shoot in the evening, wet sand and shoot another coat the next morning.
Astropuppy

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 08:33:14 AM »

Mark,

Why did you use an Epoxy base paint?

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mark Knight

• New Pilot
  • Flight is one of mans true adventures
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 10:59:03 AM »
Klasskote was the band of finish I preferred to use although this is my first time.  I wanted a durable and glossy finish that would hold up to team racing.  The orange peel is ever so light and may polish out with a 2000 grit wet sanding.  It has been a few days since I sprayed on the base so will 800 grit provide enough of a bite for the trim colors?

Offline Astropuppy

• Ensign
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 11:51:31 AM »
It has been a few days since I sprayed on the base so will 800 grit provide enough of a bite for the trim colors?

800 should be fine for spraying trim. Much coarser and you'll go through in a blink.

On my last finish job, after the trim was on, I used an airbrush and cleared the mask lines, then 1000, then cleared the whole airplane. The extra clear on the mask lines helped take the ridges out without adding a lot of weight.

It looks good as is, but the plan is to sand the clear out with 2000 and polish.
Astropuppy

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 11:50:40 PM »
I'm using Klasskote for the first time.  I,ve got my base color down and noticed a slight bit of orange peel.  
Can this product be wet sanded for a smoother finish?  I don't want to start sanding and ruin what I've laid down so far.  I plan on using 800, then 2000 grit

You can certainly sand your base coat, in fact, you can be pretty aggressive with it. 800 seems a bit much, and 2000 is more like polishing than smoothing. I would suggest 1200 or so. I had a lot of orange peel in the white on my current airplane, and I really went at it - 600 *very lightly* to break the glaze, then 1200. I sand it until there are no shiny spots left.  If it is silver that is going to show, I would consider sanding it down and then spraying again with enough thinner to make sure you don't get more orange peel.

BTW, one of the better finishers ever, the late Jim Tichy, came over to show Uncle Jimby how he did it. Note that this is Jim "20 Point" Aron, not some duffer. I cannot recommend this, but color-sanding the dope finish, he started with, I kid you not, *180*, very lightly of course.

Brett
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:49:48 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 07:39:42 PM »

BTW, one of the better finishers ever, the late Jim Tichy, came over to show Uncle Jimby how he did it. Note that this is Jim "20 Point" Aron, not some duffer. I cannot recommend this, but color-sanding the dope finish, he started with, I kid you not, *180*, very lightly of course.

Brett

Brett
[/quote
ARGGHHHH 180, wow thats something I would love to know how he came up with the idea to even try that, man, I dont think my 180 sees daylight once I put dope on,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 08:52:46 PM »

Brett

ARGGHHHH 180, wow thats something I would love to know how he came up with the idea to even try that, man, I dont think my 180 sees daylight once I put dope on,,

That's what I thought about it, too, I can't see how you could ever be light enough, one grain could easily go through a coat of paint.

Brett

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 10:09:51 PM »
I think the trend is away from silver as a primer/filler coat because of low adhesion.

One of Mr Urtnowskis thingo's ( on the Cradinal ?? ) goes on about mixing the silver with the dope ,
after the first two coats , so it builds as you go , and is semi translucent .

With the Sig COLOUR Dope , he talks on the tapes of leaving it standing for a year , so the colour goes into
the bottom half of the jar / can , then pouring off the top half ( clear now ) to get ' pigment enrichmwent .

According to him , he had a hand in the Brodak dope , which is like sitting on super glue .
 LL~ sorry .
Thus this has sufficent pigment for a couple of coats to cover admirably .

Thinking of trying the silver acrylic clear I have in Sig Litecoat on current project , as other dope here ( Aus. ) is non gloss
or is Tolulol , which deems to crack up .

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 11:42:41 PM »
One of Mr Urtnowskis thingo's ( on the Cradinal ?? ) goes on about mixing the silver with the dope ,
after the first two coats , so it builds as you go , and is semi translucent .

With the Sig COLOUR Dope , he talks on the tapes of leaving it standing for a year , so the colour goes into
the bottom half of the jar / can , then pouring off the top half ( clear now ) to get ' pigment enrichmwent .

That technique is effective but very dangerous if you then attempt to use butyrate clear. At the factory, they put in all the pigment they can and still have decent adhesion and impermeability. Concentrating it means that there really isn't enough carrier (clear) to hold that much pigment. It works fine and covers better than normal. If you put a two-part clear (Imron at the time, some other car clear now), still no problem because the there is no penetration. If you put on clear in any more than a dust coat at a time, it melts into the color, and either everything shows through, or the adhesion is exceptionally poor.

That's why two-part colors (like car base coat, Superpoxy, Hobbypoxy, Klassktote) cover so well - you can put VASTLY more pigment per unit volume because epoxy can take it and still have plenty of adhesion. Klass-Kote white comes out of the can about like cake icing, it's got so much pigment.  Thats also why, used properly, it's a bit lighter than dope for an equivalent finish - covers much better so you use less.  Of course, it also lasts much longer, too.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here