News:

• April 18, 2024, 04:29:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scientific Red Tiger P-40 Canopy Painting  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Scientific Red Tiger P-40 Canopy Painting
« on: April 29, 2017, 02:59:34 PM »
Hi there. I am about to embark on building my Scientific kit and just had one question before doing so. It has a clear upper plastic canopy. What is the best method to paint the canopy? Inside or outside? I know that in rc cars, we paint the bodies from the inside, but it would definitely not match the rest of the plane. Paint on the outside, it will match, but, will it flake off, or should I lightly scuff it up first? Thank you. I will start a new thread in the 1/2a forum when I start, as I did not want to intrude on someone elses of the same.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Scientific Red Tiger P-40 Canopy Painting
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 06:48:00 PM »
Hi there. I am about to embark on building my Scientific kit and just had one question before doing so. It has a clear upper plastic canopy. What is the best method to paint the canopy? Inside or outside? I know that in rc cars, we paint the bodies from the inside, but it would definitely not match the rest of the plane. Paint on the outside, it will match, but, will it flake off, or should I lightly scuff it up first? Thank you. I will start a new thread in the 1/2a forum when I start, as I did not want to intrude on someone elses of the same.

Chancey,

How many of those canopies do you have? Wingspan of your model?

I can't speak for everyone but what I do is fit the canopy in place then mask off the area I don't want painted. Everything but the frame.

The area I paint I scratch up with 400 or 600.

Here's a few examples.

Even though painted, the Stuka canopy is still masked for the clear coat. I gotta get around to to putting clear on this model.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 07:08:33 PM »
Thank you for the reply. It looks like I will be painting the outside! Model has 19" wingspan and I have only the one canopy. I was thinking of using craft paints for the finish, so I am not worried about the paint affecting the canopy if that is why you asked.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 08:23:55 PM »
Thank you for the reply. It looks like I will be painting the outside! Model has 19" wingspan and I have only the one canopy. I was thinking of using craft paints for the finish, so I am not worried about the paint affecting the canopy if that is why you asked.

CC,

I asked about the canopy because I like having two. One for the fit and abuse and the second to put in place.

Your model is electric? Craft paint will not be fuel proof.

CB

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 11:59:00 PM »
Thought about molding it, but just going to roll the dice on this one. Well, dice have just been rolled as it is now cut out and trimmed! No, it will not be electric.
 Going to put my PeeWee .020 in it. It has provisions on the plans for it. Will do my usual thing for paint followed up by a couple of light coats of Minwax Clear spray can. It will make things fuelproof!  ;D

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here