News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:21:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Polyurethane  (Read 6799 times)

Offline bob whitney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Polyurethane
« on: May 08, 2016, 02:46:11 PM »

been wanting to try some Polyurethane   . i had an old unfinished WOW with Sig Coeval on it that i did a  poor job on.

anyway bought a qt of fast drying MINWAX POLYURETHANE (oil based ) brushed on two coats full strength with a cheap brush. the wing was totally sealed .

figured i would play ,after about 4 hrs took a can of RUST-OLEUM rattle can powder blue and did the outline of the wing with 2 coats ,no reaction. let it dry for about another 4 hrs and brushed on another coat of MINWAX ,still no adverse reaction , took it out yesterday and flew on 10% fuel with no problem .the MINWAX flows real nice even with a brush , a qt can is $12. i used practically nothing on a 300 sq in wing. the RUST-OLEUM was gloss protective enamel
rad racer

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Polyurethane
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 07:06:37 PM »
been wanting to try some Polyurethane   . i had an old unfinished WOW with Sig Coeval on it that i did a  poor job on.

anyway bought a qt of fast drying MINWAX POLYURETHANE (oil based ) brushed on two coats full strength with a cheap brush. the wing was totally sealed .

figured i would play ,after about 4 hrs took a can of RUST-OLEUM rattle can powder blue and did the outline of the wing with 2 coats ,no reaction. let it dry for about another 4 hrs and brushed on another coat of MINWAX ,still no adverse reaction , took it out yesterday and flew on 10% fuel with no problem .the MINWAX flows real nice even with a brush , a qt can is $12. i used practically nothing on a 300 sq in wing. the RUST-OLEUM was gloss protective enamel

Bob,

Experimentation with covering materials and paint products is great, glad to see others doing it. Many have had success with Rust-O-Leum, but I have not tryed it yet.

I thought that Sig iron on product was a tad heavy, just about 2 onces per sheet? I also thought you could just paint it?

Note my question marks.

If that works out for you, you probably have the quickest covering system so far.  H^^

Do you have any photos?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 10:07:46 PM »
Sounds like you are using the same stuff I am. I do like it. It gets very hard. The only thing to watch out for is using it over top of a light color. I recently built a field box and painted it white-ish. I then applied two coats to fuelproof it and you can see a slight yellow tinge. I was reading and knew about this so it was no big deal. I heard that the water based stuff however does not do that. Just thought I would let you know.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 11:17:53 PM »
 like i said will be flying this in combat so didn't spend much time on it
cover all is a tad heavy but indestructible to hanger rash to a heavy handed person like me
rad racer

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 04:14:14 PM »
Sounds like you are using the same stuff I am. I do like it. It gets very hard. The only thing to watch out for is using it over top of a light color. I recently built a field box and painted it white-ish. I then applied two coats to fuelproof it and you can see a slight yellow tinge. I was reading and knew about this so it was no big deal. I heard that the water based stuff however does not do that. Just thought I would let you know.

Yes, but the MinWax (water based) PolyCrylic is not fuel proof. I believe somebody tested a bunch of different water based urethane varnishes, but don't recall for sure if any were fuel proof. A "search" might find it, but my experience with the "search" on SH is that I couldn't even find Stunt Hangar with it.  :-X Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online David Hoover

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 04:45:02 PM »
I'm not sure if it's polyurethane but you should try Nelson Hobbies water reducible clear.  Available in both gloss and flat, fuel proof to at least 10% nitro (maybe 15%, I can't remember) right out of the jar, more with the cross linker.  It's crystal clear, does not yellow with age and has almost no odour.  It's not cheap but it is definitely good value.

http://www.nelsonhobby.com/hobby_paint.php
Life is simple. Eat. Sleep. Fly!
Best, Hoovie

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 06:49:23 PM »
             David, I used Nelson water based poly for several planes. Excellent results after a lot of trial and error. Unfortunately, Jerry Nelson retired and sold the company. I didn't have good luck acquiring product from the new owner. When was the last time you were able to purchase the product? The website hasn't worked since Jerry owned it and you have to contact the new owner through the website. My stash is now depleted and I certainly would like more. I really like the results and durability of the paint. It just took me a lot of screwing up initially to get used to how it works.

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 09:06:28 PM »
You probably already know this, but Nelson paint is made by System Three.
Fewer colors, but same product.

https://systemthree.com/products/water-reducible-linear-polyurethane-topcoat
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 10:35:59 PM »
...my experience with the "search" on SH is that I couldn't even find Stunt Hangar with it.  :-X Steve
I think it has to do with the archiving system. Whenever I use Google and want results ONLY from Stunthangar and enter {"search terms site:stunthangar.com"} I get few/no results. But if I enter {"search terms site:stunthanger.com"} I get pages of it.

Also when searching this forum on Google as a specific site in this manner, the archived results that are older than fairly recent have a "/?wap2" suffix at the end of the resulting URLs. If you click and follow those links from the search results page, and then delete the "/?wap2" suffix that appears in the browser's address bar, and press "Enter" again, you get the regular looking forum pages.

For instance this search: "polyurethane site:stunthanger.com", many of the results like this one: {http://stunthanger.com/smf/paint-and-finishing/polyspan-and-water-based-polyurethane/10/?wap2} and it takes you to a text file with no pictures. But if you delete the "/?wap2" and press "Enter" it takes you to a page that looks like the one we are viewing right now.

Others may have a suffix that says "print page" instead of "?wap2" You can't change that and get a better result.

And yes, I am a big polyurethane user too. It's very non-reactive to all the solvents and volatiles that we use(that I've tried so far... nitro, alky, acetone, exhaust goo, etc.).

Hope this helps your future searches.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 08:02:56 PM »
Per Google:

hang·er
ˈhaNGər/
noun
noun: hanger; plural noun: hangers; noun: coat hanger; plural noun: coat hangers

a person who hangs something.
    "a wallpaper hanger"
    a shaped piece of wood, plastic, or metal with a hook at the top, from which clothes may be hung in order to keep them in shape and free of creases.

hang·ar
ˈhaNGər/
noun
noun: hangar; plural noun: hangars

a large building with extensive floor area, typically for housing aircraft.

verb
verb: hangar; 3rd person present: hangars; past tense: hangared; past participle: hangared; gerund or present participle: hangaring

place or store in a hangar.
    "the army choppers that were hangared out at Springs"

Trips a bunch of us up.  

Phil

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 09:42:51 PM »
You probably already know this, but Nelson paint is made by System Three.
Fewer colors, but same product.

https://systemthree.com/products/water-reducible-linear-polyurethane-topcoat

This outfit is about three miles from home.  I buy epoxy from them and someday might try their paint.  I'm pretty sure they will mix special colors for you at a cost.  It is water born polyurethane, similar I think to Auto Air Colors. 
Mike

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 11:16:30 PM »
Per Google:

hang·er
ˈhaNGər/
noun
noun: hanger; plural noun: hangers; noun: coat hanger; plural noun: coat hangers

a person who hangs something.
    "a wallpaper hanger"
    a shaped piece of wood, plastic, or metal with a hook at the top, from which clothes may be hung in order to keep them in shape and free of creases.

hang·ar
ˈhaNGər/
noun
noun: hangar; plural noun: hangars

a large building with extensive floor area, typically for housing aircraft.

verb
verb: hangar; 3rd person present: hangars; past tense: hangared; past participle: hangared; gerund or present participle: hangaring

place or store in a hangar.
    "the army choppers that were hangared out at Springs"

Trips a bunch of us up.  

Phil

I've just used the "Search" box in the top RH corner of the page. If Sparky has disabled it or something, it would be nice to know that. You're preaching to the choir about the correct spelling  of "Stunth Anger" (sic). Well, maybe not "choir", but if I have any doubt about a spelling, I care enough to look it up, unlike most. I also make some effort to compose a decent subject line, proof read my posts, and check whatever words have a wiggly red line under them.  LL~ Steve   
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 08:57:46 AM »
Bob,

I'm wondering how your combat model is doing with the Polyurethane finish you applied on it?

I'm using the Minwax Polycrylic on the hard areas of the ARGO II, as I did for the ARGO.

This product is water based.

The Minwax Polyurethane you used is oil based. My guess is the oil based product will hold up better but one has to deal with the odor. With Condo living I cannot have any odors at all.

Neither product is a two part clear, so my guess is they will not hold up that well over time to the fuel proof issues. Just a guess?

In my case, this product being non fuel proof isn't an issue because I will top coat everything with an auto two part clear as I have over many years on many models with good success.

The easy road for me is to use the 2K Spray Max clear aerosol can product.

However, there are 2K clears in Qt. cans avalable with hardener for under 40.00 for those that elect to use spray equipment. I haven't looked into them because of the shipping costs and I really don't want to use spray equipment.

We'll see how the ARGO II turns out.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 01:09:03 PM »
Just to comment about the oil based Minwax Polyurethane. I do agree that there is a slight odour to it, and all of my dealings with it on my handle, airboat, and airplane were done indoors in the model room because it was winter out and I did not heat up my garage. I personally did not find a problem with using it indoors. Heck even the better half never said anything.  mw~ I will also add though that as stated, the airboat is approximately 20" long by 9 inches wide, a 1/2a handle and a 1/2a airplane, so they were smaller things I was using it on.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 06:24:44 PM »
I like the Minwax PU a lot. On small stuff, I wipe it on with a T-shirt rag, and then sand the first coat with 220, and lightly apply one more. I've been using the regular as opposed to the Spar. I don't know if one is better than the other, or if either yellows more or less. If I plan to paint over it or lay on silkspan with it, I use the water based non fuel-proof Polycrilic. Adding a bunch of talc to the wbpu makes good sanding sealer/filler.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 09:48:34 PM »
Thanks Rusty! Now that you found a use for WBPU, I may have to go shopping.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 03:32:27 AM »
Thanks Rusty! Now that you found a use for WBPU, I may have to go shopping.
Hey, Chancey. For sanding sealer/filler, I use about 3 parts Polycrilic and 1-2 parts talcum powder. When you sand it off, it's like pure talc in the sanding dust, and when the amount of dust suddenly decreases you start being careful not to sand too deep. I also use it on top of silkspan or tissue after it dries, then sand it the same way, making sure not to sand into the paper.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here