News:

• April 26, 2024, 03:13:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Poly span wrinkles  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Poly span wrinkles
« on: May 30, 2016, 03:40:10 AM »

When I apply dope to poly span it "puckers" where the cap strips meet the L/E and at the T/E I have been doping cord wise when this happens.
Got suggestions to prevent this happening?

Thanks    ~^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Poly span wrinkles
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 06:23:19 AM »
When I apply dope to poly span it "puckers" where the cap strips meet the L/E and at the T/E I have been doping cord wise when this happens.
Got suggestions to prevent this happening?

Thanks    ~^

Did you heat shrink it after you applied it?

Robert has a great video of applying polyspan. Have you seen his video?

I did the P-40 with silkspan, I know, it's not polyspan, but one panel did wrinkle up some with the first two or three coats of dope. After a few more coats of dope they went away permanately. Ended up drum tight.

What model are you working on?

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 04:13:44 PM »
I have had the same problem at times.  None of the suggested cures worked for me.  I have some planes that turned out perfect.  Not one wrinkle or pucker.  Then, they show up on the next one.  Something in the process goes wrong at times and I have not figured it out.  At times, the puckers appeared after three or four coats of dope.  There were no puckers after the first coat or two but after that, they appeared.

Since dope softens the existing coats I wonder if the polyspan, or whatever covering, is pulling loose a bit when subsequent coats are applied.  Also, polyspan is stronger span-wise than chord-wise.  Is is possible that the shrinking due to heat and due to the dope is causing the polyspan to split, thus causing the puckers?  But, why only where the caps trips meet the LE and TE?  One batch of polyspan I have is pretty lousy.  It looks to be a clone of the Starline product.  This clone has rather large, thin areas that would never fill with dope.  The weave is pretty light and it tears very easily in the chord-wise direction.  I will not use it because of this.

I also wondered if the capstrips were moving, that is, rolling a little, due to the shrinkage of the covering.  I have done the partial sheeting of foam cores with the capstrips and the capstrips should be more secure since they lay flat against the foam.  But, the puckers still appear at times.

The project I have in work now is partially sheeted foam with capstrips.  I started this one long ago and put it aside to do other projects.  It is worth finishing and I will cover this one with Thermal Span, which is like polyspan but just as strong chord-wise as span-wise.  We shall see if this makes any difference.

All future projects will be fully sheeted.  I have found little difference in final weight between fully sheeting and conventional covering.  It is much easier to finish out the wing if fully sheeted so I am taking the easier path.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 07:59:31 PM »
I have used Polyspan for the last 12 years and covered many models with zero puckers or wrinkles. Follow my video for flawless results every time.
AMA 12366

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here