News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:25:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paint temple masks with Scotch® Double Sided Removable Tape 238  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Paint temple masks with Scotch® Double Sided Removable Tape 238
« on: November 06, 2015, 06:43:01 PM »
I'm starting on the trim on a new ship and have a few areas that I have created a temple for the area that I want to mask off and paint with another color later. I was wondering if anyone has use  Scotch® Double Sided Removable Tape 238 to adhere and seal a temple mask. This seems like a simple way to get the template held in position and seal off the edge in one shot, then just remove the template and mask the other areas and paint the template design. Anyone try this?

Best,     DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Paint temple masks with Scotch® Double Sided Removable Tape 238
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 07:27:32 PM »
Dennis,

That stuff is really thin in width, so I wouldn't go that route. You have to cut the template or mask anyway, so just use the correct material for the job. Only one piece.

Years ago and I do mean years. Many of the airbrush guys like myself used 3M spray adheasive to hold templates or masks in place.

Never got a perfect edge, but it wasn't necessary. Much free hand work was generally applied here and there.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 08:44:43 PM »
What I was planning on was to add the double face tape to the back of the template, trim the tape edge to match the template sides then stick the template in place on the piece. The idea is to be able add the tape on the underside of the edge of the template and stick it down as apposed to drawing the pattern and tape to that. Kinda like using a cut out vinyl mask except using the actual template which seems easier to handle (its made from file folder cardboard).

Best,   DennisT

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 10:24:30 PM »
If I am understanding what you are saying, you are going to use the edge of the file folder template as the actual edge to spray on for your color seperation?
If thats what you are thinking, you wont get a crisp edge and the odds of blowing color under the templatre are pretty  high.
Unless you are going for a soft edge like camoflage I dont think you will get a satisfactory result. You want the material that forms the actual edge of the color to be reliably affixed and as thin as possible to prevent shading the edge and also a thicker edge will create more ridge where the paint bridges up onto the mask,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 11:46:51 AM »
I tried it today and it works pretty good. The idea was to use the 3M 238 double face removable tape to hold the template and seal the edge. What I did was to put the DF tape on the underside of the template, trim to the shape of the template, position the template and press in place then apply the base color in light dust coats (needed 2). The tape held find and did not lift.

Now that the base coat is on I will do a normal tape along the outside of the template edge, mast the rest of the area, remove the template and paint the trim into the area that was covered by the template.

Mark, good point about the ridge. I will knock this down prior to applying the trim color.

Best,      DennisT
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 12:10:31 PM by Dennis Toth »

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 02:46:42 PM »
Not the way I would do it, but you have to do what makes you happy.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 04:28:20 PM »
I've used this technique in the past with good results. Cut the pattern you want out of plastic shelve contact paper. Gently cut the backing away from the edge of the template about 1/4 inch. Leave the rest of the backing attached. Press the template in place along the edge that you removed the backing from. Now you can paint along the edge of the template with no bleed under. Remove the template using a hair dryer and you should not get any lift. Perfect for complex patterns like letters and numbers.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 07:09:14 AM »
I've used this technique in the past with good results. Cut the pattern you want out of plastic shelve contact paper. Gently cut the backing away from the edge of the template about 1/4 inch. Leave the rest of the backing attached. Press the template in place along the edge that you removed the backing from. Now you can paint along the edge of the template with no bleed under. Remove the template using a hair dryer and you should not get any lift. Perfect for complex patterns like letters and numbers.

Paul, Dennis,

Just a couple of things here.

You purchased the shelf paper to use as a mask. You could have easily purchased material "designed" and "manufactured" for the purpose of masking.

The airbrush and custom paint industry provides many materials for professionals so they don‘t even have to consider using a product designed for something else or another purpose.

So, and with all due respect, why not just use what the professionals use? Nothing hard about that, besides, you don‘t have to be a professional to purchase these products. Most suppliers will sell to hobbyists AND offer tech support for related questions.

Starting out with professional products designed for a specific task, would make these tasks easier AND provide confidence in whatever it is your doing with them.

I painted this Flite Streak using “only” professional masking materials. I would have never been able to make the 007 background using shelf paper. The thought would have never come to mind.

Google airbrush masking materials. Suppliers are all over the place.

About using heat to remove materials like masks or tape.

I have never used heat for the removal of anything related to masks. This could be line tape, sheet/roll mask materials and liquid masks that are sprayed.

If not careful, “sometimes” excessive heat could attack the adhesive, leaving some of it on the painted surface, especially products that aren’t manufactured for this purpose.

If the surface is prepared properly, paint will stick so the removal of tape or masks should not be a concern. There are right and wrong ways to remove tape. Correct and incorrect.

I do scratch paint before other colors are applied in layers, paint over paint. 600 and 1000 are my best friends. Certainly not in all cases, but one has to learn a bit about the paint medium of choice also.

This Flite Streak, although colorful, has only two layers of paint, the lettering is vinyl, so it was an easy shoot even though it looks complicated.

I have something, a new model, in the works that looks less complicated than this Flite Streak, yet has three layers of paint.

Some of the masking and tapes have been on the model for over a couple of weeks. Still on it.

I could never be comfortable working this way with products not designed for the professional industry.

Charles

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 10:20:59 AM »
This is just a small piece of trim, I agree that for big section a more professional mask is needed. For these small bits the 3M 238 double face tape works good enough. Attached are a few pictures of how it worked out.

Best,      DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 10:59:36 AM »
Dennis,

That's actually cleaver for the use and purpose.  H^^

What model is that?  ;D

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags: trim  masks  paint  tape 

Advertise Here