News:

• April 24, 2024, 09:00:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Order Of Operations  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Order Of Operations
« on: July 27, 2016, 06:48:56 PM »
Hi all. Just a quick little question I have regarding refinishing a plane. The plane in question is a Lil' Jumpin' Bean. It was doped, sanded, re-doped, and sanded again. So the question is can I paint directly on the doped wood and silkspan, or is it better to spray on a coat of primer first, then sand that followed by paint. Thank you.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Order Of Operations
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 06:52:44 PM »
What effect do you want to achieve?  For 1/2-A stuff I aim for waterproof and light, so I don't put a lot of dope on the thing.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 08:00:35 PM »
The effect I am looking for is simply another 1/2a plane that looks good and flies equally as well. I have used dope and such before, but the main reason for asking is that this is my first built up wing using silkspan and this alone is the reason I ask about painting right over the dope, or prime it first followed by a sanding. Thank you.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 09:21:01 PM »
The effect I am looking for is simply another 1/2a plane that looks good and flies equally as well. I have used dope and such before, but the main reason for asking is that this is my first built up wing using silkspan and this alone is the reason I ask about painting right over the dope, or prime it first followed by a sanding. Thank you.

If you've sealed the silkspan with clear dope, you can paint right onto it with colored dope.  This works particularly well if you retain the natural doped silkspan look for the thing, with colored dope used as trim.  It will not be a mirror-smooth "20 point" finish.  But that doesn't mean it can't look nice.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 09:42:57 PM »
Ok, thank you then. I was planning on trying acrylic craft paint thinned and sprayed with an airbrush, followed by a coat of rattle can Minwax Polyurethane Clear. But i think I should be alright as the dope is sealed. I will not get to painting till after the weekend. I will post progress report after it happens.  ::)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here