News:

• April 23, 2024, 02:21:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Monokote wing windows  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Monokote wing windows
« on: November 15, 2016, 10:15:19 AM »
These are old pics. But due to recent inquiries, I will put these out there in the event it helps someone.

Ok, I did some digging. My pics might not be excellent. And they're kinda small, but you'll get the idea. It is basically the same idea. The difference is the over lap. You want a lot! Lol. 

So I make card board templates of what shape I want the window to be. Then I take that same template, and make it about 3/8 bigger around the entire border. The bigger piece is the clear template. 

The reason for the big overlap is that is in the middle of the wing. It will be stretched from all directions. This is where it's important to put the covering on tight by hand, and the shrinkage with heat is minimal. That's the only hard part to doing these. The separation caused by stretching. 

Notice I ironed this window in. Trim solvent is just as reliable in this application! When done correctly, either heat or trim solvent activate the adhesive equally. The solvent is a little easier to keep the lines straight, as there is no shrinkage. IF you iron, use the lowest heat possible to activate the adhesive. Pull test BEFORE you try to apply to a wing. If you can pull it apart, it will come apart on the wing! 

Do the "corners" first. Apply a corner to the LE near the fuse. Then the TE, while pulling tight. Then about center of the LE. Then the LE wingtip. Then pull tight at centre of TE. Then TE wingtip. Then work the LE entirely. The TE is now pretty easy, just keep it tight.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Re: Monokote wing windows
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 10:18:03 AM »
More pics. This one had a black LE, so that was applied before applying to the wing also

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Monokote wing windows
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 01:28:34 PM »
"Great" Dane,

Wow! Always raising the bar.  H^^

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here