News:

• April 19, 2024, 05:29:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mixing Sig dope to get maroon?  (Read 2807 times)

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Mixing Sig dope to get maroon?
« on: May 22, 2017, 06:46:07 PM »
Which Sig colors should be mixed to get Maroon?  Quantities?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Mixing Sig dope to get maroon?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 07:11:19 PM »
If you want to go high-dolla, take an empty quart can to your local auto paint store.  Peruse their paint chips until you find the maroon of your dreams, then talk them into putting just the pigment mix for that color into your quart can (pigments are all dry powders these days).  Then take 'em home, mix in a quart of clear Lite-coat, and enjoy.

When I inquired locally about this ('cuz it's what Randy Powell does) they gave me a price for a quart of color that was north of $150.  I decided I'd just get a gallon each of red, white, and blue, and then claim that my color schemes were motivated by patriotism rather than parsimony.

The reason I'm being so dodgy is because there is no such thing as one color of paint -- the colors are mixed from several base pigments, and chances are high that anything that you get by mixing colors on your own (red + blue for maroon, for instance) is going to be muddy compared to what you'd get from a custom mix.  If you've ever had one of those glass bottles of Sig dope that settled out you'd see what I'm talking about (mine settled in quite distinct layers).  Someone will tell you it's a great idea, someone else will tell you what I just told you -- I'll believe whatever Billy Byles or Mark Scarborough tell you, and remember it for later.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 02:18:59 PM »
Two things.

First, I just have a pint mixed at the paint store. And , depending on the color, it's seldom more that $20 or so. I've had a few that were more expensive depending on a ton of factors.

Second: To answer the question, start with a red you like and add blue until you get maroon. If you start with reference red and add reference blue you won't need much blue to get maroon. Too much and you get purple.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 06:13:23 PM »
the kink to this, if you use a blue that is on the green side, or a red that is on the green side,, you will get mud, you need a blue that is red tint, and a red that is blue tint,,
this wont make much sense unless you see an actual color bank in a paint store,, there are probably 6 blues,, and the same or more reds,, but the basic idea is, get the cleanest red and cleanest blue you can, bright crisp color, and start from there,, might need a touch of yellow to kill the purple tinge, ,but its all in what you want
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 07:00:14 PM »
Any reason why it has to be SIG Dope?   Just buy some Brodak maroon.  They are perfectly compatible.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 07:09:19 PM »
Any reason why it has to be SIG Dope?   Just buy some Brodak maroon.  They are perfectly compatible.

Yep, and it covers great.

Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 08:56:59 PM »
First, I just have a pint mixed at the paint store. And , depending on the color, it's seldom more that $20 or so. I've had a few that were more expensive depending on a ton of factors.

Maybe it's a "shop around to find someone" sort of deal.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 09:10:43 PM »
Maybe it's a "shop around to find someone" sort of deal.
One thing you may be missing Tim, Randy gets a pint can with the amount of toner you would use for a pint of base color, My guess, its less than half a pint when he walks out the door.
if you want a Quart of toner, that is likely enough to mix with binder and resin to make at least two quarts of color, HUGE difference in quantity
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 09:27:02 PM »

Peruse their paint chips until you find the maroon of your dreams, then talk them into putting just the pigment mix for that color into your quart can (pigments are all dry powders these days).  Then take 'em home, mix in a quart of clear Lite-coat, and enjoy.

If one was to try this, what volume of the "pigment mix" would you want to add to a quart of (un-thinned) clear?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 06:18:02 AM »
Any reason why it has to be SIG Dope?   Just buy some Brodak maroon.  They are perfectly compatible.

Cause I have a lot of it.....
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 12:22:19 PM »
Cause I have a lot of it.....

Just as another option, and I realize that you want to use your Sig dope (an excellent product, in my opinion) Randolph butyrate has two maroons:

X-5680 Boston Maroon
X-5749 Stinson Maroon (darker than Boston maroon & matches the 108 series Stinsons)

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty carries & mixes the Randolph dopes & ships promptly, although the minimum quantity is a quart.  The Boston maroon is about $31.00 per quart.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here