News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:34:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: KBS Diamond Clear - rattle can  (Read 13059 times)

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: KBS Diamond Clear - rattle can
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2016, 04:49:08 AM »
   I have been using the spray 2k can for about 5 years now. It is a very good product. I have experimented with it, a bit. At someone's suggestion here, I put it in the freezer immediately after shooting a combat plane repair. I would say I had a solid half a can.  A month later I was able to spray it with no ill affects. I then put it back in the freezer and a total of 6 months later I pulled it out and still was able to rattle the ball in the can. Okay, I'll go for it!! I applied it on another combat plane. Unfortunately, it thickened and didn't flow out properly. There was no problem with adhesion or anything but, the orange peel was severe. Sanding the plane back down was like sanding my sidewalk! mw~

My point is there seems to be a window where it can be used past the pot life. Just some food for thought and I wouldn't recommend planning on doing this on your world class stunter but,  this might be useful to some.

This is for information purposes and your mileage may vary!

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2016, 05:12:00 AM »
Tom,

I think that information came from Dennis.

IMHO, Guys that do world class stunters don't use aerosol cans.

My guess would more of base color coat and clear coat with products from the auto industry, especially the 2 part clears.

Then again, a few might use dope and wax their models to death.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2016, 10:55:51 AM »
4:00 AM and I have to walk Red our wonderdog. Unbelievable.

Mark,

I removed that Post. It was from Stupid Stunt anyway and doesn't belong in this Forum.

I can see there's absolutely no way anyone is going to get you under control.

Be it as it may, you're one of the guys that control and run the Forum.

You always have.

P.S.

Mark,

Why are you making derogatory remarks towards individuals that have interest in my work?

There's absolutely no reason or need for that.

I think you should reconsider that statement and offer an apology. it's only a couple of guys, but none the less.

I have made no derogatory comments to anyone Charles,, I stand by what I said, quit trolling me, quit trying to make me the bad guy because I wont let you spew false information ( or more corectly misleading information)
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2016, 03:43:08 PM »
I have made no derogatory comments to anyone Charles,, I stand by what I said, quit trolling me, quit trying to make me the bad guy because I wont let you spew false information ( or more corectly misleading information)

I'm sure you don't believe you have and I'm fine with that.

What are you building for upcoming events? Something interesting?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2016, 03:46:22 PM »
This thread is about KBS Clear, not about what I am building, its already been corrupted enough
at some point I will be posting a thread about my building
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2016, 08:33:43 AM »
So, now that we are back to the paint question, has anyone used the LusterKote clear as a final top coat over dope? IF so what nitro % do you use?

Seems if this works it is the cheapest, least toxic and readily available material.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2016, 10:28:42 AM »
MY problem with (supposed to be cheaper) Luster Coat is the amount of dud cans I got...especially the color cans but did have two clear duds  (dud= contents will not spray without a lot of spit n sputter from solids even after hours of shaking and increasing temp to 115F)

I fly profile .35ish planes and quite a few 1/2a Cox powered buggers...so Nitro range is 10% to 35%

MY experience is A-Typical because I don't get a high count of flights on any one airframe, and my casual flying is sedate enough that I do have the will and time to properly clean them after use

This thread is about KBS Diamond clear..in a moment

One of my older (to me) planes is a Sig 1/2a Sky Ray with Black Widow fed exclusively Sig Champion 35%
Sig Orange and Red color dope with Sig Non Tautening LiteCoat Clear...mostly used to seal the supplied decals... to date flown about 15 flights over 5 years and still no discoloration or softening of the finish (even behind the engine, just looked)... I know Dope is NOT fuel proof so this is mostly about my anal post flight cleaning regimine

I have dozen or so combat 1/2As with TeeDee, Fora, Norvel, and Picco engines...these are mostly foam with balsa and some hardwood... SLC or Doculam wing covering--- generally all wood is thinned epoxy fuel proofed, several with Dope or Rustoleum top colors.. More than 25% nitro used in all of them.. exhaust does not blemish them but raw fuel can and does...

You guys are mostly Stunt and care about appearance points.....I do take personal pride, and strive for good finishes, but I am not a contestant so not overly anal about polishing out for Perfect finish

Old joke but true in ANY endeavor

There are three(3) characteristics/variables but YOU can only ever have two(2) of them

Fast
Good
Cheap

Fast and Good will not be Cheap
Fast and Cheap will not be Good
Good and Cheap will not be Fast

So with all the available clears it really comes down to desired end result

MY person use of KBS Diamond Clear is over my Dope or Rustoleum Color paint..
I am anal about paint prep
Sanding
Air blow out side
Cleaning  (diaper cloth rag with 91% alcohol)
Wax Tack rag
Gloves
I Never run any engine in my shop
I Will kill ANYone who brings ANY Silicone into my shop

I did NOT Use KBS Diamond Clear for any final High Gloss finish... I just desired a easy to use final Fuel proof coating

I have 2 of the 4 oz sample kits  and NOW two spray cans of the 15oz (much better value IMO...if they have any shelf life Yet to be determined)
I used all of one 4Oz can (unthinned) in a Preval Sprayer over Well cured and Absolutely clean prepped Duplicolor Enamel  (underlying layers are Nitrate and Butyrate Dopes) DC 540 primer mostly sanded off
The Diamond Clear was used to close off all ingress points and seal decals. The, Preval sprayed, KBS Diamond shine was (not perfect)  but IMO plenty good n shiny
BUT at $21 plus shipping I thought pretty expensive for the two airframes

With the KBS Diamond 15% to 35% Vitamin N does not seem to have any visual nor cleaning rag evidence of being attacked

One Ring Master and one of the RSTs have KBS Diamond clear on the nose and fuselage... both over Rustoleum color... Fuel is 15% for both the Fox 35 and the LA 25...two years old now with about a dozen flights on each... no crinkling/wrinkling, color transfer, or loss of shine

BTW my use of this KBS stuff, rather than the two part spray bombs... was about cost and ease of use --- I tend to think if I ever activated a two part spray can, MOST of my $19 would end up in the trash

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2016, 04:22:51 PM »
I'd personally still like to see this thread cleaned up with any post that doesn't refer to actual use of KBS Diamond Clear deleted. Including mine. Randy is empowered to do that, in case he's forgotten or never read the Moderator's Operating Manual. C'mon, Randy!  S?P Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2016, 10:49:32 AM »
Mean while back at the KBS Diamond Clear discussion, is seems as long as the surface is new wood and the substrate is dope that has gassed off a few weeks, the KBS will stick and protect. I have had the crinkle surface with both Epoxy and LusterKote over old dope, even with a very good degreasing. I think this is the same thing that happens to the KBS. These paints form a mechanical bond (glue itself to the surface) to the substrate. I wonder if on say a refinish one could do the degrease then do the substrate/color in dope (which seems to be able to absorb some minor amount of oil) then seal the color with clear dope then do the KBS Clear final coat. This may be worth doing a simple strip test on a couple pieces of old plane parts.  

Best,    DennisT
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 04:06:28 PM by Dennis Toth »

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2016, 05:29:54 PM »
Did your prep include some scuffing with Scotchbrite or wet/dry sandpaper to give the KBS a "tooth"? I can't see it working without that.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2016, 04:11:33 PM »
Steve,
I agree that the substrate with dope would need prep and either the Scotch pad or 400 paper would do the trick. When I put it on the old MonoKote I just degreased and brushed it on. I think the MonoKote surface comes clean with the degreaser and the KBS seems to stick well to clean plastic.

Best,    DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags: KBS 

Advertise Here