News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:43:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How a Polyurethane Top Coat Works.  (Read 1749 times)

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
How a Polyurethane Top Coat Works.
« on: November 09, 2016, 04:52:57 PM »
I've never seen anyone mention this, so here goes.  My son got into car painting for awhile.  He repainted the door on the Fiero.  He tried several times but just couldn't get the base color to look at all smooth. We talked about a clear top coat over acrylic enamel and he eventually said what the heck.  So he put on one coat of polyurethane clear top coat.  The next day it looked fabulous- smooth, glossy, almost perfect.  But if you looked closely you could see that all the imperfections in the base coat had nearly disappeared under the top coat.  They obviously still had to be there but they'd turned nearly invisible.

A while later we were looking at cars and happened to look at the Corvette on display(not seriously).  I noticed the hood and rear deck looked absolutely gorgeous- totally smooth, no blemishes or anything to be seen.  Then I looked at the doors.  They looked just as good at an arms length, but if you got up close it was obvious that the yellow paint underneath was pretty prominently orange peeled.  But from a couple feet away the clear coat made it disappear.

We also saw something similar on an ARF plane.  One of the guys in the club had a Brodak Oriental ARF painted with very light clear top coat.  All the covering edges bumps, etc. disappeared.  The extra paint only added an ounce an a half or so.

So I guess that's why 15 coats of clear dope, sanding and buffing out, and polishing aren't really required.  The polyurethane clear does all that with one light coat, plus its a lot more fuel resistant.  From a distance its hard to tell, but up close the dope finish looks a little softer or 'deeper'.  Either one is way better than the crappy finishes I prefer.
phil Cartier

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: How a Polyurethane Top Coat Works.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 06:18:47 PM »
The reason Dope looks warm and friendly,, hand rubbed, is because its not completely polished, and most times cant be,, its to soft ot hold a good gloss for very long, not to mention it dries for ever! and is always shrinking to some extent.

Urethane clear only appears to hide stuff because its super shiney,, and clear,, you can see the imperfections under it for sure,

( please keep in mind I have done show car paint and body, my perspective is somewhat OCD when it comes to paint work)
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here