News:

• April 16, 2024, 12:46:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Good enamel paint for brush work  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Alex Rillos

• Scratch Builder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Good enamel paint for brush work
« on: March 29, 2017, 04:46:49 PM »
I decided to paint my models using a brush and would like some opinions about paint. I already tried Rustoleum oil enamel but it takes too long to dry. Water based acrylics only for electrics? I use both glow and electric motors. Thanks!

Offline Gary Mondry

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Good enamel paint for brush work
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 08:59:55 PM »
Jim Kraft over in Abilene has been brushing butyrate dope on his models for years.  You'd never know without close inspection.  It takes thin dope and a restrained brushing technique.  He posts here regularly.  Hopefully he'll see this.  He has posted about it here before, so a search should turn something up.
AMA 10663

Offline Alex Rillos

• Scratch Builder
  • Ensign
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 02:49:04 PM »
Jim Kraft over in Abilene has been brushing butyrate dope on his models for years.  You'd never know without close inspection.  It takes thin dope and a restrained brushing technique.  He posts here regularly.  Hopefully he'll see this.  He has posted about it here before, so a search should turn something up.
Thanks, Gary. Got good info from those threads. Butyrate dope would be the way to go. Will test it with some plasticizers like Dave Brown Flex-All.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 08:39:59 PM »
I decided to paint my models using a brush and would like some opinions about paint. I already tried Rustoleum oil enamel but it takes too long to dry. Water based acrylics only for electrics? I use both glow and electric motors. Thanks!

The best I have seen is 2-part epoxy. It is *much* easier to brush than dope since it flows out over a much longer period - minutes instead of seconds. With care, you can get decent results with it.

Brett

Offline Alex Rillos

• Scratch Builder
  • Ensign
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 10:42:29 AM »
     The best I have seen is 2-part epoxy. It is *much* easier to brush than dope since it flows out over a much longer period - minutes instead of seconds. With care, you can get decent results with it.

Brett
Thanks, Brett. It sounds interesting. Which brand? I believe Hobbypoxy is not available anymore.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 10:49:17 AM »

Brett

Some brand paints offer "brushing additives." Retarders, designed for brush applications.

Might want to look into that?

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Alex Rillos

• Scratch Builder
  • Ensign
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 10:54:29 AM »
I just checked Klass Kote. Too expensive for me, at $35.00 a pint! But thanks anyway.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 06:32:16 PM »
Alex,
Rather than brushing you could get a Preval 9 oz. Complete Spray Gun from Home Depot for $4.97. I've used them and they work great with dope. One power head will get you through a full size stunt ship. You can get extra paint jars.

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here