News:

• April 18, 2024, 09:15:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dupli-Color White Spray Can Primer  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Harold Brewer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Dupli-Color White Spray Can Primer
« on: March 22, 2017, 04:08:53 PM »
    Well, after reading some of the posts about using rattle can primers, I went to my local NAPA store and bought a can of Dupli-Color white primer to try on my Litewave.  I has several issues. After lots of shaking to mix, I started to spray.  The spray, instead of coming out in a nice mist, gave a pattern that was full of globs of paint, making a good even coverage nearly impossible.  In addition, I had more paint on my hand than on the plane.  Did I just get a bad can, or have others had a similar experience?

Brew H^^

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Dupli-Color White Spray Can Primer
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 06:55:35 PM »
what do you consider a lot of shaking, IF I have use for a rattle can, I shake it for three of four minutes, then I warm it in a bath of very warm water. THen I shake it more,, and more, then heat, then shake again. I would be leary that the nozzle is clogged or messed up, like someone started to use or spray it, then did not invert and clean it.

also keep in mind that primer is primer primarily because of the particulate matter in the product. Keeping that in mind, if that can sat for months or years, it would not be a surprise at all that it would need a LOT of shaking. I mean 10 to 15 minutes coupled with hot water bath. It can settle out very hard.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Harold Brewer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 12:14:06 PM »
well, I decided to try it again and went up to my local NAPA store and picked up a can of Colorline grey primer (NAPA DC540).  Shook it up well and sprayed.  What a difference!  Very nice and fine spray pattern with excellent coverage; very easy to apply.  Let it dry for two days and found that it dry sanded very well.  Now I'm ready to paint.  Can I shoot color dope directly over it, or does it need to be sealed with a coat of clear?

Brew
 H^^

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 12:26:47 PM »
I much prefer the DC 540 and it does need a good sanding before a color or top coat but I have not ever gone back over the primer with a seal coat....
  But then I tend to first seal coat and fill all balsa wood before the DC 540 primer....Lately with non taut Butyrate dope but before with Nitrate dope

DC 540 primer usually sprays good, drys fast, and sands easy once dry....pity my Napa is 56 miles away and only ever has 2 cans on the shelf
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 01:01:58 PM »
Sounds like my NAPA store,  only 2 cans at a time.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 06:21:08 PM »
The DC-540 is the good stuff. I had terrible results with the white Duplicolor primer too, but my problem was it hardened too much for a good sanding job. I really like the Perfect Match Duplicolor acrylic lacquer paints, and they spray right on top of the primer. I like their adjustable nozzle and triangular spray pattern too.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 06:26:20 PM »
well, I decided to try it again and went up to my local NAPA store and picked up a can of Colorline grey primer (NAPA DC540).
I was wondering if one of the Duplicolor brand primers was the same as the NAPA 540. Oreilly probably has it, but I didn't want to risk getting the wrong stuff, so I went to the NAPA store where they sell both.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here