News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:20:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Canopies  (Read 5188 times)

Offline Sean McEntee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Canopies
« on: December 05, 2015, 08:19:53 PM »
In order to get that "20 point finish" look, what treatment does the canopy get.  Is there a pollish out there that gets it a-gleaming?  Does one clear it with the rest of the model (I'm guessing not but that's why I'm here)?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Canopies
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 08:53:37 PM »
This old man just clear paints the canopy with rest of the plane.  And as you've seen I don't polish the plane either. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 09:15:11 PM »
This old man just clear paints the canopy with rest of the plane.  And as you've seen I don't polish the plane either. H^^

Haha I hear you Doc!  Right now my finishing skills don't quite match my flying abilities, so I think the last 8 years of my Army career will be best spent getting caught up. That way, when I retire and I have more time, I can start disappointing people  8)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 06:37:01 PM »
When I sand the plane, I sand the canopy, too. Then shoot catalyzed polyurethane and sand and polish the whole thing. And use a buffer.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 02:01:48 PM »
i epoxy the canopy to bare wood, make a radious with superfill, prime, paint then sand with 1200 wet sandpapaper and clear coat
polish and thatīs all

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 10:57:37 PM »
But WHAT about the COCKPIT .   %^@ S?P :)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 11:04:09 PM »
Knactuleary, Dave REES did an artical on fitting out cockpits in THIS issue of F. M .
Styrene sheet ejector seats & cockpit walls , for his Talon & Gnat .
And pin heads and other things to work loose with vibration .
One of the troll with bouncey eye dolls might be better .

H^^

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 09:18:57 PM »
But WHAT about the COCKPIT .   %^@ S?P :)

There's over 300 separate pieces in this cockpit. Epoxy and micro-balloons around the base with a thin spread of auto body putty over the micro-balloons.

No clear on the canopy, just masked off for paint and the final semi-gloss clear coat.

The build can be seen at the Mig-3 build Thread over at CFC Graphic's vendor's corner.

Charles

Edited for better photos.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 10:48:19 AM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 09:28:29 AM »
Hi Sean,

From my resident experts that I stole er....ahem...... borrowed my finishing strategy from (Billy, Bob, and Windy) I got that you basically finish the clear canopy like the rest of the paint job once you are in the clear coat stage.  Use whatever clear you finish the top coats with and rub out.

Charles,

I have told you.... you need to enter C/L scale.......

Bill

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 03:23:48 PM »
Hi Sean,

From my resident experts that I stole er....ahem...... borrowed my finishing strategy from (Billy, Bob, and Windy) I got that you basically finish the clear canopy like the rest of the paint job once you are in the clear coat stage.  Use whatever clear you finish the top coats with and rub out.

Charles,

I have told you.... you need to enter C/L scale.......

Bill

Bill,

Can't forget the final coat of clear must be fuel proof. It's not questionable with auto two part clears.

Bill, You're being kind, CL Scale is about much more than just building a nice scale model.

If the KOI had scale events I would look into it. Possibly.

The Gee Bee Z could be a possibility depending on how I finish the model and I think the Stuka Tank Buster might fit in someplace?.

Seems like the Forum is slow right now, not much going on? The Forum gives me ambition when I see building project Threads. At the moment I don't have any modeling ambition.

Thanks for the kind words Bill.

Charles

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 03:41:40 AM »
There's over 300 separate pieces in this cockpit. Epoxy and micro-balloons around the base with a thin spread of auto body putty over the micro-balloons.

No clear on the canopy, just masked off for paint and the final semi-gloss clear coat.

The build can be seen at the Mig-3 build Thread over at CFC Graphic's vendor's corner.

Charles

Edited for better photos.

AWESOME as usuall Charles!
nice finish indeed!
and i second Bill, go Scale!
you have the skills, just need the have a bite on a nice project!
i am working on my first c/l scale down here

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 06:48:32 AM »
AWESOME as usuall Charles!
nice finish indeed!
and i second Bill, go Scale!
you have the skills, just need the have a bite on a nice project!
i am working on my first c/l scale down here

Fred,

Bill has always encouraged me to participate in scale. I may give it a shot with the Gee Bee Z. Gotta get it done first.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here