News:

• April 24, 2024, 07:16:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Balsa fillers, putties, finishing materials  (Read 3657 times)

Offline Steve Conn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Balsa fillers, putties, finishing materials
« on: November 15, 2016, 08:47:24 PM »
Back to U/C modeling after 50 years.  What is available for filling external joints such as wing to fuselage, etc?   I'm really looking for a putty-type material to fare-in joints before final finishing.  Back when I was actively building we used Ambroid glue and just smoothed a bead into joints with fingers.   Can someone recommend a product or two?

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Balsa fillers, putties, finishing materials
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 09:27:47 PM »
Back to U/C modeling after 50 years.  What is available for filling external joints such as wing to fuselage, etc?   I'm really looking for a putty-type material to fare-in joints before final finishing.  Back when I was actively building we used Ambroid glue and just smoothed a bead into joints with fingers.   Can someone recommend a product or two?

Steve,

First post, WELCOME!

I use micro-balloons and Epoxy.

Most use this blue material called, "Featherfill" I think it's called that? You will get other replies.

Robert/Sparky just did a video on exactly your subject.

There's a Thread someplace.

Good luck,

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 09:40:13 PM »
there are several options, charles stated he uses microballoons and epoxy, this is the old school way, its heavy and not very user freindly.
I have tried epoxylite and a couple others including epoxy and microballoons, I dont like any of them,
The product He mentioned is called Superfill. It is the cats meow, its light, very strong, and easy to work with.
it is available from Aircraft Spruce and SPecialty company. YOu have to buy a large quantity, but it goes a LONG LONG way
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Steve Conn

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 10:07:50 AM »
Thanks Charles & Mark.  Since it looks like I'm going to be ordering dope from AS&S in order to get enough for my new projects, I'll add the Super Fill to my order.   I have an original stunt Nobler that I built in 1966.   It's still straight and true and I have the original Fox 35 on a test stand right now to clear the cobwebs before putting it back in the plane this weekend.  Quite a few things have changed in UC and with materials for the planes but I'm looking forward to sharing the hobby with my grandson (he's 7).   Last question:   Can Aero Gloss dope be purchased anywhere?   All I can find in the shops is little 1 and 3 oz. bottles of a brand that I don't recognize. H^^

Offline Steve Conn

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 10:13:36 AM »
Charles:   What are micro-ballons?

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 10:15:05 AM »
 Last question:   Can Aero Gloss dope be purchased anywhere?   
[/quote]

LOL! Yeah, we'd all like to find that again!  y1

Best bet (AFAIC) is to order your buterate dope from Brodak. They have it in 4 oz., 16 oz., and quarts.

Welcome back to CL!

Jerry

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 10:18:29 AM »

Steve, They are little glass spheres and are used as a fill substance with resin.
I don't recommend the as they are weak. Much better is "Milled" fiber. These items can be purchased at your local surf shop.

Cheers, Jerry

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 10:21:59 AM »
Steve, you got me thinking, another thing that you can do (cheap) is use balsa dust and Ducco cement. A whole bunch of dust and a drop of Ducco mixed to a paste works for small dings that need to be sanded.

Good luck, Jerry

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 12:21:50 PM »

Steve,

That's a good question.

I honestly don't know and I really don't have to know, neither does anyone else.

Let me explain.

Micro-balloons are tiny tiny bits of "something?" almost like a powder, that you mix with Epoxy, or back in the day when we used Polyester resins. That's Old School.

I don't think what is in the container is "Glass." Maybe the answer is at Google.

Anyway, you mix micro-balloons with Epoxy and the ratio gives you a mixture that enables you to do quite a few things with it. That's why I like it.

Mix a bit with Epoxy and hardener and it still remains a strong "glue" or bonding chemicle, which BTW would be difficult to sand but remain extreamly strong. R/C .25" plywood firewalls for example.

Add a greater ratio of the mix and you wind up with a dry "extremely light" material that can be used exactly for the use you inquired about. At the dry but sticky state, it dries quickly and is easy to sand.

SUPERFILL.

I thought about it, but blue isn't my favorite color.  LL~

Superfill is still an Epoxy and requires a two part mix, A and B just like any Epoxy. However, it's consistancy is already in paste form. I'm not sure the consistancy can be controlled.

Never used it, thought about it, I did do a quick study. Works well for those that want to use it.

Choices? Aren't choices great.

My winning game is Micro-balloons made by Top Flite. 5.99 most hobby shops. Been using it on all my R/C models and now my CL models.

I use very little because I don't like the build up or large fillers.

All these following models have micro-balloones used on them in one place or another, especially as a filler at the wings and fuselage.

Oh, and I used no colored dope as paint.

Steve, welcome again. Buckle up and hold on to something!

Charles

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 12:45:24 PM »
Yes we know what Microballoons are,,
here is a really good selection of info
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=MICROBALLOONS

basically there are phenolic  ( typically red in color) and glass ( typically white in color)
they basically are hollow spheres that are VERY small.. the contribute nothing to strength when used.

Superfill is the most versitile, workable product available in my opinion ( and that of many others)
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 01:39:08 PM »
contribute nothing to strength when used.

How's that? The user has control of the mix, well explained in my text above.

YOU control the strength by adding whatever percentage of micro-balloons you elect.

I've been there done that a hundred times. Old and new school. Also works well when gluing formers in fiberglass fuselages cut 50%, as an example.

Try that with Superfill.

Someone, in a unrelated Thread, just said they do this 50% mix with it when building. Maybe MM said it?

Here's my personal take. The micro-balloons work for many applications, so why have a couple more containers around that do the same thing, but less things?

And, as I said, that color.

BTW, I mix black artist paint with it to get a shade of gray when I use it. The Gee Bee R-3 is spotted with it.

"Epoxy=Epoxy"

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 02:00:56 PM »
micro balloons do not add to the strength of the epoxy, anything you add to epoxy as a filler weakens it.
the more you use the weaker it is...
nos that said, when used as a matrix, as with glass or carbon fiber it will create a matrix that is stronger than the epoxy itself but thats because of the MATRIX,,
Microballoons are not there to enhance the strength, what they do is disburse the epoxy and lighten it. when you fair in a wing fillet, you are not adding microballoons to add strength, you are adding them to get a broader bond surface and to make them sandable.
they do not sand as well as Superfill,, well they COULD but by the time you add enough microballoons to the epoxy to make them sand well, the epoxy has pretty much become worthless for bonding...

Charles,, do what you will, I am steering people into things that work today,, we have learned since the 70s and 80s. if you choose not to come into modern times, thats your choice, but please dont handicap others.

thanks
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 02:05:43 PM »

after re reading this, I wonder if you are refering to problems like ill fitting sheeting? or were you talking about places like fillets..
for fillets and that like, then Superfill is the answer.
if you are talking about filling flaws in fitment or dents, thats another issue entirly.. thats where I would use lacquer spot putty like this
https://www.amazon.com/3M-05096-Acryl-Green-Spot-Putty/dp/B004BZOTQQ

be advised, this is an air dry product and it will shrink just like dope , it is intended for very small imperfections, very small, and apply in layers with sufficient dry time.
Some people use catalysed spot putty like evercoat, but on bare balsa its hard to sand it smooth since it is harder than the balsa by a bunch..

Please feel free to contact me for any additional information.. I have a little experience with painting and such,,  H^^
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 02:28:28 PM »
Epoxy mixed with microballoons and either flocking or milled glass. 

Flocking is cotton, relatively safe to use , and very little stiffens the mixture considerably. 

Milled fiberglass is glass fiber.  The air born dust is a significant breathing hazard.  A small quantity thickens the mixture quickly.

Microballoons are air filled spheres, more or less, and it takes a significant amount of filler to thicken the epoxy.

90% microballoons and 10% flocking or milled glass is a pretty easy to work with mixture.  Fairly light, stiffens well, and easy to work with. 

You may need to pre thicken the A and B parts of the epoxy before mixing them together so you can add enough filler to get the right mix.  This is very important with faster epoxies.

Because epoxy produces amenine blush (Wax basically) washing the cured surface with ammonia and water is a good idea prior to finish sanding for paint.

Phil

Offline Steve Conn

• New Pilot
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 02:44:40 PM »
Steve,

That's a good question.

I honestly don't know and I really don't have to know, neither does anyone else.

Let me explain.

Micro-balloons are tiny tiny bits of "something?" almost like a powder, that you mix with Epoxy, or back in the day when we used Polyester resins. That's Old School.

I don't think what is in the container is "Glass." Maybe the answer is at Google.

Anyway, you mix micro-balloons with Epoxy and the ratio gives you a mixture that enables you to do quite a few things with it. That's why I like it.

Mix a bit with Epoxy and hardener and it still remains a strong "glue" or bonding chemicle, which BTW would be difficult to sand but remain extreamly strong. R/C .25" plywood firewalls for example.

Add a greater ratio of the mix and you wind up with a dry "extremely light" material that can be used exactly for the use you inquired about. At the dry but sticky state, it dries quickly and is easy to sand.

SUPERFILL.

I thought about it, but blue isn't my favorite color.  LL~

Superfill is still an Epoxy and requires a two part mix, A and B just like any Epoxy. However, it's consistancy is already in paste form. I'm not sure the consistancy can be controlled.

Never used it, thought about it, I did do a quick study. Works well for those that want to use it.

Choices? Aren't choices great.

My winning game is Micro-balloons made by Top Flite. 5.99 most hobby shops. Been using it on all my R/C models and now my CL models.

I use very little because I don't like the build up or large fillers.

All these following models have micro-balloones used on them in one place or another, especially as a filler at the wings and fuselage.

Oh, and I used no colored dope as paint.

Steve, welcome again. Buckle up and hold on to something!

Charles

Thanks guys, I've learned alot and it's nice to have experienced builders to ask on these subjects.  I'm a silk and dope guy from back when there weren't many options on finishing products so my learning curve is pretty steep right now.

Charles, that 007 plane is beautiful.  Not now, but I need to hear you explain how you composed those graphics.  Do you have a YouTube video by chance on this?

Steve

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2016, 02:56:39 PM »
micro balloons do not add to the strength of the epoxy, anything you add to epoxy as a filler weakens it.
the more you use the weaker it is...
nos that said, when used as a matrix, as with glass or carbon fiber it will create a matrix that is stronger than the epoxy itself but thats because of the MATRIX,,
Microballoons are not there to enhance the strength, what they do is disburse the epoxy and lighten it. when you fair in a wing fillet, you are not adding microballoons to add strength, you are adding them to get a broader bond surface and to make them sandable.
they do not sand as well as Superfill,, well they COULD but by the time you add enough microballoons to the epoxy to make them sand well, the epoxy has pretty much become worthless for bonding...

Charles,, do what you will, I am steering people into things that work today,, we have learned since the 70s and 80s. if you choose not to come into modern times, thats your choice, but please dont handicap others.

thanks

Mark,

Certainly and I believe everyone knows that microballons mixed with Epoxy will take some of the strength away.

70's and 80's, I remember them well, those were my active R/C days. You didn't enter into this hobby till the early 2000's. About 16 years correct?

Charles

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2016, 03:29:47 PM »
Mark,

Certainly and I believe everyone knows that microballons mixed with Epoxy will take some of the strength away.

70's and 80's, I remember them well, those were my active R/C days. You didn't enter into this hobby till the early 2000's. About 16 years correct?

Charles
I re-entered the hobby in about 2007, however I worked in the aerospace industry designing, and building parts for aircraft,, the ones people flyin,, and building molds, and parts for glass parts on same aircraft,, whats your point,, I also read magazines while I was raising my family since the early 70s.., I also talk to people who know, and LISTEN to them,, hence i learn,,

so are you implying I dont know history, or that I dont know what I am talking about,, I dont understand your comment
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2016, 03:37:44 PM »
Thanks guys, I've learned alot and it's nice to have experienced builders to ask on these subjects.  I'm a silk and dope guy from back when there weren't many options on finishing products so my learning curve is pretty steep right now.

Charles, that 007 plane is beautiful.  Not now, but I need to hear you explain how you composed those graphics.  Do you have a YouTube video by chance on this?

Steve

Steve,

Looks like you've been looking around the Forum taking in the offerings. Good for you!  H^^

Quick note about silk n dope. I'm that old school guy also. I tried newer covering products but went back to silk n dope. But that's me. I'm certainly not knocking other covering or materials. I use Sig dope. I find it works best for me.

In fact, I expect to silk the Gee Bee R-3 real soon. "Ira, how soon?" A line from the movie, Romancing the Stone.

The 007 Skyfall Flite Streak.

I don't do YouTube.

That model was easy, there's this guy I got the paint masks and graphics from. He's trouble but does good work.  LL~

The subject of my Flite Streak came up just a day or two ago. The modeler that sent it to me traded it for graphics. He reminded me in a recent e-mail, he's ordering paint masks this time.

That model was actually a learning tool for the application of silk and dope covering. Also the use of aerosol cans for color finishing. My background was auto graphics and auto paint, so I opted to use a 2K auto clear also offered in an aerosol can. 100% fuel proof and it will go over anything.

RknRusty, AKA Rusty Rattle Can, is the "go to" guy for the use of rattle cans. In all honesty, if it wasn't for Rusty, I would have used spray equipement.

There's plenty of information and other photos of that 007 Flite Streak. There is some information over at CFC Graphic's vendor's corner, but possibly not the build or finish. Not sure about that.

Hey! You never told us what you're working on?

What do you have going?

Thanks for the reply and interest.

Charles

Offline Steve Conn

• New Pilot
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2016, 08:36:18 PM »
after re reading this, I wonder if you are refering to problems like ill fitting sheeting? or were you talking about places like fillets..
for fillets and that like, then Superfill is the answer.
if you are talking about filling flaws in fitment or dents, thats another issue entirly.. thats where I would use lacquer spot putty like this
https://www.amazon.com/3M-05096-Acryl-Green-Spot-Putty/dp/B004BZOTQQ

be advised, this is an air dry product and it will shrink just like dope , it is intended for very small imperfections, very small, and apply in layers with sufficient dry time.
Some people use catalysed spot putty like evercoat, but on bare balsa its hard to sand it smooth since it is harder than the balsa by a bunch..

Please feel free to contact me for any additional information.. I have a little experience with painting and such,,  H^^

Thanks Mark.  I was talking about both actually......fillets and maybe a ding or two.  I'll try some Superfill and will get some of the spot putty.   I'm assembling my building materials from scratch so experimenting is expected.  I have a 1966 George Aldrich Nobler stunter and two, full-kit Ringmasters.  One is completed and has flown, and one is still in the kit box.  Both are early '60s vintage and belonged to an avid modeler who passed away recently.  I bought the two Ringmasters, a Fox .19, a Redhead McCoy .35 and a Cox .049 last Saturday here in Memphis.  The Nobler has always belonged to me and I built it originally after building two Ringmasters and a couple of slab 1/2A planes.  After 50 years and having traveled in a crate to England for two years (a very long story.....), the Nobler has a little hanger rash that I'm touching up and that has been the genesis of all the questions about dope, fillers and putty.   My own engines are a Fox Stunt 35 for the Nobler, a Fox 36X (non-BB), a McCoy Redhead .35 and a Cox TeeDee .051.  I've gotten some Klotz castor and worked out the math to bring the fuel up to 28% castor for the Fox engines and I'm mostly ready to go this weekend with the Nobler.   I fly by myself, so I've got to build a stooge launch device but that won't be tough.  Thanks again for all the advice and offers of help.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 09:30:26 PM »
glad to help,
please feel free to private message me, or email whichever, I am more than wiling to help share what I know,, there are things I dont know, but I can point you to people who do.

I have followed stunt for years, read, watched and only since 2006 have I been in a position to participate, however 20 plus years in a body shop has taught me a few things about paint, the biggest difference is of course with our models weight is a big deal, with cars not so much...
anyway, feel free, lots has changed but the options today are better than I have seen anytime before and people like Brett and others chime in to keep us who are not quite as experienced in line when needed..
enjoy
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags: fillers  paints  putty 

Advertise Here