News:

• April 18, 2024, 03:40:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Airless paint sprayer adaptable to modeling?  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Airless paint sprayer adaptable to modeling?
« on: December 02, 2016, 10:17:53 AM »
Here's one that's cheaper than buying an air compressor and gun, but could it even work?
https://www.zoro.com/wagner-handheld-paint-sprayer-max-flow-8-gph-0529010/i/G5174032/

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Airless paint sprayer adaptable to modeling?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 11:03:05 AM »
the short answer is no
it does not atomize the paint the same way we need , I am sure someone will come on and say it will work, but as a painter( both cars and houses) They are not made to work with the materials we use.

That said, will it spray paint, yes, could you use it to paint models,,, yes, is it a good solution, no, just like the Preval spray apparatus, it will "work" but it wont work!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 11:14:45 AM »
Lol, good point. Basically made to shoot heavier stuff?
I know nothing about paint. Trying to get into it. I got a couple speed planes I'm gonna build next year that I want to look amazing. I'll just wait and get a nice airbrush set up then.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 11:25:19 AM »
Its actually even more involved than that, its about surface tension within the paint material and the way it lays on the surface you spray.

an airbrush does not take much of a compressor, in fact, when I airbrushed t-shirts, I used a large compressed gas bottle of CO2 to drive my airbrush instead of a compressor. I could get about 60 hours of use out of a large bottle. I used an oxygen regulator to control the pressure to the gun. Its clean dry air unlike some issues you can have with a compressor. Not to mention I could set it up anywhere without having to string extension cords all over creation
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 12:16:47 PM »
Oh man that's a great idea! And I already have that stuff. I had an airbrush, but I've moved several times recently. So who knows where it ended up. I'll let you know when I get set up.
Thanks again Mark!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 06:46:48 PM »
  The CO-2 tank is a plastic modeler's trick also, especially for people living in apartments and such. If you don't have a tank, look for old soda fountain supplies and beer tap stuff. Most don't use CO-2 these days. CO-2 is cheap also. Badger has an adapter that fits the valve stem on a tire, or you can adapt to one of those portable air tanks dirt bike riders use. If you fill it from a know, dry air source, you should have moisture problems.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 11:11:34 PM »
Good luck with that.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 08:22:41 AM »
I agree with Mark. I have used one of the airless sprayers to spray epoxy on an OTS Guided Whistle. I got the finest nozzle they offered and reduced to normal spray consistency. It worked, but what it does is lay on a pretty thick and heavy coat when you do a "wet" coat. My approach was to do a dust coat then the wet coat, still it put on much more paint then desired and lots of overspray.

If you are using dope to do the base and color you could use it, you will likely build up the base in 1/3 the number of coats. Also let it dry a day or so between coats because of the extra material being applied. For the final finish let the dope gas off for a week or so then wet sand the last coat to get it flat and use something with a little less flow for the clear coat. I have used the Preval spray bottles,  they work fine if you are going to buff it out or can accept a pretty good but not perfect finish.

Best,  DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here