News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:29:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wood Props?  (Read 1933 times)

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Wood Props?
« on: March 12, 2017, 01:16:27 PM »

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Wood Props?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 01:56:34 PM »
The story that really fascinated...or disgusted...me was about the P-39's prop. The thing was always unimpressive, until after WWII was over, when somebody bolted a P-51 prop on it and totally changed the performance from mediocre to awesome. We'd think that even engineers would be savvy enough to try an assortment of different propellers on their new plane, right? Apparently not. S?P Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 06:08:12 PM »
The story that really fascinated...or disgusted...me was about the P-39's prop. The thing was always unimpressive, until after WWII was over, when somebody bolted a P-51 prop on it and totally changed the performance from mediocre to awesome. We'd think that even engineers would be savvy enough to try an assortment of different propellers on their new plane, right? Apparently not. S?P Steve

Wow...a lot American Pilots died in P-39's because of poor performance as compared to the Japanese fighters.  We sure could have used high performance P-39's in WWII, but unfortunately, it is a little too late now to worry about that.     D>K      H^^

Offline Astropuppy

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 09:35:37 PM »
Astropuppy

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 09:44:08 PM »
I am sure that a lot of improvements could have been made however it was all out war and production of war material was at max capacity.  There was no time for improvements.  I am sure someone was aware that a better prop would be wonderful but they just weren't available!  PS what a great story  H^^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 10:13:06 PM »

Wow...a lot American Pilots died in P-39's because of poor performance as compared to the Japanese fighters.  We sure could have used high performance P-39's in WWII, but unfortunately, it is a little too late now to worry about that.     D>K      H^^

Fantastic short movie. Thank you.
 On the P-39 you can thank those penny crunching bean counters back then. The P-39 was a very good fighter if it was set up right. It was never given the chance it deserved to prove it self. A lot of pilots were worried due to the engine location. The pilots feared the engine would crush them on a bad landing. Also the thought of the prop drive shaft running right underneath the pilot
 In the history of the P-39 not one engine mount failure to cause hurt the pilot. The plane had a better center of gravity and handled very well.
 But as mentioned above, to little to late.  Also a Steve mentioned. the prop was one fix. The engineers knew what the plane was capable of. It was  the freaking Gov't bean counters that should take the blame for holding back the 39's performance not Bell Aircraft.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 10:23:02 PM »
" In Russia we dont let pilots over 40 fly the Airacobra !."

Yeager , " Why " .

Russian ," Their balls get caught in the propshaft . "

Seems the Cold Climate suited them . Use machineguns to check sights , Then use the cannon .

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 03:52:59 AM »
Yeager said in his book that he would not have hesitated to fly the P-39 in Europe.  That's pretty good testimony in my estimation.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Online Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 10:25:03 AM »
The P-39 was better suited to low level ground attack with the cannon and bombs. The Russian front air battles were mostly low level and the cannon was good on tanks. The western front was mostly high level where the P-39 wasn't suited. The Russians didn't baby the engines to get the best performance out of it and to be a match for the Germans. There wasn't enough room for a bigger supercharger and the Russians them badly.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here